Bonsai v4.1.0 beta 9

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Greetings Epic Lovers!

Paul gave us a poke the other day and invited us to spend a little time on AndroidCentral occasionally. Thought I would accept that invitation and stop by to drop a bit of an announcement about our v4.1.0.b9 release.

We've just made this release available to donors at this time that are willing to take some of the early code and give it a spin. We appreciate their support and willingness to do some early testing so that we can continue to produce a solid ROM.

Some of the highlights coming in v4.1 are as follows:

- Voodoo color
- Undervolting in several modes including Screen and RAM at certain cpu frequencies
- Overclocking and underclocking configuration for 100mhz-1120mhz is now standard
- Read_ahead tuning to 4096 bytes
- Volume switch provides silent and vibrate control
- Upgrade to CWM 3.0.2.4
- Reduced battery % limit to 5% for Camera, VideoPlayer, and MusicPlayer.
- Increased windowsmgr refresh events_per_sec from 60 to 68
- Updated Maps.apk

Overall, this version is proving to have some of the best battery life yet. With Voodoo sound and color, we are setup as a solid media device.

One of the bigger pieces of work in this release is that we now have the ability to allow custom configurations during install. The first primary goal there was to support people who would prefer to have journaling enabled on the Ext4 filesystem. You can now do that with the v4.1 installer.

We've built these changes with an eye to the future of providing a much more configurable ROM install so look for that and some nice tools to make that happen.

I'll be a bit slow to respond to posts here as I am headed to San Francisco to an Embedded Linux and Android conference. Really looking forward to that. I'll come back as time allows or drop by over at Bonsai for Android |.

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the post/thread Randy_T.

Edit:

@all members...

You have Randy T, one half of the "duo" that makes up Bonsai along with Mammon. So here is your chance to say your thanks and ask your questions. As Randy stated they will try to stop in from time to time to answer posts and provide updates on new releases.

Last edited:

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
First of all, thanks for all the work you and Mammon have shared with us. One thing I would like explained are the pros and cons of journaling. Also, what is new in CWM 3.0.2.4? Is it backwards compatible for 3.X uses? Thanks.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First of all, thanks for all the work you and Mammon have shared with us. One thing I would like explained are the pros and cons of journaling. Also, what is new in CWM 3.0.2.4? Is it backwards compatible for 3.X uses? Thanks.

Here is some breakdown on what journaling is and does.
what IS journaling?

The new CWM, I really don't have much info about other than I knew one was in the works for us. Hopefully Randy can get back to use with a better explanation on both of your questions. I'm interested to know more about this new CWM myself.

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Here is some breakdown on what journaling is and does.
what IS journaling?

The new CWM, I really don't have much info about other than I knew one was in the works for us. Hopefully Randy can get back to use with a better explanation on both of your questions. I'm interested to know more about this new CWM myself.

You have the same question I do:p I must know more before I jump.

@Randy, it's nice to see you posting in public:D, I love the bonsai roms you guys create, always rock solid, but I must wait till we have more data on the cwm upgrade. I'm sure I'll be grabbing my copy of 4.1 soon enough. Thanks and welcome to AC.

@ragnarokx, you think Randy can get a dev tag, it just doesn't seem right....RandyT=nanite...lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@ragnarokx, you think Randy can get a dev tag, it just doesn't seem right....RandyT=nanite...lol

This is already been submitted by Ragnarokx to the site administrators ;)
We will treat Randy and Mammon just as we have done for k0nane of ACS and ptfdmedic of midNIGHT with the same ROM Developer tag and I am very happy that Randy excepted our invitation to post and provide support Bonsai ROM here at Android Central.

freality

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
All I have to say is...

...I always had GPS problems (wouldn't lock half the time, accuracy never better than 10-30 meters, depending on ROM) ...Bonsai 4 fixed it (locks instantly every time, accuracy 1-2 meters).

...My battery always sucked ...Bonsai 4 fixed it (easily at least 2x better).

...Always had lag ...Bonsai 4 fixed it (zero lag).

