[Odin-EC05] Froyo EC05 Prerooted/CWM v2.5.1.0 RFS (Odexed)

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue as bjs188. Can someone PLEASE help us out? the only difference I'm having from him is that odin never gets past zimage... it then sits there for maybe three minutes, and then the phone promptly shuts off. Odin still reads no issues and i've left it sitting there for another ten minutes with no luck. when i unplug the phone, odin finally gives me a "FAIL!" message. When i try to boot the phone or get into recovery, the phone shows the little "phone/!/pc" icon that bjs188 described. I have tried multiple times, and yes, I HAVE tried without the battery. the only difference w/o the battery is a get a fail w/o the phone turning off or being unplugged. does anyone have a link to the swupdate package w/ eb13 so i can try bringing my phone back to life? or better yet, the DI18 package for odin so i can just just the EC05.zip in recovery?

This will restore you back to either stock EB13 or DI18 just follow the appropriate directions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...68-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

After you get back to stock DI18 you can follow the directions here to get to stock unrooted version of the EC05:http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...5-update-zip-method-custom-odin-packages.html

Dan1400

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am using the first method and everything looked to be working well. But it has been sitting at this step (<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..) for over 10 minutes and I am getting a little concerned that something isn't working properly. Any ideas?

Thanks

WesR6

Mar 6, 2011
www.wmriders.com
Thanks!

Well that makes two flawless firmware updates provided by this site. I did the original update.zip but was stuck with 2.2.1 eb13. Now after using the methods described here I am now on 2.2.1 EC05. No data loss. (I did backup just in case)

Thanks again for this wonderfull step by step program all of you took the time to make.

-Wes

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm really, really confused. Few questions...

1) Does the "no data loss" Odin method require the phone to be rooted already? If so, what is easiest way to root?
No, this method will install Froyo EC05 and also root your phone in the process.
2) When complete, will the "no data loss" method leave me with a rooted phone or will the phone be the same as if I got an OTA update?
Yes it will be rooted. Yes it would be the same as the official OTA, except your also rooted :)

3) What is CWM?
ClockWorkMod

4) If I use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root why do I have to manually download my apps? I thought these apps backed up your apps and data. And can someone confirm if either one of these apps will back up my SMS?
Yes they do allow you to backup your apps along with data but we have seen conflicts arise in the past when users try and restore apps and data from different OS versions. We always recommend redownloading your apps manually then you can restore DATA only to those apps.

In a nutshell what I want at the end of the day is an non-rooted phone with froyo and all my data. How do I get from a non-rooted DI18 to non-rooted EC05 with data intact?
Wait for the OTA update or use the update.zip method Sprint Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EC05 [update.zip method/Custom Odin Packages]
I probably sound like I'm technically hopeless which couldn't be farther from the truth. But I am not savvy when it comes to Android modifications, this isn't my domain. If someone can walk me through the process without 1000 acornyms I'd really appreciate it.

I'm sure it's just a few steps but all the threads seem geared for people who have their phones rooted and jacked up with ROMs. I just want plain vanilla froyo with my data transfered over. If I have to root my phone in the process that's fine but in the end I'd like my phone to be stock froyo. HELP! :confused:

Many thanks in advance.

I'm having the exact same issue as bjs188. Can someone PLEASE help us out? the only difference I'm having from him is that odin never gets past zimage... it then sits there for maybe three minutes, and then the phone promptly shuts off. Odin still reads no issues and i've left it sitting there for another ten minutes with no luck. when i unplug the phone, odin finally gives me a "FAIL!" message. When i try to boot the phone or get into recovery, the phone shows the little "phone/!/pc" icon that bjs188 described. I have tried multiple times, and yes, I HAVE tried without the battery. the only difference w/o the battery is a get a fail w/o the phone turning off or being unplugged. does anyone have a link to the swupdate package w/ eb13 so i can try bringing my phone back to life? or better yet, the DI18 package for odin so i can just just the EC05.zip in recovery?
[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone) , go here to restore to official Eclair 2.1 DI18

Reactions: WesR6

jimmyz

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Another question- now when I use adb shell the system is mounted read only- is this "stock"- previously using my rooted DI18 the system was mounted read write
Any insight on this one? thanks- BTW it looks like busybox is installed in xbin- do I have this right?

EDIT- looks like a mount script is included- I just used remount rw and voila

Last edited:

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just did this -thanks PAul and all- and got the green PASS. Phone rebooted, but Epic is stuck on Samsung screen for about 15 minutes now (still connected via USB)..

Wait longer, or re-do, or something else?

thanks

===
UPDATE... Well, I disconnected the USB cable from the Epic after 30 minutes and the Samsung logo was still hanging after disconnect. Removed the battery, powered ON, and crossed my fingers... happy to report that everything seems to be working fine. Loving the Froyo. This method is so easy, thanks again.
===

cheers/dom

Last edited:

faze1337

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> EC05x_DXC.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> cache.rfs
<ID:0/005> zImage

Its been about 15 minutes on this screen... is something wrong?
Update: my screen on my phone just went a black\blue color and blank..

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah pull it and check trouble shooting section in OP
<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> cache.rfs
<ID:0/005> zImage

Its been about 15 minutes on this screen... is something wrong?
Update: my screen on my phone just went a black\blue color and blank..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

rpankoe

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Tried flashing the zip for in CWM for the HTC Style battery indicator mod and the phone just freezes (or at least is all black) when turning on. I had to re-odin it. using the EpicOdexHTCStyle.zip from xda-development. It worked on EB13, but not this one.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Tried flashing the zip for in CWM for the HTC Style battery indicator mod and the phone just freezes (or at least is all black) when turning on. I had to re-odin it. using the EpicOdexHTCStyle.zip from xda-development. It worked on EB13, but not this one.

Yes could be something there that does differs from EB13 and EC05.

Boy1Da

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It has been on this screen for like 15 minutes and nothing is happening. What could I do?

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.rfs
<ID:0/004> zImage

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It has been on this screen for like 15 minutes and nothing is happening. What could I do?

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.rfs
<ID:0/004> zImage

Welcome to Android Central Boy, most problems happen because of connection... you are going to have to pull the cable, close odin and start again.

but check the following,,
  • any antivirus program is disabled
  • use USB ports in the back of the computer, if you already are try a different one
  • remove your battery and put the phone in download mode.Flash with the battery out

markz68

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did the full-wipe method because I had a custom ROM (Epic Experience 2.0.05) installed. Everything went great with the update.

However, now I cannot do certain things while attached to wifi (ie. use WeatherBug, activate ThinkFree Office, install apps, etc). All of that works when I turn off wifi.

With my custom ROM, this was not happening. Why is this happening now? How do I fix it?

Reactions: dominick

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did the full-wipe method because I had a custom ROM (Epic Experience 2.0.05) installed. Everything went great with the update.

However, now I cannot do certain things while attached to wifi (ie. use WeatherBug, activate ThinkFree Office, install apps, etc). All of that works when I turn off wifi.

With my custom ROM, this was not happening. Why is this happening now? How do I fix it?

Try resetting your wireless router

Reactions: markz68

jseger

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Worked great for those of us who upgraded to the last official release that was pulled. Did the no data wipe option.