[ROM][ACS][STOCK] "Leaky Gingerbread" ED12 :: RFS ONLY :: Deodexed/Prerooted :: 4/27

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
k0nane and the Android Creative Syndicate present...
"Leaky Gingerbread" ED12
Deodexed, prerooted - RFS ONLY

ACS: From spontaneous ingenuity comes creative brilliance.

#include <thirdparty/cyanogenmod/std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

Chances are you already know what this is - but in case you don't, this is Android 2.3, Gingerbread, for the Samsung Epic 4G. This is Samsung/Sprint's ED12 build - it is not anywhere near final, but it is direct from Samsung/Sprint. We assure you, this is really Gingerbread. As you will see, this is still early in the development process. There are rough edges that Samsung/Sprint have not smoothed out unless in 15 days they have fixed them all.

This is RFS-only. There is no EXT4 support - believe me, we tried to hack it in there for you, but it's just not happening right now. Other devs are welcome to try, but we don't believe it's possible at this point. However, the kernel is rooted, and contains Busybox for your device usage pleasure.

How To Install
Odin (download) to stock EC05 (download official TAR), use the CWM2.5 one-click, wipe data/cache three times, and flash the ROM. If you wish to use the ED12 modem, you can flash that through Odin - however, we found it provided no gain, and just caused trouble with 3G data and VVM. The EC05 modem will work fine.

Screenshots - See qbking77's teaser video here!

3078V.png

Last edited:

k0nane

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Known Bugs

None, as a result of the packaging process. Behavior is identical to stock. However, the stock package is known to have the following issues, all of which have been reproduced in testing:

- 4G non-functional
- GPS non-functional out of the box - WORKAROUND: get GPS Status from the Market; reset AGPS status (works with wireless networks off)
- Wake lag present
- Does not boot when plugged in and powered off, unplug to boot
- Temperature sensor readings are incorrect. You may see interrupted charging due to bad battery temp readings.
- Slide to unlock button sometimes 'sticks'
- Has Carrier IQ (dieplz) ;)

Downloads - No Wait Times!

Download ROM/kernel (Direct) | Mirrors :: Direct #2 - Mediafire
Download ED12 modem - OPTIONAL (Direct) | Mirrors :: Direct #2 - Mediafire - Sharebeast

FAQ
  • I flashed the ED12 modem and it sucks! I want to go back to the EC05 modem! Download this and Odin it.
  • Where's the TAR? Our source put his job at risk by giving this to us. Unfortunately, we cannot release the TAR for this very reason.
  • WHERE'S THE %^#&ing TAR?!?! Did you not read the above? Die in a fire. You're not missing anything, trust us.
  • I'm getting FCs! Wipe data and reflash. Otherwise, this is fully stock, and comes with what any full-stock build will.
  • Why can't I flash this with CWM3? It's not compatible with EXT4, and as such the update-script is in Amend format to prevent you from using CWM3.
  • How do I flash the modem in Odin? Put your phone in Download mode by holding 1 on the keyboard and the power button until you get to a yellow triangle. Connect the phone to USB. Open Odin, load the PIT in PIT and the modem in PDA (or Phone - both work). Uncheck everything on the left except Auto Reboot. Click the big button.

Credits
  • tanimn (ACS) - rooted kernel, patience ;)
  • Shabbypenguin (ACS) - testing, hosting, TeamViewer
  • qbking77 (ACS) - testing
  • jez2cool (ACS) - testing
  • Parabola949 (ACS) - testing
  • rjmjr69 (ACS) - team lead
The most important thanks of all goes to our source - you are an asset to this entire community!

Special Support

The Android Creative Syndicate fully supports ptfdmedic's mission of spreading autism awareness. Our graphics guru ZHkilla has whipped up a brand-new, awesome banner for the cause. Please add it to your signatures.

E69bV.png

Donations

This and any other ACS productions are not, and will never be donationware. However, I and ACS have put a good number of hours into getting this ship-shape. Your generosity - if you feel like showing it - is deeply appreciated!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
We cannot give any details on our source... but it's very, very unlikely.
Interesting that someone is taking the risk... I thought there is a digital signature attached to the .tar's when they are made essentially linking them to whatever Sprint employee has them in their possession.. I remember it being said if the EC05 .tar was actually leaked out it would get back and reveal the Sprint employee who leaked it thus putting their job on the line.

I would guess your "source" provided you with a .tar file to start with..

Maybe I'm wrong, not trying to out anyone here but I do remember a certain mention of the source's name from the Bonsai EC05 leak and it was quickly removed on XDA's servers and it was outta by a well known name...

You could always PM me if there's something said here that you would like to say in private. I'm just swinging in the wind, blindly.. LOL...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thats cool.. Hey thanks for sharing k0nane. I respect the fact of keeping the source secret... Part of the game..

At least it proves GB is on the horizon... Now how long it will take Sprint/Sammy to get the bugs worked out is the next problem...

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Quick question, I downloaded Gingerbread, and have your modem tar. Just go to Download Mode, run 05 modem in in Odin tar, then use 3 finger death to get to cwm 2.5.
Is that included? Then just wipe, wipe, wipe, and flash GB??

I really want to try, and you guys are a few steps (to say the least) above me. I have already forgotten the RFS file info and 2.5. I know there will be a few quirks, just don't want to cause any myself.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
honestly i wouldnt recommend using odin to flash the modem, the ec05 modem works just the same.. some people even have issues with the newer one

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay so im new to android (coming from webos) and was wondering what is odin, where do i get it, and how do i use it? please and thank youu
Read more about Odin and what it does in the link below.

[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods

You can get a copy of Odin from the following link

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

On a side note, not to by any means stop you from doing as you please but if your interested in flashing this GB ROM and are very new to Android I would recommend caution as this version as you can read from the OP is still early in development and buggy so it may throw a few curve balls at you being new to Android.

If your up to the challenge of doing so then thumbs up friend, otherwise you may want to wait until a more stable build is ready and try some more stable ROMs being new to Android/rooting and running custom ROMs as their is a learning curve just like anything else to get the hang of things. ;)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a very solid build. I've only been using it for a few hours but it's definitely daily driver level for me.

Sent by a little green robot

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is a very solid build. I've only been using it for a few hours but it's definitely daily driver level for me.

Sent by a little green robot

Really.. Good stuff... I was just going off the OP list of broken things and it appears by that to be a tad on the buggy side still... Guess you can't judge a book by its cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12