[Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)

uscpsycho

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another thread but it's probably worth repeating in this thread too...

Because of problems with my phone I got a replacement Epic today. The phone had 2.1 and I asked them to put 2.2 on it. The tech asked me if I was sure I wanted 2.2 because they've been having problems with 2.2 and a new update will be out within a month. (I got the update.)

So it looks like there's another update in the works. I know Sprint employees get a lot of grief but the guy must have been pretty confident in his information if he was going ot let me continue dealing with 2.1.

Domenico

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
anyone have a problem with Odin stalling?

I followed the steps, and after the yellow light in Odin, hit start. I get a few messages, but once it gets to "SetupConnection" it doesn't do anything. I let it sit for 5 minutes and never get a green light or a reboot.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
just saw this, so am trying different USB ports, on my laptop though, so not a lot of choices

You can also pull your battery and leave it out to do the entire procedure. After pulling your battery, plug in your phone and then boot into Download mode and run the Odin process. Once its completed and you get the green pass it will shutdown. Then just pull the cord and pop your battery in and restart.

jockovonred

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does this method ([Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)) remove those two apk files as well?
Is busybox needed for CWM, MyBackup Root or Titanium Backup?

Updated from EB13 (manually applied) and rooted with OneClick to EC05 No Data Loss. So far, so good! Awesome work!

The only issue I have found after rooting EC05 with One Click is that is still removes the Asphalt and FreeHD apk files. It needs to do that to install busybox into /system/xbin. This will prevent any future OTA updates.

My History:
Round1
Stock DI18 updated to EB13 using update.zip.
Rooted using One Click (which removes Asphalt and FreeHD apk files).
Nandroid Backup (first backup)
Titanium Backup (first backup)

Round2
OTA from Sprint received but failed
SMS Backup + (backup all SMS pictures, MMS text and Call Logs to Gmail)
Forward voice mails to Gmail for safety
Titanium Backup (second backup)
Nandroid Backup (second backup)

Since two system apk files were removed using One Click, these must be put back into /system/app
Multiple attempts to cp, use root file manager apps and push (system_app_remove_n_restore_EB13) to get the two missing apk files restored
Not enough space in /system/app to get the two apk files back
Unroot (using Epic AIO 2.04), which resulted in root and busybox being removed, but alas still not enough space to get the two apk files restored

Odin + pit back to DI18 and then update to EC05 using update.zip
Epic AIO 2.04 to get root (unknown if CWM or Busybox installed)
Install SdxAppRemoval-1.5.apk
Using SdxAppRemoval, backup Asphalt5_DEMO_ANMP_Samsung_D700_Sprint_ML.apk and FreeHDGameDemos.apk
One Click to get CWM and Busybox (commenting out the removal of Asphalt and FreeHD apk files)
Busybox not installed as not enough space in /system/xbin
Unable to use SdxAppRemoval to delete the two apk files (system error)
Firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband version: S:d700.0.55.EC05
Build number: FROYO.EC05​
Nandroid Restore
Build number: FROYO.EB13

Round3
Odin + pit back to DI18 and then update to EC05 using update.zip
One Click to get CWM and Busybox again (removing Asphalt and FreeHD apk files)
Titanium Backup (restore all apps and data)
All data is back: apps and data
Multiple FC though for apps purchased via Amazon App
Uninstall Amazon App and all apps tied to it
Reinstall Amazon App and apps, now working without FC
Nandroid Backup (third backup)
Build number: FROYO.EC05​
Install MyBackup Root, backup all apps and data

So far I've had to reset some of the Sprint/Samsung stuff (login info, home screen lock), otherwise, everything else seems to be working without issue.
I can't really say if there's an improvement in speed or any other benefits being at EC05.
I only lost 3 texts messages as those weren't in Titanium Backup before starting Round2, but they are backed up in Gmail via SMS Backup +.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Does this method ([Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)) remove those two apk files as well?
Is busybox needed for CWM, MyBackup Root or Titanium Backup?

Yes they are removed because it is part of the rooting process. I can provide those two zips to be flashed in CWM.

No matter how you do it, the rooting methods we have will remove the Asphault Demo, I actually wasn't aware of the other file.

Let me know if you would like those files and I can provide them.

jockovonred

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the files but there's no way to restore them that I have found after using One Click as there's not enough space in /system/app.
I used another zip with CWM to try to put them back and they show but the file size is much less for Asphalt and 0 for FreeHD.
Does this mean always having to use Odin to revert back to stock?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the files but there's no way to restore them that I have found after using One Click as there's not enough space in /system/app.
I used another zip with CWM to try to put them back and they show but the file size is much less for Asphalt and 0 for FreeHD.
Does this mean always having to use Odin to revert back to stock?
I will look more into this. There is one other way that you maybe able to do this if those files are a must have.

Root Explorer from the Market. Costs about $1.99 and it allows rooted devices user access to the root level folders, example system/app. I'm not sure how this plays out on the ODEX version, but on deodexed you can simply copy and paste files right into the system/app directory and you would be able to place those files back.

It is worth a shot, I haven't done it personally with ODEX. If your up to trying, you would need to use WinRAR or 7zip to open up the CWM flashable you have with those "apks" in it and pull them out and place them on your sdcard. Then you can use Root Explorer to copy and paste them into the /system/app/ directory.

Or.. You can Odin back to stock and do as you please.

IZZY Dead

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Will your 2.5.1 Full wipe method take me back to stock odexed rooted coming from ext4 deodexed CWM 3.0. I need my camera back. I love the Bonsai Rom but my pictures are not sharp.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Will your 2.5.1 Full wipe method take me back to stock odexed rooted coming from ext4 deodexed CWM 3.0. I need my camera back. I love the Bonsai Rom but my pictures are not sharp.

Yes. You may have to run Odin twice, for some reason it likes to fail the first attempt after being on EC05. If it does fail run it the second time with your battery out of the phone and hook up your cable then boot into download mode and run the Odin package. Make sure all antivirus is off/disabled on your computer too...

Sent from my Epic 4g....

Reactions: IZZY Dead

jockovonred

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I will look more into this. There is one other way that you maybe able to do this if those files are a must have.

Root Explorer from the Market. Costs about $1.99 and it allows rooted devices user access to the root level folders, example system/app. I'm not sure how this plays out on the ODEX version, but on deodexed you can simply copy and paste files right into the system/app directory and you would be able to place those files back.

It is worth a shot, I haven't done it personally with ODEX. If your up to trying, you would need to use WinRAR or 7zip to open up the CWM flashable you have with those "apks" in it and pull them out and place them on your sdcard. Then you can use Root Explorer to copy and paste them into the /system/app/ directory.

Or.. You can Odin back to stock and do as you please.

The problem as I see it is if those two files exist, there isn't enough room for Busybox. If they are removed to allow Busybox to be installed, there isn't enough room to put them back later to grab an OTA or just run the update.zip.
It's appears to be a catch 22. Odin back to stock right now seems the only way, unless someone else has a method of increasing the amount of space in /system/app.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This could be true. But also if you think about it most people who root their devices normally aren't worried about receiving OTA updates. Reason being because another method its usually provided to update to the new update or they simply Odin back to stock to grab the update then root again and restore backups they made of their changes,etc.

Sent from my Epic 4g....