I bought my epic with 2.1 and have received the OTA 2.2 (EC05). I would like to root my phone to ext4, but what do I need to look for when looking at ROMS?

Does it have to be just for EC05?
    Should I go back to (1I18) before rooting?
    What would I need to do to first if I would like to install Frankenstein or Viper (trinity)?

I'm really interested and need the free tethering.

All info is appreciated. please remember I'm very new to this.

email Raiderspy1@yahoo.com
    04-09-2011 10:53 AM
    I bought my epic with 2.1 and have received the OTA 2.2 (EC05). I would like to root my phone to ext4, but what do I need to look for when looking at ROMS?

What would I need to do to first if I would like to install Frankenstein or Viper (trinity)?

Since your on EC05 then you need to go after ROMs that support EC05. Today we have Bonsai v4.x.x, Syndicate Frozen Rom v1.1.0, midNIGHT v5.x.x and Viper, Frankenstein and I think Superhero ROM.

They are all unique in there own ways. Most have bloatware removed, but the devs usually offer packages to reinstall the bloatware if needed. They all offer wireless tethering and some like Syndicate even offer wired tethering. Last I checked I think wired tethering wasn't functioning on Syndicate but they were in the works of fixing it.

When it comes to which ROM to pick, I always encourage users to test drive a few ROMs.. See what they like and compare, you can also sift threw the threads for each ROM which we have here and see what people are saying about them.

Rooting, there is no need to return to Eclair or earlier versions of Froyo. You can root your EC05 based phone from the link below. You will need to complete the conversion to EXT4 after you do procedure #1 to run any of these ROMs which is located in procedure #2 of the thread below.
    [Root] Samsung Epic 4G Official Froyo EC05 w/Optional EXT4 - Updated 4/1

Any further questions, please feel free to ask.
    04-09-2011 11:03 AM
    Also, expect in the coming weeks to see more roms with EC05. Keep checking the Epic forums on here and Xda-developers.com. Look for EC05 in the title bar to the posts, that is when u know the rom is compatible with your phone's system.

* Sent from my Epic, running Bonsai 4.1 rom with EC05 modem and loving it!
    04-09-2011 05:37 PM
    if you can use odin, you can use my modified prerooted deodexed zipaligned png optimized ext4.. its almost completely stock other than visionkernel 1.1 cwm3 fixed logprovider upgraded bionic and libdvm.. also removed the bloat.. its posted here in the same post with my stock deodexed ec05
    04-09-2011 08:57 PM

Welcome to the rooted world!!!. I think you have all the information you need in order to get free tethering. Also, you can try baked snack rom. In this case you will have to go to developer website and get a membership for about $5. I love this rom. Good luck!!! And welcome again.
    04-09-2011 10:46 PM
    Paul 627 was nice enough to try and help, but if you ask my wife I'M beyond help.

Paul replied:
    Since your on EC05 then you need to go after ROMs that support EC05. Today we have Bonsai v4.x.x, Syndicate Frozen Rom v1.1.0, midNIGHT v5.x.x and Viper, Frankenstein and I think Superhero ROM.

They are all unique in there own ways. Most have bloatware removed, but the devs usually offer packages to reinstall the bloatware if needed. They all offer wireless tethering and some like Syndicate even offer wired tethering. Last I checked I think wired tethering wasn't functioning on Syndicate but they were in the works of fixing it.

When it comes to which ROM to pick, I always encourage users to test drive a few ROMs.. See what they like and compare, you can also sift threw the threads for each ROM which we have here and see what people are saying about them.

Rooting, there is no need to return to Eclair or earlier versions of Froyo. You can root your EC05 based phone from the link below. You will need to complete the conversion to EXT4 after you do procedure #1 to run any of these ROMs which is located in procedure #2 of the thread below.

when I started to read PROCEDURE 1
    In red it says:
    If you want EXT4, skip this procedure and go to Procedure 2

I feel like a dog chasing his tail. Do I do PROCEDURE 1 or not.
    04-10-2011 08:56 PM
    Paul 627 was nice enough to try and help, but if you ask my wife I'M beyond help.

Paul replied:

when I started to read PROCEDURE 1
    In red it says:
    If you want EXT4, skip this procedure and go to Procedure 2

I feel like a dog chasing his tail. Do I do PROCEDURE 1 or not.

If you want to run custom ROMs, then yes skip procedure #1 and go right to procedure #2.

Note: Have a ROM picked out and sitting on your sdcard ready to go because you will need it to complete the conversion process to EXT4.

Otherwise, give it all you got man and prove your wife wrong! LMAO....

(P.S. I will be around to help you out...)
    04-10-2011 09:06 PM
    it won't be today, since I've got 2 hrs of sleep since starting to move yesterday at 8:00am.
    But thanks. I will definitely let you know though. Thanks again for reply.
    04-10-2011 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD