07-16-2012 12:25 PM
47 12
tools
    So, these instructions are for the galaxy S II , not for the epic 4g with the slide out keyboard.
    thanks
    11-05-2011 09:43 AM
    So, these instructions are for the galaxy S II , not for the epic 4g with the slide out keyboard.
    thanks
    Im pretty sure the PRL file would do the same for any phone on sprint since all it does it tell the phone which towers its allowed to roam on (something like that anyways, its Preferred Roaming List I think)

there just may be a different method to manually update PRL files on your original epic.
    joe18324 likes this.
    11-05-2011 03:34 PM
    Im pretty sure the PRL file would do the same for any phone on sprint since all it does it tell the phone which towers its allowed to roam on (something like that anyways, its Preferred Roaming List I think)

there just may be a different method to manually update PRL files on your original epic.
    yep it will work on all phones.
    im not sure about international phones though (photon) im oretty sure they have a different prl type...
    11-08-2011 02:54 PM
    Thanks a ton for posting this!

In Chicago my "4G" speeds are reasonable (2-12 Mbit) but 4G is very hit/miss. 3G has been deplorable (like 0.02 - 0.35 Mbit/s) for 2+ months here, but after this little PRL flash my Galaxy S2 is experiencing a 4x speed increase with Verizon so far.

After a 1 hour call with Sprint today to follow up on the tickets I've placed for poor data speeds, I hope they do give me the boot, but ETF free.

Note: I bought a T-mobile Galaxy S2 (ebay) and put it on a $30/month 5GB 4G data plan ... very very impressed .. lowest of 2.5 Mbit and up to 14 Mbit/s so far! $30/month well spent.
    12-03-2011 03:55 PM
    First I would like to say thank you for this, it is awesome that depending on where I am I can select the best 3G coverage provider and make my phone run on it. The only question I have is how do we change it back to where when we connect our phones to our pc we can select to charge only or connect to exchange data? It only says MTP-Connected now and does not give me the option to select.
    12-10-2011 08:36 AM
    Ok I've done this little hack and I don't seem to notice any difference between my phone's default prl (Sprint) and the .0001 prl which has me on Verizon now. Should I try other ones? Could it be based on my location (San Diego) and which prl I choose?

Anyone have any ideas? TX

P.S. Thanks for figuring all of that out and posting it, I havn't had this much fun since I retired my Amiga 3000!
    mradlauer likes this.
    12-15-2011 09:52 PM
    ok so im am using prl 1115 if i were to lets say use 4gb of data would i be cut loose? that is infact my goal and is there any other prl that will force roam my E4GT?
    02-15-2012 12:04 AM
    Ok I've done this little hack and I don't seem to notice any difference between my phone's default prl (Sprint) and the .0001 prl which has me on Verizon now. Should I try other ones? Could it be based on my location (San Diego) and which prl I choose?

Anyone have any ideas? TX

P.S. Thanks for figuring all of that out and posting it, I havn't had this much fun since I retired my Amiga 3000!
    Where i live that prl doesnt put me on roaming it just keeps me on sprint but i have better download speeds
    MaoTzu likes this.
    02-16-2012 01:59 PM
    ok so im am using prl 1115 if i were to lets say use 4gb of data would i be cut loose? that is infact my goal and is there any other prl that will force roam my E4GT?
    I'm starting to think that Sprint will not call or mail out warnings due to excessive roaming. My 3G roaming, per Sprint.com:

Oct - Nov: 0 GB
    Nov - Dec: > 1.8 GB
    Dec - Jan: > 10 GB
    Jan - Feb: > 25 GB

I had expected Sprint to reach out by now or flat drop me, but nothing yet.
    02-18-2012 04:02 PM
    I'm starting to think that Sprint will not call or mail out warnings due to excessive roaming. My 3G roaming, per Sprint.com:

Oct - Nov: 0 GB
    Nov - Dec: > 1.8 GB
    Dec - Jan: > 10 GB
    Jan - Feb: > 25 GB

I had expected Sprint to reach out by now or flat drop me, but nothing yet.
    My first month i used 7 gb of roaming data so maybe ill use more next month. But wow 25 gb and no letter or call?
    02-21-2012 12:16 PM
    My first month i used 7 gb of roaming data so maybe ill use more next month. But wow 25 gb and no letter or call?
    Exactly! I still can't believe it.

Back to roaming ....
    02-21-2012 02:30 PM
    lol, all I can say is, awesome.
    02-22-2012 11:06 AM
    I dont know where you heard this magical 2GB roaming limit, but when I worked for sprint (7 yrs ago)
    The roaming rules were as such: Minutes were limited to 50% of total minutes actually used.
    IE if you used 530 minutes in a given billing period and you used 260 minutes while roaming, you were fine. But if you used 270 minutes while roaming you were on the hook for 5 minutes of roaming at up to $1.79/min.

Data roaming was the same way.

Sprint must have relaxed the rules or VZW, Sprint, USCellular and/or Alltel have stopped reported data usage between each other and just play nice.

IMO, you may be in for a huge surprise on a bill. Maybe their reporting is just months slow.
    For me, the Sprint Network is far faster on 3G in northern CA than VZW. YMMV depending on area.
    02-23-2012 07:39 PM
    I dont know where you heard this magical 2GB roaming limit, but when I worked for sprint (7 yrs ago)
    The roaming rules were as such: Minutes were limited to 50% of total minutes actually used.
    IE if you used 530 minutes in a given billing period and you used 260 minutes while roaming, you were fine. But if you used 270 minutes while roaming you were on the hook for 5 minutes of roaming at up to $1.79/min.

Data roaming was the same way.

Sprint must have relaxed the rules or VZW, Sprint, USCellular and/or Alltel have stopped reported data usage between each other and just play nice.

IMO, you may be in for a huge surprise on a bill. Maybe their reporting is just months slow.
    For me, the Sprint Network is far faster on 3G in northern CA than VZW. YMMV depending on area.
    I hope there is no surprise bill. I was very careful to keep the contract and take screenshots of my sprint.com reporting, clearly indicating where it said unlimited for 3g roaming.

I have T-Mobile now (I paid for the phone .. using the $30/month 5gb 4G plan with mobile voip). I've been 100% roaming on sprint, 0 kb of sprint network data, 0 minutes. I've roamed plenty on data, nearly 0 on voice. Do you think the 0 kb on Sprint and significant roaming on VZW is registering in their system?
    02-23-2012 07:44 PM
    Do you think the 0 kb on Sprint and significant roaming on VZW is registering in their system?
    I would certainly think so.
    02-23-2012 08:13 PM
    Verizon recently updated the prl. Does anyone have the new one? I believe its 52686 - 52707
    03-20-2012 10:34 PM
    delete
    03-26-2012 04:35 PM
    This might be a dumb question but, if I strictly want to run off of Verizon towers can I use a PRL listed in the Verizon folder or am I supposed to choose a modified PRL or what? And by the way Sprint is my provider.
    05-09-2012 02:18 PM
    Of course everyone will get different results with this but I thought it would be important to share my experience. I live in the Bay Area FYI

Before doing anything I took some baseline speed tests

Orignal PRL
    Down 743,240,365,506,675
    Up 165,144,190,121,141

After following the directions I checked and the PRL which was indeed changed to 00001.prl. I also noticed that my phone was immediately on 2G. I gave it some time and it eventually went to 3G. Here are my test results

Changed PRL (00001.prl)
    Down 260,233,560,301,165
    Up 129,111,115,089,103

I noticed right after the tests my phone went back to 2G which I promptly took a screen shot. I've never seen my phone go to 2G at this location before.

Needless to say for me in the Bay Area this hack made things worse.

Good luck to the rest of you.
    05-09-2012 03:52 PM
    It seems to me in the bay area when roaming on Verizon, they only allow 2G data. works, but pretty slow.
    05-09-2012 03:59 PM
    Well, for the last couple of weeks I've been getting voice messages from Sprint telling me about my excessive data roaming how it's violating my plan. Earlier this week they got me in person, turned into quite an argument, me saying I have unlimited roaming, Sprint saying I have unlimited access to roaming but that there are limits. Me asking for that particular documentation to be sent to me, Sprint saying they don't have access to email to send it to me. Round and round.

The interesting thing that I heard in the conversation is that if they drop me I'll be able to port my number and take my phone. That's really what I want to do anyway, Sprint's service in San Diego is so bad and I've learned from this hack that Verizon's is pretty good. Verizon has 4g here too where Sprint doesn't.
    07-13-2012 08:51 AM
    Well, for the last couple of weeks I've been getting voice messages from Sprint telling me about my excessive data roaming how it's violating my plan. Earlier this week they got me in person, turned into quite an argument, me saying I have unlimited roaming, Sprint saying I have unlimited access to roaming but that there are limits. Me asking for that particular documentation to be sent to me, Sprint saying they don't have access to email to send it to me. Round and round.

The interesting thing that I heard in the conversation is that if they drop me I'll be able to port my number and take my phone. That's really what I want to do anyway, Sprint's service in San Diego is so bad and I've learned from this hack that Verizon's is pretty good. Verizon has 4g here too where Sprint doesn't.
    Sprint ended my contract because I did > 25GB data roaming EVERY month with 0kb of Sprint Coverage, but I still have service with them. Even when I go on Sprint.com it tells me my contract ended already, but I can still use my phone. That's how I've been getting by for the last 6months with not one bill from Sprint or call.

As long as you try not to brake your phone or have to call tech support for ANY reason you're good. Even one call to support, then they will figure out that you still have service without paying, they send you a big *** bill in the mail.
    07-16-2012 12:25 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD