[ROM][ICS][Aug 18, 2012] Android Open Kang Project [Stable 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][July 25, 2012] Android Open Kang Project [Stable 1]

DK is recommending to Mobile Odin the EL26+CWM kernel because he has no way to know what kernel you currently have on your phone. If you have an "unsafe" ICS kernel on your phone and you use custom recovery to wipe data and flash his ROM you could brick your phone. Flashing a Gingerbread kernel that's been re-packed with CWM is the safest method.

Here's a bit more detail on using Mobile Odin to get the EL26 Kernel installed and flash DK's AOKP ROM ....

Install Mobile Odin. The free version can be downloaded from XDA from your phone and installed manually. The paid version can be purchased from the Play Store.

Download the EL26 Kernel + CWM here: StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5

This is a TAR file you can place on your internal storage or external SD card.

Run the Mobile Odin App, scroll down to "Open file ..." and choose that EL26 TAR file you downloaded. After doing that, if you scroll back up to the kernel section, you will see that Mobile Odin knew what it was and placed the file in the kernel slot. Then scroll all the way back down to the Flash section and choose "Flash firmware".

The flash will happen very quickly, as a system kernel is a rather small file. Flashing ROMs by comparison takes much longer typically.

Now ... this is what I like to do. Before you actually use Mobile Odin to flash the EL26 Kernel, take your case off (if you use one) and remove the back battery cover. Then do the Mobile Odin flash. Your phone will automatically reboot. When your phone hits the "Samsung Galaxy SII" boot screen (white letters on the black background), pop the battery out. Then put the battery back in, put the cover back on, and boot your phone directly into recovery by holding VOL UP + Power at the same time. Then use CWM to wipe your phone in DK's instructions and flash his AOKP ROM and GAPPs (you want both on your phone already before you do the Mobile Odin process).

The reason for this battery pull is if you're on ICS ROM, the Gingerbread kernel you just flashed with Mobile Odin is not compatible with ICS and will not boot properly. Sometimes, a battery pull is necessary anyways.

Reactions: dt81

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

The reason for this battery pull is if you're on ICS ROM, the Gingerbread kernel you just flashed with Mobile Odin is not compatible with ICS and will not boot properly. Sometimes, a battery pull is necessary anyways.

For anyone using a case that is not easy to remove you can just hold volume up+power on until the phone reboots into recovery.

Holding the power button for a few seconds will force it to power off.

Reactions: JayWill

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

For anyone using a case that is not easy to remove you can just hold volume up+power on until the phone reboots into recovery.

Holding the power button for a few seconds will force it to power off.

It's probably just me but I have limited success doing this. I have no idea why. It's probably my fumbly fongers. :p

But yeah srkmagnus is right. Doing as he suggests normally avoids the need to do a battery pull.

Sychotik

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Which kernel are u guys using? so I have an idea which works best.. :eek:
I tried chris41g's RC2.5

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Per the second post, RC 2/2.5 are confirmed working:

List of confirmed working kernel release candidates: RC 2, RC 2.5, TWRP-RC1-B2, CWM-RC1-B2, TWRP-RC1-B3, and CWM-RC1-B3 ONLY

You can install other kernels and help work out issues if you are up to it and have access to Odin if something goes wrong -- such as a kernel that keeps the phone from booting.

jbc28

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

I hope its ok to post this question in this thread......

How does this ROM compare to Blue Kuban? The reason is ask is that I have my phone working really well on Blue Kuban, and I am a little afraid of messing with it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

How does this ROM compare to Blue Kuban? The reason is ask is that I have my phone working really well on Blue Kuban, and I am a little afraid of messing with it.

User experience will vary from ROM to ROM and often subjective. I would suggest giving both a try and see what fits you best.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Blue kuban is a baked/cooked rom. This one is compiled from source code. Need i say more? ;)

deakelem

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

FG20>FF18. Where I live (one-bar land) has now become two-bar land. 3g speeds are faster as well. I can't test 4g since I live in one-bar land :p

Please do share where you found fg20!! I want it! :)

Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's a Boost Mobile modem. Has anyone installed on the Sprint e4gt without problems? I wouldn't flash it to stay on the safe side. There are a lot of other Modems available.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sychotik

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Per the second post, RC 2/2.5 are confirmed working:

List of confirmed working kernel release candidates: RC 2, RC 2.5, TWRP-RC1-B2, CWM-RC1-B2, TWRP-RC1-B3, and CWM-RC1-B3 ONLY

You can install other kernels and help work out issues if you are up to it and have access to Odin if something goes wrong -- such as a kernel that keeps the phone from booting.

Everything was working on 2.5 except wifi.. :(

Sychotik

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That's a Boost Mobile modem. Has anyone installed on the Sprint e4gt without problems? I wouldn't flash it to stay on the safe side. There are a lot of other Modems available.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

It works fine.. I went from 1 bar to 3..

deakelem

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

It works fine.. I went from 1 bar to 3..

Yea works fine for me, but im not noticing any difference in coverage or speed... yet. I'm at work and its a dead zone anyways. Will try when i get home and post some results.

Reactions: art12321

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Please do, because I don't know what that means.:)

Baking or cooking a rom means you take a stock rom. Theme it. Add some tweaks and release.

This rom is built from aokp source code and merged with the Epic 4g touch device tree provided by Cyanogenmod team. I also did alot of code tweaking and fixing to make it 98% stable. Plus nothing beats an AOSP ROM. ;) No samsung framework. No samsung bloatware. Its also easier on the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante