Bricked after root attempt

epicsmore

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So I followed the directions to root the epic 4g touch using Odin v1.85 and the phone never fully flashed and left it bricked. When I put in the battery and hold any combination with the power button, the blue light comes on and will blink once after holding it for five seconds. Can not get any lights to come on with battery out and it plugged in to outlet or usb port on pc. Blue light comes on when plugging it in with battery in but still can not get it to respond or turn on or get to odin mode.

This happen to anyone else? Anyone know of a way to unbrick?

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So I followed the directions to root the epic 4g touch using Odin v1.85 and the phone never fully flashed and left it bricked. When I put in the battery and hold any combination with the power button, the blue light comes on and will blink once after holding it for five seconds. Can not get any lights to come on with battery out and it plugged in to outlet or usb port on pc. Blue light comes on when plugging it in with battery in but still can not get it to respond or turn on or get to odin mode.

This happen to anyone else? Anyone know of a way to unbrick?

The only person I know to have brick their the device is the developer who was working on root & he had to get a replacement from Sprint

epicsmore

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Anything else I can try? I am out of ideas right now. Think sprint will try and charge me for new phone or for the insurance on it if nothing works?

SkyeHack

Banned
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
this is why im not going to root until they fix all the bugs.

thanks for being the guinea pig.

- sent from my "un-rooted" Epic 4G Touch.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Anything else I can try? I am out of ideas right now. Think sprint will try and charge me for new phone or for the insurance on it if nothing works?

If it cannot even boot up and you have the insurance for it, I don't see why Sprint can say anything...
But yeah, sorry to hear about the brick.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
this is why im not going to root until they fix all the bugs.

thanks for being the guinea pig.

- sent from my "un-rooted" Epic 4G Touch.

Wow! That's seriously uncalled for. The dude bricks his phone and you lay that on him. Pretty lame imo.

Anyways .. good luck on unbricking your phone, if it's even possible at this point. You may want to sending a PM to qbking77 to see if he can point you in the right direction for some help.

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Just take it back and demand a refund, you're within 30 days and they can't prove that rooting did it. (and I know that sounds really sh***y but you might as well try)

ElectroWiz

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Look bro, call Sprint customer service and tell them what happend and see what your options are at this point. It wont hurt, its not like they will flag your account or something. I'm sure they have had calls with situations like yours before. Whats the worst that can happen? Them tell you no. E-mail the developer as to what happened to you. Maybe he has a fix by now. Some of these people around here think that your predictament is funny, the majority of us dont. Thats a bad ass phone you got there. Dont give up asking around.

agp1001001

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Heads up: Same thing that happened with epicsmore's Epic Touch happended with mine.

Yup. I think mine's bricked.

Word-for-word, what happened to epicsmore happened to mine using the Odin v1.85 root walkthrough. Nothing I do now will get beyond a blue light when I attempt the three-button-hold boot, or any boot. Blue light blinks once after holding it for five seconds, and then unresponsive.

Does anyone know if, when Zedomax bricked his Epic Touch, he ended up with this blue light unresponsive state, or something different? I'm curious if he got the same, think that would seem telling.

Has anyone made any progress on this, unbricking this?

zedomax

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Heads up: Same thing that happened with epicsmore's Epic Touch happended with mine.

Yup. I think mine's bricked.

Word-for-word, what happened to epicsmore happened to mine using the Odin v1.85 root walkthrough. Nothing I do now will get beyond a blue light when I attempt the three-button-hold boot, or any boot. Blue light blinks once after holding it for five seconds, and then unresponsive.

Does anyone know if, when Zedomax bricked his Epic Touch, he ended up with this blue light unresponsive state, or something different? I'm curious if he got the same, think that would seem telling.

Has anyone made any progress on this, unbricking this?

You have to be super careful, did you guys choose "PDA"? If you chose something else and flashed it, then took the battery out, you will get hard bricked. That's what happened to me, and make sure you have enough battery before using ODIN. But you are super bricked meaning Sprint has to give you an exchange, just take it to the store and tell them, "it won't boot and you think the phone doesn't charge any more, perhaps defective."

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You have to be super careful, did you guys choose "PDA"? If you chose something else and flashed it, then took the battery out, you will get hard bricked. That's what happened to me, and make sure you have enough battery before using ODIN. But you are super bricked meaning Sprint has to give you an exchange, just take it to the store and tell them, "it won't boot and you think the phone doesn't charge any more, perhaps defective."

LOL, I've had to do that two different times? I just told them I plugged it into my computer, and apparently something went wrong, because it wont' turn on. They've replaced it a few times, and I'm currently on my 3rd Epic, and so far no problems, haha. I think it was either the cable or the port on my computer that did it. I'm glad I have my boyfriends computer and a new cable now :D

agp1001001

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Heads up again: I think I know what lead to mine getting bricked.

And I strongly encourage an addition to the Root walkthrough on:

How to Root Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Using Shabbypenguin's, Zedomax's Methods | Koolmobile Blog - iPhone, Android & Symbian

What tipped me off was just watching the video. I only saw this after watching this.

For steps 4-7 Shabbypenguin instructs the steps below. Yet what I did not know -- and what the walkthrough does not give a heads up for -- was that after one selects the PIT file, the "Re-Partition" option button automatically becomes selected. Never used Odin before (I just switch from an EVO 4G) I had no way of knowing that would happen. I didn't see it get auto-selected, but I bet that it did.

4. Open Odin3 V1.85 and on the left side ONLY have AUTO reboot checked (VERY IMPORTANT)
5. Press the PIT button and navigate to the*Epic touch pit file and select it.
6. Check the PDA slot and then press the PDA button and navigate to the Tar file and select it
7. Now power off your Epic Touch

Put a step 5.5 in there that says, Hey notice that your Re-Partition option just got auto-selected -- go back and unselect it!

Reactions: ScandaLeX

epicsmore

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Just go to a repair store and tell them the phone died and won't turn back on after you plugged it in and see if they can get it turned on for you. When they can't, they replace. Simple.

Zedo, I did make sure everything was correct, however I did not use your kernel, used the acs one.

Good luck agp1001001

tuna83

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if your phone is unresponsive... Go to sprint and replace it. Have full confidence, they are not going to tell you no. Good Luck.

I'm not sure what went wrong for you. I followed the instructions and everything works well. The kernal has my linpack score down by 1000 but hey.. I'm sure better stuff will be out. I honestly can't tell you why a I rooted phone so fast. I likely should have waited for better developer support but oh well.

ratm22

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Reading on xda, it appears that a few people were placing the pit. file from the original epic when they flashed the kernal that caused the phone to be bricked. The E4GT has its own pit. file and you have to make sure that is the one you use, though I'm not sure why anyone would use the pit. file for a single flash, it's not necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol