Howdy Folks .

I am so totally green on this android stuff & I am wanting to learn but the fist thing I need to know how to do if possible { just know there are people out there that can do it}

I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G & am am really digging this the last smart phone I had was a Palm 650
    Now I went with sprint because they have UNLIMITED for $80, now I went in there shopped for a month & talked to a lot of people I stressed what I want to do & asked "Is there anything I need to know?

They said there was 1 limit 450 minuets to land lines I can deal with that I stressed I needed to be able to run my laptop & all that fancy stuff NOW i find out there is another $35 service charge per month.

What I need to know is there a hack I can do so I don't have to get pizzed off & take this back & go to smoke singles

Other than this I really like the phone & would like to keep it I have a little more than a week before the t weeks trail runs out

Can you guys & gals help me out?

Thanks

SR66
    11-08-2011 02:57 PM
    Check out qbking77's videos. I suggest you start with How to root and clockworkmod the Samsung Epic Touch 4G.

[ACS] [How to] Root, Clockworkmod, Flash Roms, Unroot, Tips (20 videos) 11/4/11 - xda-developers
    Android32 and slowride66 like this.
    11-08-2011 10:07 PM
    WOW! a lot of words & abbrivations I have to look up & learn.

So Basicaly I will be able to keep this phone & tether it as soon as I become smart enuf to do it?

LOL!!!

I crack me up sometimes ( I am a dumb A$$ without a smart phone}.

thank you so SO very much.

SR66
    11-09-2011 08:34 PM
    it takes awhile to get the android lingo down. I followed qbking's videos and they are spot on. Didn't have any issues at all. I flashed my phone the day I got it and haven't looked back lol Just make sure to read and double check everything before starting.

This is my second android phone so the shock of tinkering with it wasn't so bad. When I rooted my LG optimus before we had 1 click or gingerbreak, I was scared out of my mind lol You haven't even touched ADB stuff yet, so be thankful there are easy solutions to rooting and flashing.

If you have questions or need help, just ask. That's the only way to learn this stuff and not screw up your phone
    slowride66 likes this.
    11-09-2011 09:35 PM
    Easiest thing - buy the app called pdanet. It will allow you to tether your phone to your laptop using a usb cable, and your laptop will be able to use your phone's internet connection - 3g or 4g.

It's not expensive and it's a one time charge instead of sprint's expensive charge every month.

Now, the wifi tether hack IS cooler, and it's free, and you don't have to use wires, and it works without installing anything on your laptop... But pdanet will fix you up till you learn how to root and all. Rooting is easy, don't let it scare you, but don't rush it. Take your time and make sure you press the right buttons in the right order lol.
    slowride66 likes this.
    11-10-2011 12:11 AM
    Thanks A bunch!

See all this time I thought "rooting " was done with a Over powered 4WD truck & a big area of mud!

I started watching the videos getting a little sea sick {kidding} maybe we can get him a assistant or a tri pod {Joking}

I don't need it right now but I will in the near future because I can barely text on a PC never mind the android.

Any one stop shopping you suggest to learn the abbreviations ?

Thanks Again

SR66
    11-10-2011 07:28 AM
    there is no "one stop shopping" when it comes to knowledge bro...
    take your time, and read the forums, here, and at many other websites...Use google to get quick answers to your immediate questions, but, real knowledge only comes over time...
    slowride66 likes this.
    11-10-2011 08:23 AM
    I'm new to Android too, came from a long long line of Palms. Assume you mean you had Treo 650? That does go back a ways.

Read Milominderbinders stickys at the the top of the forum, there is a crazy amount of information for noobs. There's a link somewhere to an Android dictionary that will help 'till you learn the language.

pdanet is an excellent starter, and it may be all you need. Though I can recommend rooting, if only for Adfree, and Titanium Backup (apps available in the Market).

If you get stuck, someone here will be able to help you out.

Good luck mate.
    slowride66 likes this.
    11-14-2011 01:09 PM
    Thank You all I will be reading & acquire knowledge before I attempt to root OR anything else I am sure I will need help if nothing else just a little hand holding.LOL!

Yes A Palm TREO 650 its amazing how they started all of this smart phone stuff & got beat in their own game I had been waiting for them to come out with something compatible but the PRE went before it came to fruition.

I still have two of them in working order I figure I can use them in the shop for taking pictures & stuff I wish I could hack them back to life maybe another day when I am standing around doing nothing & is in the mood.

Thanks A lot

SR66
    11-14-2011 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD