Followed qbking77 video and did root/cwm with Chris41g {kernel odin eg30 plus stock rooted busybox plus CWM5} afterwards phone Sam epic touch booted OK everything worked made/received calls..... Later on tonight wanted to install Tiffany84's {nothing but honey theme} followed steps in video...now after flash, eject, reboot phone starts goes to home screen {no theme}
    the bottom icons are honey theme but before it loads completely box pops on screen with "SORRY THE APPLICATION STATUS BAR (process.com.android.systemui) HAS STOPPED UNEXPECTEDLY. PLEASE TRY AGAIN....FORCE CLOSE....then it reboots over and over again.
    HELP .............
    10-29-2011 12:56 AM
    you have to format your /system directory, FIRST, then wipe data, cache, and dalvik

then flash the rom, then flash the theme..

if you don't format your system directory, the status bar problem happens no matter what you are flashing..
    10-29-2011 06:14 PM
    ____________ Update ____________

Re flashed "nothing but honey theme" to no avail, tried to fix permissions in cwm nothing. Can go into odin mode and cwm, not shure what to do next. Do have a second epic touch (his & hers), can I load a new theme on a SD card, insert it into boot loop phone and re flash "over nothing but honey" ???
    or do I do a factory recover on boot loop.... forgot to do nandroid B/U......or is there a way to add a script to repair missing app.status bar in odin.
    Open to any suggestions. From anyone...........Help.
    Removing battery just stops loop, insert batt. press start, back to boot loop /or CWM /or odin mode.
    10-29-2011 06:25 PM
    Wase4711--

Dont recall formating sys dir. but did wipe data cash and dalvick flashed rom afterwards phone worked perfect for about 4hrs. everything worked, no hic ups, THEN i flashed the theme and then BOOT LOOP.,
    10-29-2011 06:32 PM
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you're still on the stock ROM. If so, that's most likely your problem. You need to be on a Deodexed ROM to flash most themes.

I'm not sure the best path for you at this point, but I think your safest route would be to start over by doing this [ACS][Odin]Completely Stock EG30 - Restore your system - xda-developers

Then Odin your root method again.

Then flash this [ACS][Odin]Stock EG30 Deodexed with Root 3.0/Busybox 1.18.4 - xda-developers

Then use CWM to flash the Nothing But Honey theme

There's probably quite a few people who have the same boot loops as you over at XDA, if you want to dig for more info and other advice.
    10-29-2011 11:59 PM
    Hey thanks for the input !!!

So just start all over with odin. Not sure if the rom I used is odexed or deodexed could not find this info at download site, developer did not give enough info on there page.After root everything was fine.
    Being that I can still get into CWM with no problem i gues i can reflash another ROM..?
    10-30-2011 12:09 AM
    Hey thanks for the input !!!

So just start all over with odin. Not sure if the rom I used is odexed or deodexed could not find this info at download site, developer did not give enough info on there page.After root everything was fine.
    Being that I can still get into CWM with no problem i gues i can reflash another ROM..?
    From reading your original post, you did not flash a ROM, you flashed a rooted kernel. Once you gain root via a kernel, you have to flash a dexodexed ROM, like the stock one I linked, or custom ROMs like Starburst, MidnightROM or ViperROM. Then you can flash themes. But you usually want to check to make sure the theme is compatible with a particular custom ROM. You're usually okay on the stock ROM though, it just needs to be deodexed.

Good luck.
    10-30-2011 12:16 AM
    Should I "mount & storage" in CWM and clear cash/dalvc again before i flash theme.What about nandroid B/U? Can I still do a B/U before I flash theme.
    10-30-2011 12:18 AM
    So even thogh it was a rooted kernal that would not disable the phone.? In other words I was running my original stock ROM with a rooted kernal.
    10-30-2011 12:21 AM
    So even thogh it was a rooted kernal that would not disable the phone.? In other words I was running my original stock ROM with a rooted kernal.
    Yep, which was I'm doing now. Samsung tends to put system and recovery on the same partition these days, so to gain root on this phone, at minimum, you will be flashing a kernel that was packaged up with CWM. Then one could boot I to CWM and flash the SuperUser.zip to gain root.

What is more common, like with the kernel you flashed, SuperUser is packaged in as well. So you end up with a modified kernel and the same stock ROM then phone came with.
    10-30-2011 12:56 AM
    Hey JayWill72, thanks alot for your helpful input yasterday, running it back thruogh odin and flashing that stock kernel did the trick. Did have a tense moment with our fearly new Asus G73 laptop, attempted to run odin to reflash 3 times ,NOTHING, hit start and a few things came up in the notification or progress box and it would just sit there and do nothing. Was about to throw in the towel
    when i dicided to try my old refried HP DV2000, figuered I got nothing to lose at this point, so I start up odin, find EG30 stock file, load it to odin, put phone into odin mode, plug it into usb cable and WHALLA !!! off it whent, 2 + minuts later I was back to STOCK Epic touch mode. Big PROPS to Qbking77 for his "Updated How to unroot the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Newest" video on YT, used it as a guide and all went well.Need to do a little more research next time so I dont run into this problem again, you boot loop and you learn.
    Anyway thanks again for your dialoge and hope my experience can help out other newbees like my self.
    10-30-2011 04:10 PM
    No problem at all Pancho. Glad you were able to get back to stock. Sometimes that's the best place to be after a messy root experience.
    PanchoPlanet likes this.
    10-30-2011 08:47 PM
    you have to format your /system directory, FIRST, then wipe data, cache, and dalvik

then flash the rom, then flash the theme..

if you don't format your system directory, the status bar problem happens no matter what you are flashing..
    I am in the endless boot with status bar message. How does one format the system directory?
    11-16-2011 07:29 AM
    in cwm, its under mounts and storage..
    allan473 likes this.
    11-16-2011 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD