02-09-2012 03:14 PM
189 ... 23456 ...
tools
    New to the rooting world. I used this to root my S2Epic. Option A. What next to basically start putting customs roms etc? Do i have to install the clockworks. Can someone give me step by step and maybe a good rom to stick with without LOS occurring.
    Yes you want to install sfhub's CWM install so you can use custom recovery to flash a ROM. LOS potential will be based on the kernel not the ROM. You may want to give the new Blazer ROM from Phantomhacker a try, as it comes with a stock kernel. Although, you can use any ROM you want and just flash a stock kernel afterwards.
    mike104393 likes this.
    11-28-2011 11:16 AM
    Yes you want to install sfhub's CWM install so you can use custom recovery to flash a ROM. LOS potential will be based on the kernel not the ROM. You may want to give the new Blazer ROM from Phantomhacker a try, as it comes with a stock kernel. Although, you can use any ROM you want and just flash a stock kernel afterwards.
    Thanks! Anyway, you can send me a link to that. So far, I haven't had any LOS with the "Option C" EG30 + CW. By the way, so what happens when a new update gets pushed out by sprint? Do I just ignore it and go on my way or should I go back to stock then update and wait for a root procedure to come out? Thanks!

Mike
    11-28-2011 12:27 PM
    Thanks! Anyway, you can send me a link to that. So far, I haven't had any LOS with the "Option C" EG30 + CW. By the way, so what happens when a new update gets pushed out by sprint? Do I just ignore it and go on my way or should I go back to stock then update and wait for a root procedure to come out? Thanks!

Mike
    You wouldn't likely see any LOS in your case, as all you did was install Superuser to gain root and CWM for custom recovery. Your kernel wasn't touched the way you rooted. As far as an update goes, it depends on what you have installed on your phone. In your current setup, you could probably install a pushed update. If you've installed a custom ROM and/or kernel, you probably want to wait for developers to update their ROMs and kernels based on the new source.

Here is a link to the Blazer ROM I mentioned ...

[ROM]Blazer Rom[11/26/11][v1.2] - xda-developers
    11-28-2011 12:48 PM
    Thanks to everyone here for the info. This thread got me to finally root. This couldn't have been any easier! I've got root now + CWM + Blazer ROM. This thing is super slick! If anyone is intimidated by root, and but wants to, I encourage you to read over these posts. No mo stock for me!

Special thanks to sfhub for the root method, donation coming.

Sent from my Blazing E4GT
    12-02-2011 08:24 AM
    Glad it worked for you. I don't take donations. If you feel the need to donate, find someone in the thanked section at the top of the post and donate to them. IMO Revolutionary had the most important contribution with the exploit, but they all contributed.
    12-02-2011 02:32 PM
    You're awesome sfhub. Thanks for shining your knowledge and expertise on this device.
    12-02-2011 02:49 PM
    This worked like a charm for me. Can I flash any ROM or are there any compatibility concerns I should keep in mind?
    12-03-2011 04:24 PM
    This worked like a charm for me. Can I flash any ROM or are there any compatibility concerns I should keep in mind?
    Using Option C, install EG30+CWM or EG31+CWM and you can flash any ROM from CWM.
    12-03-2011 04:47 PM
    Using Option C, install EG30+CWM or EG31+CWM and you can flash any ROM from CWM.
    What about if I used Option A when I rooted?
    12-03-2011 04:55 PM
    What about if I used Option A when I rooted?
    That is the correct order. You have to do Option A (root the phone) before doing Option C (install stock kernel repacked with CWM).
    12-03-2011 05:12 PM
    That is the correct order. You have to do Option A (root the phone) before doing Option C (install stock kernel repacked with CWM).
    So, do I just run the automated root again, except choose C this time?
    Sorry, if these are dumb questions. Its been a while since I've rooted and flashed ROMs.
    12-03-2011 06:58 PM
    You ran option A, and now run C. Now you can flash away

12-03-2011 09:00 PM
    You ran option A, and now run C. Now you can flash away

Got it. thanks for the help guys. Any suggestions on a good ROM?
    12-03-2011 09:57 PM
    Thanks sfhub for the method

