[Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would double check to make sure you drivers are installed correctly, debugging turned on with your device and possibly redownload the OCR package and try again.

Edit: Make sure antivirus is disabled on your computer during the rooting process...

Ncruze

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
ok so i finally got it to root. then i did the nandroid backup and it backed up and restored...then i rebooted but it never went past the SAMSUNG screen. i went back into the recovery mode and selected restore but still...rebooted and still wont go past the samsung screen

Can anyone help?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
ok so i finally got it to root. then i did the nandroid backup and it backed up and restored...then i rebooted but it never went past the SAMSUNG screen. i went back into the recovery mode and selected restore but still...rebooted and still wont go past the samsung screen

Can anyone help?

Which method of root did you perform? Regular RFS CWM2.5.1.0 or EXT4 conversion?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
i used the once click with cwm 3.0.0.6 ext4 ftw. Stock stock odexed ec05 doesnt boot ext4

2. Download an EC05 ROM that supports EXT4 (e.g. Bonzai 4.0, Syndicate 1.1, etc.) and place it on the root (not in a folder) of your SD card.

8. Now before you reboot, you need to flash the ROM from Step 2. Go to: install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard>(navigate to the ROM .zip file on your SD card)>(select it using the camera button)>yes. The ROM will now be flashed. Once the flashing is complete, you can now reboot and enjoy your new EXT4 filesystem :D Note: if you have problems booting up, you may need to repeat this step and flash your ROM a second time.

Above shows your problem.

oddeofile

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Standard Disclaimer: as with any Android modification, proceed at your own risk.

There are two procedures listed below: Procedure 1 will root your phone and install ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.1.0, leaving your filesystem in its stock RFS state; alternatively, Procedure 2 will install ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6 and convert your RFS filesystem to EXT4, allowing you to flash the latest ROMs and kernels.

It is recommended that you backup anything on your phone that you need before proceeding.

What is a filesystem?
A filesystem is a method of storing and organizing files and their data. Basically, a filesystem organizes your files into a database for the storage, organization, manipulation, and retrieval by the Android operating system.

What's the difference between RFS and EXT4?
RFS is Samsung's proprietary filesystem, which has a pretty poorly written driver and is overall not very efficient. EXT4 is the filesystem used by Linux, and is more efficient than RFS. EXT4's efficiency over RFS gives a noticeable boost in operating system responsiveness/performance (the nimble Nexus S uses EXT4).

What are the pros and cons of converting to EXT4?
Pros: increased OS speed/responsiveness, ability to install newer ROMs that require EXT4. Cons: once you convert to EXT4, if you want to flash a ROM that does not support EXT4 you must use Odin or flash a special zip in Clockwork to return to RFS (see last question before the procedure for more info).

What does this procedure do to my phone exactly?
It will permanently root your phone (if not already rooted; also safe for rooted phones), as well as install Clockwork v3.0.0.6, which will format "/cache", "/data" and "/system" from RFS to EXT4. Having an EXT4 filesystem will enable you to install ROMs with EXT4 support, and having Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will enable you to flash ROMs, kernels, themes, etc. that use Edify scripts.

What's an Edify script?
There are currently two ways to create flashable zip scripts. The first one is "update-script", also known as Amend. Amend was the first version of the scripting language created by Google, and was used in Android 1.0 and Cupcake (1.5). However, Amend has two serious design flaws: function arguments can not span more than 1 word, and the scripting language is compiled into the recovery causing image bloat and inflexibility. Because of this reason Google removed Amend support in Donut and beyond, and instead switched to update-binary and updater-script, which is also known as Edify.

However, Amend support was left in Clockwork, to help ease the transition off its usage in ROM creation. Clockwork needed to transition to using the newer Edify scripts to be compatible with Gingerbread. So we now have a recovery that is Gingerbread ready and uses the better Edify scripts instead of Amend scripts.

What do I need to get started?
A Windows computer (this is also possible on OSX and Linux, however there will be procedural differences not covered here), a USB cable, and an Epic 4G with official Froyo EB13 installed (does not matter if you're already rooted or have a custom ROM).

Is there any way to go back to my original setup after I do this?
Yes, you can use Odin to return to a completely stock state - see this thread.
My Epic won't reboot. Its stuck on the Samsung splash screen...any suggestions?

d8n0g

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
heres my ordeal:::

modem eco5
firmwareware 2.3.6
hardware d700..0.5
I am on random rom el30

Trying to go to bonsai and going thru this onestep to no avail

48479413.png

odin recognises me, etc-can someone help? Never had a problem like this-thanx guys!!!

tahx

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I just installed EC05 and want to root. It says 404 when I click on the 'one-click-exploit' link. Does anyone know where to get it?

NurseNerd435

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping someone is still looking at this thread. I completed all of the steps in the instructions and attempted to boot into CWM mode and now all I get is the samsung screen. No vib, no blue light... it just sits there on the samsung screen. I've tried every button combination I can think of and nothing happens. I think i may have created a paper weight. Can anyone help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon