WiFi Tethering not working?

Rikeroleg

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the Epic 4G Touch. The only reason I sign up with Sprint it was for Unlimited Internet. Now they tell me I have to pay 30$ for tethering? So I rooted it the ZEDOMAX's way v.3. , the 4G network totally disappeared! but Im not worried about that coz I dont really need it. Everything else works just fine, besides the WiFi Tethering! its a big deal!

Please HELP!

PS: I also get that Yellow Triangle on start up...

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If you provide a little more details such as what rom you are using we can narrow it down. If you are on stock you need to modify the system with this mod: [HACK] [EG30] Hotspot Hack (3G Only for now) - xda-developers because unless you are using the sprint tether app, tethering with WIFI tether will not work with out flashing this mod or using a rom with this mod built in.

As for the yellow triagle, you can either buy a USB jig for a couple of dollars or you can use the steps in this thread [ACS][DEV] Lets Get Rid of that Yellow Triangle.. Proof of Concept.. **Updated 10/28 - xda-developers and that will get rid of it.

Rikeroleg

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
ok so after using "[ACS][DEV] Lets Get Rid of that Yellow Triangle.. Proof of Concept.. **Updated 10/28 - xda-developers" my kernel is 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EG30-CL435734... but when running the Installer.bat it said "su: not found"... and the phone would just reboot.. goind to my superuser app says "su (system binary) outdated.. I try to update and it would just kick me out on the home screen..
and my phone is not rooted anymore. I can't run any apps that require root.
Do I have to go and root through Odin again? With a new kernel? I don't know... that doesn't make any sense...

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Just use the new automated root method. If you want to keep stock and not install cwm just make sure you don't do that option and just the root method.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Rikeroleg

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
so i rooted.. flashed the Calkulin's E4GT ROM ... its awesome.. it should already have the wifi hack but this thing still wont work.. i dont know what else to do... im starting to think that its just not meant for me..

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
so i rooted.. flashed the Calkulin's E4GT ROM ... its awesome.. it should already have the wifi hack but this thing still wont work.. i dont know what else to do... im starting to think that its just not meant for me..

Strange, it has the hack built in. Can you walk me through your steps and where it doesn't work.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Edit: I just tested it on the same setup and it worked. Are you enabling encryption in the settings? It will not work without encryption enabled.

Last edited:

Rikeroleg

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok. so I enabled encryption and it says starting with errors... go to show log.. everything starts fine besides the "Activating encryption: failed" ... I tried wpa_supplicant and iwconfig ... and auto.. still fails ...

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Is WiFi tether built in to the ROM like CM7, or does it come with the Wireless Tether app instead? I discovered on my EVO that you can't (and obviously don't need) the app since it's built in.

Rikeroleg

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Unless you want to pay $30 a month you should avoid using sprint hotspot and use the app since it is free. Rikeroleg, what version of wifi tether are you using? have you tried the wiredtether?

you mean USB Tethering? yes!!! it works finally.. at least something!! thank you for reminding me about that. Wireless tether still doesn't work though..

Rikeroleg

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Im running calkulins and mine didnt work either. im using open garden wifi tether and it works. when i disconnect it flashes fault says it cant disonnect-are you sure youre rooted but i just overlook that. lol just an idea.

Installed OpenGargen.. just same thing as the other one... Encryption: failed.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't work for me too if I enable encryption. I root'd using the auto-root method mentioned, but otherwise I'm stock. Also, I thought this app functioned as an access point when I had it on my rooted Evo, but it now broadcasts as an ad-hoc connection.

Without encryption, the only security method available seems to be MAC access control - but how secure is this really? Also, is the encryption only WEP? No WPA/WPA2?

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Neither WifFi tether nor Open Garden are working for me. Rooted, stock rom. My tablet won't discover my phone and when I try manually it says it's not in range.

vlbaston

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Same problem since I owned the phone, I even took one back thinking the phone as damaged, not! Please post if!!!!! ...U get an answer.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Neither WifFi tether nor Open Garden are working for me. Rooted, stock rom. My tablet won't discover my phone and when I try manually it says it's not in range.
They only support ad-hoc mode at this time.

Your devices cannot see ad-hoc mode devices. That might be correctable for the tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke