Hmm.. I have bought my wife a epic 4g and have talker her into rooting it.. I cant talk her into a custom Rom... yet. I downloaded one click root.. CMW3.1.0.1 .. I come from a optimus s.. where i just rooted and used the quick settings to use free wifi hot spot. Will i need to install a custom Rom for this function to work properly on this phone? Also.. i have super user installed.. so I'm rooted right? What is the function to get to the recovery screen.. because it installed clockwork mod.. correct? Thanks for all the help everyone.. i hope i don't come off sounding noobish.. but i am definitely lost when it comes to the epic.
    06-27-2011 04:43 PM
    Welcome.
    I still consider myself a noob too.
    Install ACS ROM which has the tethering built in. (There are many good ROMs out there but this is the one that I am using and can confirm ther tehtering app)

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...ed-6-20-a.html
    BTW - you will also need to install a kernel as well for ACS ROM to work.. I use Genocide myself.

Place the zip you find on your SD card. Power off, wait for the phone to vibrate one, and press Power+Camera+Vol down buttons to get into the CWM screen where you can then select to install a zip off the SD card.

Hope that helps.
    Enjoy the Epic.
    Dark_Majesty_06 likes this.
    06-27-2011 05:16 PM
    Link is listed at the top of this forum under FAQ...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...oot-users.html

-Wes
    06-27-2011 05:59 PM
    No, you do not need a custom rom for WIFI tethering.

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I use pre14k...very good.

I would recommend talking her into using Launcher Pro (free from market). You do not have to use a custom rom, and it allows for great functionality and customization.
    06-27-2011 06:01 PM
    FYI, you have to enable Unknwn sources in Settings > Applications.

You can download directly from Epic using link in above post, or you can transfer via USB and install via Astro File Manager (also free from market).
    Dark_Majesty_06 likes this.
    06-27-2011 06:03 PM
    thanks a lot y'all.. that wifi tether app did the trick. Also got launcher plus installed and running. I know om my optimus the roms were pretty unstable.. so it will take some time to get everything figured out if we want a custom rom or not. Other than removing the bloat ware i cant really think of a reason. This thing is fast enough for her and i have my optimus and my evo.. either way,thanks a lot for the app and recomendations
    06-27-2011 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD