Major problems: Brick?

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My epic came with eco5. I rooted my phone and installed Bonsai Rom. I used the bonsai unlocker to root the phone thinking thats the easiest. I followed the instructions to the letter and I was using the bonsai rom but found it to be rather sluggish. I'm playing around with the phone to learn the new features of the Bonsai rom and I'm getting a message that the internal sd card is nearly full. I tried to figure out what loaded it up so much but can't figure it out.

So I decide, this sucks. Since bonsai makes a backup of the old system I'll just restore it back to my original stock eco5 and be good to go. So I go ahead and do that..... thats when things got really bad. Upon reboot the phone stays stuck on the Samsung.com boot screen.

So i try to restore the phone to virgin eco5 using odin... the procedure works flawlessly with the battery out and the external sd card removed. Phone still doesn' get past the samsung screen.

I have a hunch that the internal sd card needs to be cleared and formatted but i'm afraid to do that and i'm not really sure how.

When i do a 3 button reset i can get to clockworkmod recovery v2.5.1.0. There's lots of options there but I'm not really sure what to do.

I think i need to do a complete wipe and start fresh???, but i'm not sure. How do i do that??

Help me get this thing back up n running and I'll be a good boy from now on :'(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My epic came with eco5. I rooted my phone and installed Bonsai Rom. I used the bonsai unlocker to root the phone thinking thats the easiest. I followed the instructions to the letter and I was using the bonsai rom but found it to be rather sluggish. I'm playing around with the phone to learn the new features of the Bonsai rom and I'm getting a message that the internal sd card is nearly full. I tried to figure out what loaded it up so much but can't figure it out.

So I decide, this sucks. Since bonsai makes a backup of the old system I'll just restore it back to my original stock eco5 and be good to go. So I go ahead and do that..... thats when things got really bad. Upon reboot the phone stays stuck on the Samsung.com boot screen.

So i try to restore the phone to virgin eco5 using odin... the procedure works flawlessly with the battery out and the external sd card removed. Phone still doesn' get past the samsung screen.

I have a hunch that the internal sd card needs to be cleared and formatted but i'm afraid to do that and i'm not really sure how.

When i do a 3 button reset i can get to clockworkmod recovery v2.5.1.0. There's lots of options there but I'm not really sure what to do.

I think i need to do a complete wipe and start fresh???, but i'm not sure. How do i do that??

Help me get this thing back up n running and I'll be a good boy from now on :'(

You can try Odin again and this time go back to EB13 and see if that will allow you to boot up properly. Otherwise attempt EC05 again.

When using Odin it completely wipes your internal memory/storage on the device so that is taken care of for you. Your external sd card may need to be reformatted which after you get things booted up and moving again you can do with it in the device.

I would first get up and running stock before worrying about proceeding further. Then we can talk about moving on.

Reactions: xalky

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah baby. I could kiss you on the lips.It took the EB13,.... I just can't figure out why it wouldn't take the EC05. Man i thought this phone was gonna be an expensive lesson on why i shouldn't play with ROMS.

So my phone right now is virgin, no rooting etc... correct.

I should be able to get back to EC05 with OTA update??

I think if I do anything I might just go to the gingerbread leak, it seems safer.:p

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Glad to help. I was just going to respond while reading your posts and tell you it should auto update or you can do it manually. Either way glad your back in action.

As far as EC05 with Odin not taking, I'm not exactly sure why that is but this isn't the first time I've come across this where using Odin and the EC05 tar caused problems but then the EB13 tar pulled them right out of trouble. Strange.

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The EB13 procedure uses a .pit file and a tar file, and so does the new Gingerbread leak flash procedure,...maybe somebody forgot to tell us about a PIT file for the EC05 or it works for most people so leave it alone.

Either way I'm glad it all worked out.

The phone worked great when it was rooted but without a new ROM. Are there advantages to having a rooted phone without installing a different ROM? IE:Access to hidden files?? ability to delete Bloatware??? etc...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The EB13 procedure uses a .pit file and a tar file, and so does the new Gingerbread leak flash procedure,...maybe somebody forgot to tell us about a PIT file for the EC05 or it works for most people so leave it alone.

Either way I'm glad it all worked out.

The phone worked great when it was rooted but without a new ROM. Are there advantages to having a rooted phone without installing a different ROM? IE:Access to hidden files?? ability to delete Bloatware??? etc...
Well the pit file really shouldn't matter. That is for setting up partitioning and mapping things and really isn't need if the tars are designed properly from what I've been told.

Regardless, I know theres been some issues with the EC05 tar not taking all the time and EB13 working to resolve the problem.

Yes with a rooted device on stock ROM you still can delete bloatware and use wireless tethering. Also use backup programs like Titanium or MyRootBackup.

Reactions: xalky

xalky

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Well since the last time I posted here, my phone has been rooted and running SRF 1.2 with the Genocide kernel. Its overclocked to 1.2ghz and undervolted and she's running stable after puttng her thru the paces with benchmark. I could probly squeeze some more battery life out of it, but right now I'm pretty happy with it.:)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk