[GUIDE] Root Stock System

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've seen several ways to root the Epic Touch 4G and wanted to make a clear cut guide on how to install a custom recovery and then root the stock software via the custom recovery and re-install the stock kernel & recovery. This will temporarily replace the stock kernel and stock recovery so it's possible to flash the files for root to your /system partition then will revert you back to stock kernel and recovery.

(Update: 9/29/2011: It has come to my attention that while initially the thread referenced here on XDA said it was using a "stock" kernel and recovery, that in fact was the not the case, I have added in the appropiate steps to return your phone to stock kernel & recovery if you so choose)

[WARN]Warning: Any time you flash or install custom software on to your phone you are taking a risk! We all do our best for the community but sometimes in the course of development things get pear shaped in a hurry. If you're nervous or new or don't fully understand what you are doing, JUST WAIT - This phone is AWESOME stock, just enjoy it. If you are hell bent on rooting and have an understanding of what you just read, proceed:
[/WARN]

Update:

Just follow this thread, it cuts to the chase and there's no kernel to worry about:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1282418 HUGE THANKS TO crawrj

We can save the clockworkmod, etc. for another day when it all becomes "official" :).

-- OLD STUFF in case any one needs it for any reason:
First, you need to follow this thread:

[ACS][RECOVERY][USB MOUNTING] ClockworkMod Recovery for the Samsung Epic Touch 4G - xda-developers

(When Koush releases a ClockworkMod recovery for the Epic Touch 4G I'll re-create the steps for it here using his image, since this is a ACS build all credit goes to them, especially bubby323 and their thread should be followed for any changes, updates, etc)

After your custom recovery is installed, boot the phone in to recovery, from a powered off state, just hold volume up and the power button until you reach the recovery menu.

Select mounts & storage

Select mount USB storage

Download this file: http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip (credit for this goes to CainsDD) and place it on your usb storage, more info: Superuser

Unmount the usb storage and go back

Select install zip from sdcard

Choose the zip file you just downloaded

Reboot

Yay, you're rooted. and su and superuser.apk has been installed on to your /system directory.

Now we need to return your kernel back to stock: (this is optional, you can keep clockworkmod and the custom kernel installed if you want, though at this point, 9/29/2011 It is not 100%)

Follow this thread: [ACS][STOCK][DEV][RESTORE][KERNEL] Stock EG30 Kernel *Pulled from a non-rooted phone. (again when an official tar from Samsung find it's ways in to our hands I will re-create this using that as a source)

Now your Epic Touch 4G has a stock kernel, stock recovery and su & superuser.apk.

Optional: get the busybox installer from the market and install busy box if needed

Last edited:

cporta

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Root Stock System via Custom Recovery

This method was flawless. Had root and superuser in under 10 .

satur9ine

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Confused. I thought this method changes the kernel to something other than stock? I've been waiting for a way to root completely stock. I don't think that day has arrived yet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Confused. I thought this method changes the kernel to something other than stock? I've been waiting for a way to root completely stock. I don't think that day has arrived yet.

Due to Samsung's use of initramfs, kernels & recovery files need to be flashed at the same time, that tar for ODIN provided by ACS is actually the stock kernel w/clockworkmod.

satur9ine

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Due to Samsung's use of initramfs, kernels & recovery files need to be flashed at the same time, that tar for ODIN provided by ACS is actually the stock kernel w/clockworkmod.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that... I don't believe you. People on XDA have been waiting and waiting and waiting for Bubby and/or Zedomax to release a fully rooted stock kernel with CWM recovery on it. Supposed to hit any day now.

The kernel/cwm in the post referenced above supposedly has international sgs2 elements in it.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that... I don't believe you. People on XDA have been waiting and waiting and waiting for Bubby and/or Zedomax to release a fully rooted stock kernel with CWM recovery on it. Supposed to hit any day now.

The kernel/cwm in the post referenced above supposedly has international sgs2 elements in it.

You are correct, when I created this guide the post in reference at XDA said it was the stock kernel. I'm updating the OP here with instructions on how to use this method to root and then how to return to the stock recovery/kernel.

So you'll end up with root just not with a custom recovery.

Also of note, from my time chatting in IRC over the last week (and recently a few hours ago which lead me back here to update this post), the kernel with clockworkmod not only is based off the international GS2 but actually does NOT work correctly.

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
so I've successfully done the updated root method linked above...and love having the root rights. Now how can I get clockwork. I want to flash a few zips to change the task bar and battery meter to precent.

elport

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
hey guys iv tried rooting my phones several times and it stay stuck at certain points on all of them is they any software that i might be missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835