...SRF gave me FCs right off the bat ...none so far with Bonsai 4.

I don't wanna sound like a fanboy or nothin', but Bonsai 4 been very, very good to me. Thanks very much for the hard work, and I'm really looking forward to 4.1.

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
This is a classic sign of a bad flash - a few simple troubleshooting steps would have solved your problem.

k0nane and his team have built a brilliant ROM, and as he said-if you had force closes, it could have been fixed easily. Every great ROM(including Bonsai,and my personal favorite-the popular Bonsai-based Midnight ROM) has given me the same kind of force closes. These are fixed most of the time by wiping everything 3x and re-flashing,or by using the little mentioned "fix-permissions" function in CWM.
All im trying to say, is when you say things like that about a ROM, you are possibly turning away an impressionable noob, from what could end up being their favorite ROM. k0nane and co have worked really hard to bring a great ROM,and I can say first hand that it does work- amazingly might I add :)
So if you feel like giving another ROM a try,don't be afraid to try SFR again!

freality

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, I tried it all (re-downloaded ROM, reformatted SD card, wiped everything 5x, tried both standard and fully-loaded, reflashed exactly as per the video, etc.), for some reason, my phone just didn't like it. Every time I tried to change settings in Launcher Pro, my phone would freeze, and sometimes it would just freeze randomly (also, I really meant freezing/crashing, rather than FCs...sorry for the mixup).

I didn't mean to start this...I'm just saying that for my particular phone, and perhaps my particular methods, it just didn't work for me personally. Bonsai did. I have no doubt SFR is awesome, and I look forward to trying new revisions of it as well.

EDIT: I also totally understand and respect the fact that this is a group effort...were it not for the awesome work by ALL of you custom ROM building badasses, I would be stuck with the awful (in comparison) stock ROM. Thanks again for everyone's hard work, keen sensibilities, and just overall kickassery with helping your users out. I just want to make that clear, and sorry again for my crappy verbiage in the previous post that started this.

Back to the topic at hand...

Last edited:

Tech_Hunter

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, I tried it all (re-downloaded ROM, reformatted SD card, wiped everything 5x, tried both standard and fully-loaded, reflashed exactly as per the video, etc.), for some reason, my phone just didn't like it. Every time I tried to change settings in Launcher Pro, my phone would freeze, and sometimes it would just freeze randomly (also, I really meant freezing/crashing, rather than FCs...sorry for the mixup).

I didn't mean to start this...I'm just saying that for my particular phone, and perhaps my particular methods, it just didn't work for me personally. Bonsai did. I have no doubt SFR is awesome, and I look forward to trying new revisions of it as well.

EDIT: I also totally understand and respect the fact that this is a group effort...were it not for the awesome work by ALL of you custom ROM building badasses, I would be stuck with the awful (in comparison) stock ROM. Thanks again for everyone's hard work, keen sensibilities, and just overall kickassery with helping your users out. I just want to make that clear, and sorry again for my crappy verbiage in the previous post that started this.

Back to the topic at hand...

If you are getting true freezing, most likely, your phone is having trouble with the latest Bonsai kernel. This happened to many people (including me) with the latest twilight kernel included in SFR. If you like the rom, my suggestion is to install the rom, then immediately (before rebooting) flash a different kernel (I like the latest genocide - setting undervolts is addicting). See how that works for you.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@all,

I just checked in at Bonsai headquarters and it seems that the new beta was pulled due to some problems they were having. No ETA given on a new beta release.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
According to threads on XDA, users of 4.1.0b9 have ended up with true (not Odin, but true) bricks after charging with the device off.

Yes well aware of this k0nane. I didn't want to be the one to spill the beans. But yes many many people have ended up with true bricks from the latest beta which has been pulled.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
hopefully the bonsai team figures out the issues, would hate for something like this to ruin a good rom :(

Yes very true. Bonsai has always had a very good reputation and something like this could damage that very quick.. They will bounce back...

Nice looking ROM Dev badge there Shabby.. ;)