My dads phone, for some reason, will not connect to anyones laptop..

I think the USB port is screwy.

Is there anyway for me to dorp something onto the SD card, then root it that way?

Any way to do with with out having to plug in the phone to a computer?

Thanks.
    03-28-2011 06:56 PM
    I suppose you could download a Terminal emulator from the Market, and manually enter all the code that is in the rooting script. You would have to copy the files like busybox and superuser onto your SD card.

That's about as much help as I can give with that method as I've never done it. Would be easier to borrow a friend's computer for 20 minutes.
    03-28-2011 06:59 PM
    I suppose you could download a Terminal emulator from the Market, and manually enter all the code that is in the rooting script. You would have to copy the files like busybox and superuser onto your SD card.

That's about as much help as I can give with that method as I've never done it. Would be easier to borrow a friend's computer for 20 minutes.
    Thats the thing its the phone itself, ive tried to plug it into 3 laptops and it still has the same issue.

I think he's going to Sprint tomorrow to find out about a warranty exchange with a tech. THEN i'll root it.
    03-28-2011 07:30 PM
    Try using a different usb cable if u havn't tryed that yet, the epic is very sensitive about what cable u use. I had a few sleepless nights coz of that, I just changed the cable the next day and everything went fine.
    03-28-2011 08:12 PM
    Try using a different usb cable if u havn't tryed that yet, the epic is very sensitive about what cable u use. I had a few sleepless nights coz of that, I just changed the cable the next day and everything went fine.
    My dad took it to the Sprint store, they couldn't get it to work either.. but I will try a few different cables anyway and get back on here. Thanks a lot for that, didn't think of it.
    03-28-2011 08:23 PM

i've tried this, its a catch 22 , you need busybox to use the commands it will take to root, but you cant install busybox without the root
    03-28-2011 08:25 PM
    For the tmobile g2 everything is done on the phone, its just a matter of once the exploit is loaded what you do with it then
    03-28-2011 08:26 PM
    I blew up my USB port with static when I was plugging in the phone to charge. I knew it was dead because I no longer had the pop-up asking what to do when the USB cable was plugged in, however the charging circuit still worked. I eventually took it in to be "fixed". The techs were confused by the symptoms and decided to do a warranty exchange.

Back to the original question...
    You can root with Z4Root without a usb connection.
    03-28-2011 08:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD