Bonsai MasterKey ROOT and CWM/Recovery Tool

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Wanted to make the AndroidCentral community aware of a new tool that Bonsai has released to make unlocking/rooting your phone even more simple. For anyone new to running custom ROMs and still considering, we hope this makes things easy enough to make the jump.

Bonsai MasterKey comes in versions for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. It provides a graphical interface that walks you through the proper configuration of your phone usb connection and then proceeds to unlock the device and installs the latest version of the Bonsai Recovery/CWM tool to help you manage installation of custom ROMs.

You can find the MasterKey tools at this link: Bonsai Tools for Android Devices | Bonsai for Android

We hope to continue to add support for other Android phones and tablets as we get access to those devices.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So if a user wanted to use this method for unlock and recovery, would the recovery stay intact if a non-Bonsai ROM was flashed?

mattallica76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So if a user wanted to use this method for unlock and recovery, would the recovery stay intact if a non-Bonsai ROM was flashed?

Yes it would. As long as another recovery is not included in the ROM you are flashing. It can be used to flash other mods and ROMs also.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Tried this out for the first time and it worked like a charm. Rooting doesn't get any easier than this....

dragon57

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Masterkey works great. I just had to reflash my Epic back to stock, then used Masterkey to root it. Quick and painless. Highly recommended.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
if you run this over your CWM rooted phone would it give you the bonsai recovery? I had it on my phone and something I installed put CWM3 back on....hmmm

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
if you run this over your CWM rooted phone would it give you the bonsai recovery? I had it on my phone and something I installed put CWM3 back on....hmmm

Are you seeing CWM3 when doing a reboot to recovery with something like QuickBoot, or when you do a 3 finger boot to recovery?

Anything that flashes a recovery kernel will overwrite the Bonsai Recovery.

If other things you are flashing are leaving that alone, then you should still have the Bonsai recovery when you 3-finger boot from a powered off state.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you seeing CWM3 when doing a reboot to recovery with something like QuickBoot, or when you do a 3 finger boot to recovery?

Anything that flashes a recovery kernel will overwrite the Bonsai Recovery.

If other things you are flashing are leaving that alone, then you should still have the Bonsai recovery when you 3-finger boot from a powered off state.

Thanks for your fast response Randy! As I was refreshing this I was wondering the same thing lol. Yes I was booting from quickboot lol...3 finger got me to bonsai recovery :)
Tried to run the unlocker over this though and it was a no go as it couldnt connect to my device for some reason.

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your fast response Randy! As I was refreshing this I was wondering the same thing lol. Yes I was booting from quickboot lol...3 finger got me to bonsai recovery :)
Tried to run the unlocker over this though and it was a no go as it couldnt connect to my device for some reason.

Once the device is rooted, the Unlocker does not always run. Not sure why it would not find the device though. Typically it hangs checking for success. We'll work on making that a bit more tolerant in future release.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Once the device is rooted, the Unlocker does not always run. Not sure why it would not find the device though. Typically it hangs checking for success. We'll work on making that a bit more tolerant in future release.

It was hanging at the testing unlock portion of it, and I kept having to reconnect but it never went :p
Was just trying to run it figuring it would give me the recovery but like we talked about I never lost it :)

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It was hanging at the testing unlock portion of it, and I kept having to reconnect but it never went :p
Was just trying to run it figuring it would give me the recovery but like we talked about I never lost it :)

Yes, this is the behavior on an already rooted device. We'll fix this in a future release to be a bit more graceful.

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I odined back to ec05 and tried to use this unlocker but it did not find my device and yes I have USB debugging enabled..

There are a myriad of issues with debugging usb connectivity to these phones. All of that lives outside of MasterKey. If MasterKey cannot communicate with the device, then running adb at the command line will also likely fail.

You didn't say what platform you are on. I'll assume Windows since you are running ODIN.

You might want to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers. I believe that the driver needed by ODIN is different from the driver component needed to run adb. I've found when installing the usb drivers on windows that I have to first run the install, then reboot, then plug in the phone and let it download and install the remaining usb driver components, then reboot, then on next reboot it usually works.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this is the behavior on an already rooted device. We'll fix this in a future release to be a bit more graceful.

No need to be more graceful, the unlocker is great! love the interface on it already. Just didn't see anywhere saying if you were rooted it would do that or might do that :p

WesR6

Mar 6, 2011
www.wmriders.com
I tried to root a friends new Epic and could not get this to work for the life of me. I think it may have something to do with the computer I'm using because I've had problems with one click root in the past. I ended up having to use CWM 3.0.2.5 to get root.

It would hang on the testing unlock portion untill I exited out of that screen. I tried to reboot both computer and phone. Still wouldn't work. After multiple attempts I used the 3finger reboot to get into recovery thinking that maybe it had worked but was just hung up there, unfortunatly it was still samsung recovery. Think I'll try my desktop next time I need root and see if I can get the program running there.

Terrified Tapir

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how long Masterkey normally takes to run?

I have a stock phone and got to the point where it says "Configuring Android Device," but it has spent about an hour on that step.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good glad to here it worked out. Normally during any type of rooting process you usually don't have to worry about bricking a device. Either it roots the device or it doesn't.. Bricking of a device usually happens with user error with Odin. It can occasionally happen with other things but its very rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz