[Manual PRL Update] better voice/3g! for rooted/non-rooted phones

ridex

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Manual PRL Update] better voice/3g! for rooted/non-rooted ph

Thanks, I just my keep this beautiful piece of slow crap. Left iphone for a change due to appointment of iphone 4s. This roaming is the best it's worked for the 3 days i owned it.

Javeline4

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Is there a Qualcomm Product Support Tools for Mac OS or an equivalent?
Did a quick Google search and found nothing.

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your work!

I joined this forum just for your post. I just switched to Sprint and the data coverage has been terrible in my area despite them saying I should have great coverage. They like to keep saying I'm always in a bad spot for their towers. Using your work around I am now on verizon network and I will not be returning my Galaxy S2! I love the phone, but hated the sprint network locally.

Sprint should thank you (or maybe not), because without your fix I was going to return my phone in the 14 day time period I have.

yea.
sprint dont like the roaming though. :p

joe18324

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I just want to confirm, these instructions are for thr i9000 correct?. I am following the instructions but things seem a little different, like"On the dial pad dial ##8778# and select all. Click home" I just get two windows with pda or modem. Also when I plug in the usb cable do I select charging or tether.
Thank you

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site

So weird thing happened today. My phone randomly restarted itself while I was using it, and when it came back I noticed it reset back to Sprint. I didn't check the PRL, but it went back by itself.

I'm going to redo it now. Should I worry about switching back if my data usage isnt more than 500GB? On AT&T this was my highest month in the last 12 months.( I am always around wifi).

Im not even sure if you tethered your phone and downloaded torrents 24/7 that you could use that much data. so you must mean 500MB, and if thats the case I personally wouldnt worry about it but I dont work at sprint so I dont know if they would do anything about it or not.

Hi, I just want to confirm, these instructions are for thr i9000 correct?. I am following the instructions but things seem a little different, like"On the dial pad dial ##8778# and select all. Click home" I just get two windows with pda or modem. Also when I plug in the usb cable do I select charging or tether.
Thank you

I believe thats the international GSM version, I am pretty sure the sprint version is the D710

Last edited:

joe18324

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

So, these instructions are for the galaxy S II , not for the epic 4g with the slide out keyboard.
thanks

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site

So, these instructions are for the galaxy S II , not for the epic 4g with the slide out keyboard.
thanks

Im pretty sure the PRL file would do the same for any phone on sprint since all it does it tell the phone which towers its allowed to roam on (something like that anyways, its Preferred Roaming List I think)

there just may be a different method to manually update PRL files on your original epic.

Reactions: joe18324

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Im pretty sure the PRL file would do the same for any phone on sprint since all it does it tell the phone which towers its allowed to roam on (something like that anyways, its Preferred Roaming List I think)

there just may be a different method to manually update PRL files on your original epic.

yep it will work on all phones.
im not sure about international phones though (photon) im oretty sure they have a different prl type...

Brandon168

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks a ton for posting this!

In Chicago my "4G" speeds are reasonable (2-12 Mbit) but 4G is very hit/miss. 3G has been deplorable (like 0.02 - 0.35 Mbit/s) for 2+ months here, but after this little PRL flash my Galaxy S2 is experiencing a 4x speed increase with Verizon so far.

After a 1 hour call with Sprint today to follow up on the tickets I've placed for poor data speeds, I hope they do give me the boot, but ETF free.

Note: I bought a T-mobile Galaxy S2 (ebay) and put it on a $30/month 5GB 4G data plan ... very very impressed .. lowest of 2.5 Mbit and up to 14 Mbit/s so far! $30/month well spent.

Villain123

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

First I would like to say thank you for this, it is awesome that depending on where I am I can select the best 3G coverage provider and make my phone run on it. The only question I have is how do we change it back to where when we connect our phones to our pc we can select to charge only or connect to exchange data? It only says MTP-Connected now and does not give me the option to select.

MaoTzu

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Ok I've done this little hack and I don't seem to notice any difference between my phone's default prl (Sprint) and the .0001 prl which has me on Verizon now. Should I try other ones? Could it be based on my location (San Diego) and which prl I choose?

Anyone have any ideas? TX

P.S. Thanks for figuring all of that out and posting it, I havn't had this much fun since I retired my Amiga 3000!

Last edited:
Reactions: mradlauer

Obi_d21

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

ok so im am using prl 1115 if i were to lets say use 4gb of data would i be cut loose? that is infact my goal and is there any other prl that will force roam my E4GT?

Obi_d21

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Ok I've done this little hack and I don't seem to notice any difference between my phone's default prl (Sprint) and the .0001 prl which has me on Verizon now. Should I try other ones? Could it be based on my location (San Diego) and which prl I choose?

Anyone have any ideas? TX

P.S. Thanks for figuring all of that out and posting it, I havn't had this much fun since I retired my Amiga 3000!

Where i live that prl doesnt put me on roaming it just keeps me on sprint but i have better download speeds

Reactions: MaoTzu

Brandon168

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

ok so im am using prl 1115 if i were to lets say use 4gb of data would i be cut loose? that is infact my goal and is there any other prl that will force roam my E4GT?

I'm starting to think that Sprint will not call or mail out warnings due to excessive roaming. My 3G roaming, per Sprint.com:

Oct - Nov: 0 GB
Nov - Dec: > 1.8 GB
Dec - Jan: > 10 GB
Jan - Feb: > 25 GB

I had expected Sprint to reach out by now or flat drop me, but nothing yet.

Obi_d21

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm starting to think that Sprint will not call or mail out warnings due to excessive roaming. My 3G roaming, per Sprint.com:

Oct - Nov: 0 GB
Nov - Dec: > 1.8 GB
Dec - Jan: > 10 GB
Jan - Feb: > 25 GB

I had expected Sprint to reach out by now or flat drop me, but nothing yet.

My first month i used 7 gb of roaming data so maybe ill use more next month. But wow 25 gb and no letter or call?

gbean

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I dont know where you heard this magical 2GB roaming limit, but when I worked for sprint (7 yrs ago)
The roaming rules were as such: Minutes were limited to 50% of total minutes actually used.
IE if you used 530 minutes in a given billing period and you used 260 minutes while roaming, you were fine. But if you used 270 minutes while roaming you were on the hook for 5 minutes of roaming at up to $1.79/min.

Data roaming was the same way.

Sprint must have relaxed the rules or VZW, Sprint, USCellular and/or Alltel have stopped reported data usage between each other and just play nice.

IMO, you may be in for a huge surprise on a bill. Maybe their reporting is just months slow.
For me, the Sprint Network is far faster on 3G in northern CA than VZW. YMMV depending on area.

Brandon168

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I dont know where you heard this magical 2GB roaming limit, but when I worked for sprint (7 yrs ago)
The roaming rules were as such: Minutes were limited to 50% of total minutes actually used.
IE if you used 530 minutes in a given billing period and you used 260 minutes while roaming, you were fine. But if you used 270 minutes while roaming you were on the hook for 5 minutes of roaming at up to $1.79/min.

Data roaming was the same way.

Sprint must have relaxed the rules or VZW, Sprint, USCellular and/or Alltel have stopped reported data usage between each other and just play nice.

IMO, you may be in for a huge surprise on a bill. Maybe their reporting is just months slow.
For me, the Sprint Network is far faster on 3G in northern CA than VZW. YMMV depending on area.

I hope there is no surprise bill. I was very careful to keep the contract and take screenshots of my sprint.com reporting, clearly indicating where it said unlimited for 3g roaming.

I have T-Mobile now (I paid for the phone .. using the $30/month 5gb 4G plan with mobile voip). I've been 100% roaming on sprint, 0 kb of sprint network data, 0 minutes. I've roamed plenty on data, nearly 0 on voice. Do you think the 0 kb on Sprint and significant roaming on VZW is registering in their system?