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk
    12-03-2011 10:01 PM
    blazer is the first one I've flashed... Pretty sweet. Really snappy and a lot of ics love. No bugs thus far. Look for the link here to the rom, qb77 has great how to vids on that page.
    12-03-2011 10:05 PM
    blazer is the first one I've flashed... Pretty sweet. Really snappy and a lot of ics love. No bugs thus far. Look for the link here to the rom, qb77 has great how to vids on that page.
    Thanks a milli. This is the fun part so many kno little about. Thanks again, BlazerROM looks awesome.

12-03-2011 10:27 PM
    Finally decided to root after spending about 10-12 hours of researching root, rom, kernel, cwm, just to make sure I understand what I was about to do. Thanks a million sfhub.

I rooted, then add cwm, did a nandroid backup to external_sd, and copied the file to my computer just in case. Found out I could use appextractor to restore some important app and data so I didn't use Titanium. I then flash Calk 2.0 rom and after 24 hours of reconfiguring and restoring app and data, I must say it is remarkably stable. No FC yet and appextractor was flawless in restoring apps, app data, and settings. I fine tuned it to my liking and fixed the "long press home button breaks default launchers problem by renaming launcherpro.apk to launcherpro.bak. I think I am going to back up this current setup because it is pretty much what I need for now.
    12-06-2011 03:18 PM
    New to Android. I have been doing my due diligence for the past several weeks regarding rooting and I think I have finally reached the point where I am comfortable with going through with it. One question though. Is there any benefit to be gained from postponing rooting my phone until after the rumored system update from Samsung is issued, which I read is supposed to be sometime at the beginning or middle of this month? I don't mind waiting. But if it doesn't make any sense to wait then I was thinking of going forward with rooting and putting cwm and EG31 on my phone. Thanks.

Also, any suggestions for which ROM I should start out with? I am very partial to my current stock set up, home screens, app drawer pages, and app settings. However I am only interested in rooting to gain tether capability and increased speed performance. Not concerned about battery life (I alternate between 3). And not really interested in themes. Thank you all again.
    12-06-2011 07:09 PM
    Well, I wouldn't put the EG31 modem (ROM/kernel is ok) on right now if you don't already have it. There will most likely be an upgrade that will bring the EG31 modem to EK02, but right now there is none, and there is a possibility it won't be available right away either. Eventually there will be one, but with the EK02 release imminent, why take the chance delaying your ability to upgrade to the EK02 modem.

So upgrade ROM/kernel all you want, just leave the modem at EG30 for now.
    Blkthght06 likes this.
    12-06-2011 09:42 PM
    I recently rooted and flashed my E4GT... thanks to this GREAT new Root Method - and lots of other help in this and XDA forums - I got through it just great.

I originally flashed Caulkulin's V2.01 ROM - but then switched to BlazerROM... which I am quite happy with.

However - when I rooted - I selected the EG31+CWm (option C)... should I have choosen EG30 instead?

If so - should I unroot and go back to EG30? If I do - then I'm assuming I need to go back and reformat and reflash? Would it be easier just to do a Nandroid restore (I did a backup before flashing but after rooting).

Thanks - lots of great help here - enjoying this quite a bit! (my wife thinks I'm crazy to keep changing up my phone - but she's an iPhone user... and that pretty much sums up the difference!)

What may help me make better decisions going further would be some terminology help!
    - what is EG30 vs EG31 ? What is EK02...

It seems that there are several moving parts that need to be understood... I'm assuming EGxx has something to do with OS version ???? EKxx has to do with the Kernel?? But what about modem version - not sure what that is about?

Then - based on the different moving parts there are compatibility concerns?
    12-08-2011 09:56 AM
    EG30, EG31, and EK02 are all software versions for your phone.

The 1st letter is the year (E=11, F=12, ...)
    The 2nd letter is the month of build (A=Jan, ..., G=Jul, ..., K=Nov, L=Dec)
    The last 2 #s are the day of month.

The most important parts of these software releases are:
    1) modem/radio
    2) Kernel
    3) ROM

Sprint/Samsung will usually include new versions of all three for each release.

While in theory you could experience incompatibilities mixing and matching different versions of the 3 parts, in practice, so far, it hasn't been an issue. This statement is regarding the stock versions. Sometimes custom kernels can make changes that make mix and matching not work.

So you are fine having installed EG31+CWM. Also sometimes custom ROMs ship with their own kernels, so you may have already overwritten the EG31+CWM that you installed with Option C. You can normally just go back and flash the stock kernel versions using Option C after having installed a custom ROM (but sometimes if they included custom kernels their might be issues)

nandroid backups are full backups of Kernel, ROM, UserData, but NOT the modem. You can restore and get back to where you started (except for the modem), but usually people only do that if they messed something up bad or want to restart from scratch.
    12-08-2011 01:21 PM
    I rooted using this new tool a couple weeks ago - just wondering if this will break my ability to receive the OTA update that is being pushed out by Sprint, and if so, what do I need to do to get the OTA update? I've tried checking for updates, but it still says my version is the most recent available.

Thanks.
    12-08-2011 02:49 PM
    I rooted using this new tool a couple weeks ago - just wondering if this will break my ability to receive the OTA update that is being pushed out by Sprint, and if so, what do I need to do to get the OTA update? I've tried checking for updates, but it still says my version is the most recent available.
    If all you did was root (Option A) then the OTA update will apply without issues.

If you installed CWM (Option C) then you need to restore EG30 *before* you accept the OTA update.

If you made any changes on your own or deleted files in /system, then you need to undo those as the update will fail if the files it is expecting are not there. If you made no changes to /system on your own, then there is nothing to worry about.

The servers randomly choose MEIDs to receive the update. Checking for a newer version before your # is picked will not result in getting the update any quicker. Checking for updates only helps after your # is picked.
    12-09-2011 06:13 AM
    If all you did was root (Option A) then the OTA update will apply without issues.

If you installed CWM (Option C) then you need to restore EG30 *before* you accept the OTA update.

If you made any changes on your own or deleted files in /system, then you need to undo those as the update will fail if the files it is expecting are not there. If you made no changes to /system on your own, then there is nothing to worry about.

The servers randomly choose MEIDs to receive the update. Checking for a newer version before your # is picked will not result in getting the update any quicker. Checking for updates only helps after your # is picked.
    The update was pushed out to me, but I must not have restored everything properly because the install failed. Will the update get pushed to my phone again? When I go into settings and try to update Android it says system is up to date.

12-09-2011 08:31 AM
    EG30, EG31, and EK02 are all software versions for your phone.

The 1st letter is the year (E=11, F=12, ...)
    The 2nd letter is the month of build (A=Jan, ..., G=Jul, ..., K=Nov, L=Dec)
    The last 2 #s are the day of month.

The most important parts of these software releases are:
    1) modem/radio
    2) Kernel
    3) ROM

Sprint/Samsung will usually include new versions of all three for each release.

While in theory you could experience incompatibilities mixing and matching different versions of the 3 parts, in practice, so far, it hasn't been an issue. This statement is regarding the stock versions. Sometimes custom kernels can make changes that make mix and matching not work.

So you are fine having installed EG31+CWM. Also sometimes custom ROMs ship with their own kernels, so you may have already overwritten the EG31+CWM that you installed with Option C. You can normally just go back and flash the stock kernel versions using Option C after having installed a custom ROM (but sometimes if they included custom kernels their might be issues)

nandroid backups are full backups of Kernel, ROM, UserData, but NOT the modem. You can restore and get back to where you started (except for the modem), but usually people only do that if they messed something up bad or want to restart from scratch.
    THis explanation helps - thank you.

Now - how do we know what the changes are in each version - or why we would want one vs the other? What changes were made between EG30, EG31 and EK02 ? And was the modem, kernel and ROM changed or just some of the above?

Starting to make some sense...
    12-09-2011 09:07 PM
189 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD