Galaxy S? II, Epic? 4G Touch d710 Desktop Dock

Demosthenes9

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I jumped all over this today also, got the last 2 of each in the store.... what an awesome deal.

Did the same at one store here in Louisville. Clerk scanned the Car dock, then the desktop doc and then just started blankly at the screen for 15 seconds or so.

I then said "Is it coming up as $17.51 + tax ?"

He said "yeah", shook his head and completed the transaction.

Saw that there was another set available so I grabbed it as well. Grabbed one at another store back on Friday.

Dgreekd

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Picked up my car dock & desk dock from att last night. Another astonished service rep who told me "It has to be a glitch in the system related to the promo. I'll pretend I didn't see that." He went on trying to explain that the computers must think the desk dock is $0.50 instead of 50% (aka 0.50) time original price, so it is just entering 0.50 and forgetting to multiply it by the desk docks original price. I just said "I'm very proud of you for figuering that out, now do u have anymore of these {desk docks}." Alas I had gotten the last one........................ At that location.

SirBC

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Samsung dock, and when I dock it, after a few minutes it just shows that yellow floating clock, nothing else. So if I get an email or missed call, there is no way to tell just by glancing at the docked phone. Is that normal behavior?

kiwi_in_kc

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
BTW, I scored one of the deals from the AT&T store where you buy the Infuse 4G car dock for $17+, and get the desktop dock for $.50 (yes, the guy at the counter was as shocked as you are, if you have not heard of this deal yet). The docks fit, and you can tell that its made for the more squared-off Infuse, but for the price, its a lovely compromise for me versus paying nearly $80 for both official E4GT docks elsewhere.

I just went to my closest AT&T store to see if I could still get a deal on a car dock and desktop dock. I was expecting that it had expired as the boxes had stickers on them for 50% off for the car dock and 25% off for the desktop dock, however when the clerk rang them up it was $17 for the desk dock and $0.50 for the car dock, so I was out the door for under $20 for both.

While both of these docks will allow you to use them with the E4GT, the phone does not engage the way I expect it would with the E4GT specific model. On the car dock the phone engages fully however it is not as snug/tight as I would like though you can tell that the holder corners were designed for the squarer cornered AT&T Infuse. With the desk top dock, the phone engages fine with the microUSB connector however it takes a firm double sided push to engage it in the fully reclined position and then it will pop out of the fully reclined position fairly easily. I can live with these pecularities for the price that I got these for, however I thought others may be interested to know some specific experience related to the fit/engagement. BTW, I have not tried the E4GT specific versions but I am going to a Sprint store this evening to do a few other things so I will try the docks while I am there and update this post. because Sprint stores in my area do not have any stock yet.

I have to spend some time getting the applications, that are automatically started when you place the phone in each dock, working differently and it is possible I may disable one or both of them if I can't set them up they way I want. Ironically if you try to download the Samsung specific applications for the respective docks, there are none that are compatible with the E4GT unless the applications are installed on the phone when you buy it. I know I loaded the market version of vlingo so I have two versions and one of these versions of vlingo loads when docking in the vehicle dock. I can't find yet where you can control the desk top dock app startup.

Last edited:

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I think I lost the thread where I reading about the car dock!

But I was able to get to AT&T today and I managed to pick up a car dock like everyone is suggesting.

It was for the Samsung Infuse. I got the deal for $17, came to $19.50 after tax.

Now, let me first state to everyone, I already own 2 Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch 'Car Docks'. The one that Samsung is saying you should get for our phones at a cost of $49!

Everyone has stated that the 2 docks are exactly the same!

Well, I'm here to say, they are NOT exactly the same. There are some minor differences, not much but there are differences.

I want to post some pictures of the two docks but my Samsung from Sprint, is now at Samsung in Texas getting fixed. Sprint refused to fix it, saying I should place an insurance claim to get it replaced (with a referb of course) for the $100 deductible. Stating the typical statement 'physical damage'!

I called Samsung and they said to mail it into them and they will decide if they will fix or replace for free. I figured it was worth mailing to them.

Oh, almost forgot, I accidentally bent one of the charging pins when inserting the battery after a cold reboot.

The phone still worked but I was uncertain how long the bent pin would last before breaking off.

I can't believe they design those pins that way. Maybe they should make them a rounded dome, so it would be impossible to bend any pins at all (they wouldn't be pins then). But it's something they don't think needs improving.

Anyway, I digressed, when I get the phone back, I will take pictures of both docks so you can see the differences.

I will say, one main difference is that on the Epic version there is a 'quick release tab' on the back. This way the phone can stay in the dock but you can release the whole dock from the suction arm. (I hope I've explained it so you can visualize what I am saying.)

Rob

Last edited:

John P. Smith

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Since the desktop dock only engages the micro-usb (MHL) port on the phone (which as I understand only carries digital audio, not analog) yet has a stereo out jack on the back, it must incorporate some kind of digital to analog conversion circuitry... right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21