[ODIN] Gingerbread EF02 Leak Available with Root Instructions

mwhiting

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would pass this along...

screenshot_69.png

All credit goes to xda developers and its talented devs for coming through on this so fast... Thanks guys!

Its a direct leak from Samsungs firmware servers.

Use Odin to flash the tar file once you have it downloaded. Its complete stock and has root instructions below with screen shots I provided to help aid in installation.

Source Link: Samfirmware EF02.tar download! ( credit XDA developers )

[TIP]We also have a handy, helpful video on installing EF02 by qbking77 (Thanks gbking!)

YouTube - ‪How to update to EF02 2.3 Gingerbread on the Samsung Epic 4G‬‏[/TIP]

[INFO]
::: Installation Instructions :::

- Download the Odin tar package from the link provided above.

- You will need to extract the contents using WinRaR or 7zip.

- You will be prompted to enter a password to extract the contents, enter samfirmware.com

- This will extract the following...

Odin v1.81
SPH-D700-EF02-8Gb-REL-DebugKernel.tar
SPH-D700-EF02-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
vitory_8G-100528.pit

- The screen shot below shows where to place the files and you should be good to go.

Odin3v181.jpg

Took me about 2 minutes and 42 seconds to run the Odin package and reboot into Gingerbread.

::: Rooting Instructions :::

Download the rooting files needed from the original link provided above. They are located in the OP at that thread. There are two required files.

Place the su.zip file on your sdcard. This will be needed to flash after you do the steps below.

Rename the cwm3.1.0.1purple.tar.md5 file so the .md5 is removed.

Then boot into download mode (Shut down device, hold 1 on physical keyboard and press power)

Then place the cwm3.1.0.1.purple.tar file in the PDA slot as shown in the screen shot below.

EF02Root.jpg

Uncheck everything except Auto Reboot and press start. This will replace the stock recovery with ClockWorkMod.

Then once you reboot go ahead and shut down and boot into CWM (Vol down+Camera+Power). Flash the su.zip file you downloaded for root access. This will provide the Superuser application and root access to your device...

[WARN]Now remember this is still a ODEX system, so you won't be able to flash any EE03 themes because that is based on a deodexed setup. Give them a few hours I'm sure the devs are already at work on deodexing this setup.
[/WARN]

All credit goes to xda developers and its talented devs for coming through on this so fast... Thanks guys!

[/INFO]
Your EF02 posting has helped greatly. I was able to load the rom and it works.

I do have a problem when trying to root.

When I boot in recovery, I see the CWM screen, I see where I can the options, however nothing works on this menu. When I select, even, reboot device, I get a picture of a hat and that is where it stops. When I hit menu it comes back to the menu but all options are the same.

One difference I saw, was that the download tar file from the above links did not have the same name as the one in your instructions, you reference purple....

Any help?
I have also tried ADB to load the su file, but it appears that my phone will not talk with my laptop so ADB wont work. I have updated the drivers and still nothing, it was working before the EF02 load.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your EF02 posting has helped greatly. I was able to load the rom and it works.

I do have a problem when trying to root.

When I boot in recovery, I see the CWM screen, I see where I can the options, however nothing works on this menu. When I select, even, reboot device, I get a picture of a hat and that is where it stops. When I hit menu it comes back to the menu but all options are the same.

One difference I saw, was that the download tar file from the above links did not have the same name as the one in your instructions, you reference purple....

Any help?
I have also tried ADB to load the su file, but it appears that my phone will not talk with my laptop so ADB wont work. I have updated the drivers and still nothing, it was working before the EF02 load.

Since you seem to be having issues with getting CWM to work properly I would recommend using Odin to attempting flashing from start again.

This will accomplish two things...

1. Wipe the device and give you a fresh start.
2. Hopefully when repeating the installation instructions it will resolve whatever conflict you were having.

Please report back with any problems and we will do our best to get them worked out.

mwhiting

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Since you seem to be having issues with getting CWM to work properly I would recommend using Odin to attempting flashing from start again.

This will accomplish two things...

1. Wipe the device and give you a fresh start.
2. Hopefully when repeating the installation instructions it will resolve whatever conflict you were having.

Please report back with any problems and we will do our best to get them worked out.
What I ended up doing was using odin to flash the SU file. Still cant get ADB to see the device.
But no matter, SU is installed, CWM is now the recovery and I was able to back it up.

The issue with the hat appearing, was user error... The menu button on the epic does not run the option when in recovery. The camera button runs the option. Once I figured that out it went fast.

Great site. Love the version. 2.3.3 seems just like 2.2, are there any visable differences?
Mike

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Working good so far on my Epic, only issue I have found is bluetooth fails to start-up.

Anyone else having this issue?

:-\

**Update 6/24/11 2:44PM PST**

Installed Debug kernel and BT is working fine now. Did not install Kernel first time as per XDA instructions

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1128124

***do not use kernel debug tar** (if even posted in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLMlYuwTj6w

DO NOT FLASH THE DEBUG.TAR
IT FOR DEBUGGING PURPUSES ( it will eat baby and turn them into undead)

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So far so good. I do have one MAJOR issue, and I can't say for sure what is causing it, only that it does not happen under any stock or modified EC05 build.
Randomly my phone would either restart (with modem gone) or put up that the "modem crashed". It did it under EE03, as well as EF02, It would occur most often while charging, but not always. Is it just a weird issue with my Epics hardware that I can't prove to Sprint until an official GB is released?

neiljm

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So far so good. I do have one MAJOR issue, and I can't say for sure what is causing it, only that it does not happen under any stock or modified EC05 build.
Randomly my phone would either restart (with modem gone) or put up that the "modem crashed". It did it under EE03, as well as EF02, It would occur most often while charging, but not always. Is it just a weird issue with my Epics hardware that I can't prove to Sprint until an official GB is released?
Noticed it also on my phone after the update. Will reboot if I'm in an area with poor signal. Phone will reboot and go into airplane mode won't change unless I reboot the phone again to get out of it. I did do the modem upgrade via over the air update. Will try flashing back to a previous one to see if it's an issue with the over the air update.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Noticed it also on my phone after the update. Will reboot if I'm in an area with poor signal. Phone will reboot and go into airplane mode won't change unless I reboot the phone again to get out of it. I did do the modem upgrade via over the air update. Will try flashing back to a previous one to see if it's an issue with the over the air update.

I haven't done any OTA modem upgrades (never saw an option for it!). When I had EE03, I had ODINd the EC05 modem thinking the EE03 was faulty, with the same results. ODIN back to full stock EC05 and ODIN'd the EE03 modem on top of that resulted in strong signal. I was certainly hoping that GB EF02 would work better for me. Guess not for now. I live in a bad signal area, with my bedroom being on the weaker side of the house, so the overnight/charging crash may well be related to a drop in signal.

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I had bad signal issues after flashing EF02, until I updated the Profile and PRL. Afterwards I actually noticed about 20% faster speed tests on 3G and about the same on 4G. The connection to WiMax is definitely more consistent when compared to how it used to roll in and out while sitting still in bad reception areas.

blkheave

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had bad signal issues after flashing EF02, until I updated the Profile and PRL. Afterwards I actually noticed about 20% faster speed tests on 3G and about the same on 4G. The connection to WiMax is definitely more consistent when compared to how it used to roll in and out while sitting still in bad reception areas.
I'm having the same issue. When there's a weak signal or roaming the phone restarts and goes into airplane mode. You can turn airplane mode off but it stays in that mood. I flashed EF02 and updated the Profile and PRL with no luck. I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestion would be helpful.

neiljm

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. When there's a weak signal or roaming the phone restarts and goes into airplane mode. You can turn airplane mode off but it stays in that mood. I flashed EF02 and updated the Profile and PRL with no luck. I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestion would be helpful.
I having the same issue on mine. I suggest that just flashing the modem and trying to see which one is more stable for your phone. Paul627g made a how to video that is real easy to follow check it out on the forum

daneegreer

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I having the same issue on mine. I suggest that just flashing the modem and trying to see which one is more stable for your phone. Paul627g made a how to video that is real easy to follow check it out on the forum
same here totally awesome other than the modem ---- when using pandora it cuts in and out as though losing signal, eventually freezes up. I live in DC so the signal should be good (according to sprint); has anyone found a solution? I hate to go back to old EC05

bigtymer7680

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Just updated yesterday and so far it's very stable. No problems from the modem but I noticed that the bluetooth is a little shaky (takes a second or so to connect/disconnect a call). Also, the backlight to the keyboard tends to turn off when I'm typing. Not a big deal, just what I noticed. Aside from that, it works great. I'll keep it on 'till my phone starts smoking. Ha!

Sommorez

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would pass this along...

screenshot_69.png

Its a direct leak from Samsungs firmware servers.

Use Odin to flash the tar file once you have it downloaded. Its complete stock and has root instructions below with screen shots I provided to help aid in installation.

Source Link: Samfirmware EF02.tar download! ( credit XDA developers )

[TIP]We also have a handy, helpful video on installing EF02 by qbking77 (Thanks gbking!)

YouTube - ‪How to update to EF02 2.3 Gingerbread on the Samsung Epic 4G‬‏[/TIP]

[INFO]
::: Installation Instructions :::

- Download the Odin tar package from the link provided above.

- You will need to extract the contents using WinRaR or 7zip.

- You will be prompted to enter a password to extract the contents, enter samfirmware.com

- This will extract the following...

Odin v1.81
SPH-D700-EF02-8Gb-REL-DebugKernel.tar
SPH-D700-EF02-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
vitory_8G-100528.pit

- The screen shot below shows where to place the files and you should be good to go.

Odin3v181.jpg

Took me about 2 minutes and 42 seconds to run the Odin package and reboot into Gingerbread.

::: Rooting Instructions :::

Download the rooting files needed from the original link provided above. They are located in the OP at that thread. There are two required files.

Place the su.zip file on your sdcard. This will be needed to flash after you do the steps below.

Rename the cwm3.1.0.1purple.tar.md5 file so the .md5 is removed.

Then boot into download mode (Shut down device, hold 1 on physical keyboard and press power)

Then place the cwm3.1.0.1.purple.tar file in the PDA slot as shown in the screen shot below.

EF02Root.jpg

Uncheck everything except Auto Reboot and press start. This will replace the stock recovery with ClockWorkMod.

Then once you reboot go ahead and shut down and boot into CWM (Vol down+Camera+Power). Flash the su.zip file you downloaded for root access. This will provide the Superuser application and root access to your device...

[WARN]Now remember this is still a ODEX system, so you won't be able to flash any EE03 themes because that is based on a deodexed setup. Give them a few hours I'm sure the devs are already at work on deodexing this setup.
[/WARN]

[/INFO]
How do i get the odin program?

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hey Paul i tried to root my phone after getting EF02 leak but the links for cwm 3.1..0 recovery and SU do not work. do you know where can i get the files.
Thank you

update: Thank you Paul I got it. it was my PC. I got the files.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes see my OP instructions. When you extract the main zip file there will be multiple files inside. One of them happens to be Odin v1.81

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey Paul how you been Long time since I been on this thread... I moved on to a 4S for a very short time was a pile of crap then the evo 4g lte and now the Optimus G on sprint you have plans to make a rom for this device? I would be uber excited if you made ACE for this phone...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Paul how you been Long time since I been on this thread... I moved on to a 4S for a very short time was a pile of crap then the evo 4g lte and now the Optimus G on sprint you have plans to make a rom for this device? I would be uber excited if you made ACE for this phone...
Yes it has been a long time. Unfortunately no I think my ROM deving days are way behind me. To be honest I've fallen out of touch with all the goodness that is ROM building. I enjoy the big name ROMs now just like everyone else and give those devs hi respect for the work they do. I am glad to hear that ACE ROM made so many people happy during its time.

Enjoy that Optimus G and look forward to your continued participation in the forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze