[Manual PRL Update] better voice/3g! for rooted/non-rooted phones

chaka17

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Manual PRL Update] better voice/3g! for rooted/non-rooted ph

Verizon recently updated the prl. Does anyone have the new one? I believe its 52686 - 52707

dohchp

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

This might be a dumb question but, if I strictly want to run off of Verizon towers can I use a PRL listed in the Verizon folder or am I supposed to choose a modified PRL or what? And by the way Sprint is my provider.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This PRL Change Made Things Slightly Worse on My Phone

Of course everyone will get different results with this but I thought it would be important to share my experience. I live in the Bay Area FYI

Before doing anything I took some baseline speed tests

Orignal PRL
Down 743,240,365,506,675
Up 165,144,190,121,141

After following the directions I checked and the PRL which was indeed changed to 00001.prl. I also noticed that my phone was immediately on 2G. I gave it some time and it eventually went to 3G. Here are my test results

Changed PRL (00001.prl)
Down 260,233,560,301,165
Up 129,111,115,089,103

I noticed right after the tests my phone went back to 2G which I promptly took a screen shot. I've never seen my phone go to 2G at this location before.

Needless to say for me in the Bay Area this hack made things worse.

Good luck to the rest of you.

gbean

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

It seems to me in the bay area when roaming on Verizon, they only allow 2G data. works, but pretty slow.

Last edited:

MaoTzu

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Well, for the last couple of weeks I've been getting voice messages from Sprint telling me about my excessive data roaming how it's violating my plan. Earlier this week they got me in person, turned into quite an argument, me saying I have unlimited roaming, Sprint saying I have unlimited access to roaming but that there are limits. Me asking for that particular documentation to be sent to me, Sprint saying they don't have access to email to send it to me. Round and round.

The interesting thing that I heard in the conversation is that if they drop me I'll be able to port my number and take my phone. That's really what I want to do anyway, Sprint's service in San Diego is so bad and I've learned from this hack that Verizon's is pretty good. Verizon has 4g here too where Sprint doesn't.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Well, for the last couple of weeks I've been getting voice messages from Sprint telling me about my excessive data roaming how it's violating my plan. Earlier this week they got me in person, turned into quite an argument, me saying I have unlimited roaming, Sprint saying I have unlimited access to roaming but that there are limits. Me asking for that particular documentation to be sent to me, Sprint saying they don't have access to email to send it to me. Round and round.

The interesting thing that I heard in the conversation is that if they drop me I'll be able to port my number and take my phone. That's really what I want to do anyway, Sprint's service in San Diego is so bad and I've learned from this hack that Verizon's is pretty good. Verizon has 4g here too where Sprint doesn't.

Sprint ended my contract because I did > 25GB data roaming EVERY month with 0kb of Sprint Coverage, but I still have service with them. Even when I go on Sprint.com it tells me my contract ended already, but I can still use my phone. That's how I've been getting by for the last 6months with not one bill from Sprint or call.

As long as you try not to brake your phone or have to call tech support for ANY reason you're good. Even one call to support, then they will figure out that you still have service without paying, they send you a big ass bill in the mail.