Hi all,

I'm about done learning my new S2 and Android (well still have a long way with Android).

I would like to get ready to play (probably a bad choice of words) around with 'rooting'

I do know I need a good backup program and a program to be able to do the actual rooting.

I wanted to ask here for your recommendations on what are the best of these two programs I should consider getting. I am wiling to purchase one as well, I don't need it to be free.

I just want the best for this Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch!

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-02-2011 11:06 PM
    there is no one click rooting method as of yet. tiatanium backup is what i use.
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    10-03-2011 09:17 AM
    Hi all,

I'm about done learning my new S2 and Android (well still have a long way with Android).

I would like to get ready to play (probably a bad choice of words) around with 'rooting'

I do know I need a good backup program and a program to be able to do the actual rooting.

I wanted to ask here for your recommendations on what are the best of these two programs I should consider getting. I am wiling to purchase one as well, I don't need it to be free.

I just want the best for this Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch!

Thanks!

What's up neighbor! Always nice to see someone else from Astoria here.

The best back up tools are available after you root and/or install a custom kernel & recovery.

However our phones use software from Samsung called Odin, with Odin you can flash specific partitions , for instance it would be possible to flash your /system partition with a rooted version without losing any of your app data, then you can proceed to back up your information using titanium backup or go further and flash a custom kernel with clockworkmod custom recovery. Then through recovery you create a complete system backup (images of your partitions) that are stored on your internal storage.

Stock /system with root:

[Odin]Stock EG30 Odexed with Root 3.0/Busybox 1.18.4 - xda-developers

ClockworkModRecovery:

[KERNEL] ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.3 // Initramfs Template for Devs - xda-developers

Alternatively you can just install clockworkmod recovery and then install the superuser zip file located here through recovery:

Superuser
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    10-03-2011 09:31 AM
    10-03-2011 01:03 PM
    What's up neighbor! Always nice to see someone else from Astoria here.
    Hi neighbor!

Well, if you live that close to me, maybe you can help do a walk through on doing this so I don't make a mistake. It is definitely not as easy as it was on WebOS.

Maybe we can meet up sometime for this.

I should ask, you have root this phone yourself?

Rob
    10-07-2011 07:02 PM
    Go to XDA developers, lots of threads on this topic.
    10-08-2011 09:25 AM
    I personally found the instructions on the android creative syndicate website a lot easier to follow and understand. It's really pretty easy.

rlanza1054 likes this.
    10-08-2011 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD