Still no car docks available?

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The one on Samsung's website still says it's backordered... When is that thing supposed to be available? I'm just about ready to make one myself... it won't look very pretty, but I'm in my car a lot and needing the GPS and keeping the phone charged is pretty important for me.

How are you all doing it? Do you have a way to dock the phone to your car?

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I found it and the charging dock on a web site and they said Sep 30. Take it for what it's worth. I'm sure official accessories will get into the channels within the next couple of weeks.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It's alright, I ended up making my own. It doesn't look very pretty but it works and it costs less than the one sold by Samsung.

I had one of those generic Arkon cell phone holders, Instamorph, and my old Palm microUSB car charger. I hand molded the Instamorph to hold the microUSB plug and a bottom and side cradle to hold the E4GT, put it in the freezer to harden and it's all good to go. :)

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Me too! As I was checking out I saw that Samsung for some reason changed my 3-day shipping to the "standard (up to 10 days)" shipping. Damnit! Guess I won't have it by the weekend :(. Hopefully it won't really take 10 days.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
could we get some pictures of it in the infuse car dock? Would be much appreciated. If it fits nicely and looks decent I'll pull the trigger today :cool:

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
well the xda thread convinced me to order. For 20 bucks its a steal. Will report back with my own experience once the Infuse dock arrives and Ive had a few days with it.

WVUPharm2007

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
In case y'all missed it, there is a thread below about docks with the TPU cases. I want to send the dude that figured this out a fruit basket. The docks that come with most Garmin Nuvi 4.3" systems (mine was a 260w) fit the GS2E4T as if it were OEM. It's shocking how well it fits. And you can get them for like $9 on eBay. I went to center city Philadelphia today and went driving down some cobblestone streets...this sucker held onto the phone like a champ. Here's some pictures:

2160003777108216841319164775K5hss8vJC56AAMD45bfU.JPG

18954894611550860821319164739m9q2ZoapZxJ5puD72S3J.JPG

94625927614391348891319164761TD6JhFq5gTDrTc4smof1.JPG

----------

$9 for the dock...$9 for the case. For under $20 I've got my phone protected and acting as a decent GPS system. What more could you want?

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Well if you also like to listen to music from your phone through your car stereo and you want to put your phone in the dock with as little effort as possible, you probably want the samsung dock (possibly the one for the Infuse). If you don't mind finding/untangling your charging cable (and headphone cable) and plugging them in manually, congrats! You just saved a lot of money! :)

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Got my infuse dock in the mail today. Then I read on XDA the AT&T stores have a deal where you get the car dock and the desktop dock (for the infuse) for $19.00 if you buy them together!

I returned my mail order infuse car dock and bought the infuse car dock and desktop dock in an AT&T store. Car dock rang up 18.00, desktop dock rang up for .50 cents. :D Its an outrageous deal! I told the sales person about the deal and he didn't believe me but when he rang it up he had to show his coworkers! As mentioned before its a bit of a tight fit but it works like a champ!

Oh and did I mention the infuse desktop dock comes with the AC wall plug. Samsung charges 19.99 for that alone!

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Upon hearing this good news about the AT&T Infuse 4G docks, I went into my local AT&T retail store and they had one car dock and two desktop docks left. They already had a reduced price sticker on them, and the guy said that he doubted that they would be reduced any further. When he rang them up (car dock first), the desktop dock indeed rang up as $.50! Both him and the guy next to him started to see if they did anything wrong, and I told them that this was the reason I was buying them. Its a well-hid secret. The guy next to him jokingly said "Ebay!"

Just to follow up on some of the comments, the car dock and the desktop dock both fit the E4GT, however you can see where it was designed for the more squared-off Infuse 4G. You can probably dremel the desktop dock if you dont like the space between the back of the phone and the top of the holder. And for the desktop dock, it does mention in the documentation that you can flip it on its side to show in landscape mode.

Now I need a better docking app than the built in one.