02-09-2012 03:14 PM
189 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Hey guys,

I used this method on modem EG30. First, I did option A than option C to install CWM. Anyway, after reading the forums. I would like to install the OTA update. So I went back to this method, use option C then B to install EG30 "stock" and tried to update. I keep getting an error message saying "unknown error" Can someone help. I know I still have SuperUser control but how do I verify that CWM is completely out and my phone is back to stock EG30. Also, why can I not update?
    12-12-2011 11:17 PM
    Hey guys,

I used this method on modem EG30. First, I did option A than option C to install CWM. Anyway, after reading the forums. I would like to install the OTA update. So I went back to this method, use option C then B to install EG30 "stock" and tried to update. I keep getting an error message saying "unknown error" Can someone help. I know I still have SuperUser control but how do I verify that CWM is completely out and my phone is back to stock EG30. Also, why can I not update?
    Nm. Just manually installed the update.
    12-12-2011 11:39 PM
    I've researched this a bit, but seem to find mixed opinions. Can someone help? I used the auto root method in this thread, but everything else is stock. When the OTA update popped up on my phone this morning, I clicked OK without much thought. It's been sitting on the triangle screen for about an hour. Will/should it eventually work/update? Would pulling the battery, to start over and manually update work?

Thanks!!
    12-13-2011 08:39 AM
    I've researched this a bit, but seem to find mixed opinions. Can someone help? I used the auto root method in this thread, but everything else is stock. When the OTA update popped up on my phone this morning, I clicked OK without much thought. It's been sitting on the triangle screen for about an hour. Will/should it eventually work/update? Would pulling the battery, to start over and manually update work?

Thanks!!
    I found another thread answering my question, saying that the autoroot method should still allow the OTA to install...although I'm now going on 2 hours!!!
    12-13-2011 09:00 AM
    I used the automated root method as well and the OTA update would not install. I went back to the stock setup but I guess I have to wait for Sprint to push the update to me again as there is no way to download it. The "update firmware" button will not work unless you told the OTA update to "Remind me later" which I didn't do.....instead electing to install now. And like I said about halfway through I got an error message and the install aborted with no changes made to the firmware.

Anyone know how to obtain the update without waing for it to be pushed to me by Sprint?
    12-13-2011 12:32 PM
    I found another thread answering my question, saying that the autoroot method should still allow the OTA to install...although I'm now going on 2 hours!!!
    Did you make a nandroid backup of your system? In theory, they said that option A only add additional files to your phone so you can have su access. But whrn I reinstalled the EG30 modem back to stock and update. I ran into an error. I would suggest restoring from a backup or downloading the update manually and updating it through the recovery. Best way is to go to xda forum and read through it. One of the guys encountered the same and said he had to restore to fix. Hope this helps.
    12-13-2011 07:13 PM
    It shouldn't take that long.

Press the [Menu] button on the phone and and see if there is an error.

Some people don't realize that you can inadvertently make changes to /system without realizing it once you have root. You would be responsible for undoing these changes prior to applying the OTA udpate.

For example if you uninstall a system app using Titanium you might not be realizing it, but you have just modified your ROM. I'm just giving that as one example, there are other cases as well.

Also if you installed EG30+CWM, you would need to undo that and install EG30 prior to accepting the OTA update.

If you can't figure out what changed, the quickest way is to just reinstall the EG30 system using FAQ #E12

e12) I told it to install the EK02 update, but something went wrong, now it won't prompt me again, how do I install EK02?
    12-13-2011 07:31 PM
    In theory, they said that option A only add additional files to your phone so you can have su access.
    It's not theory, I can guarantee Option A only adds files and doesn't modify or delete the files that came with your stock ROM.

But whrn I reinstalled the EG30 modem back to stock and update. I ran into an error.
    Most of the times this happens because people inadvertently make changes to their ROM w/o realizing it. For example if you uninstalled a system app using Titanium, you have modified your ROM. If you installed some "fix" using CWM, you have probably modified your ROM. If you install EG30+CWM, you need to install EG30.

As mentioned above, if someone can't figure out what changed, I would suggest just installing EG30 using the referenced thread, then installing the OTA update manually.
    12-13-2011 07:37 PM
    Ok used Option A, then Option C for ek02 plus CWM . Now what do I download for wireless tether hotspot? I had the ek02 update prior to rooting some im using the new modem files, most hotspot wireless tether downloads i see are for the eg30. Any links?
    12-14-2011 10:06 AM
    Just search for hotspot on epic touch development forums over at xda. There are a couple integrated into EK02 ROMs.
    12-14-2011 12:34 PM
    Question on ROM and EL13 update (can't ask on XDA as I'm not a 'developer'

I am running V2.0 of BlazerROM. There is a beta version that I believe has EL13 in it - is that a correct assumption?

Anyway - I am not starting to get my system update notifications - and am ignoring them.

- so will updated to the new BlazerROM w/EL13 stop the update message?
    - if not - what do I have to do to stop it (then OR now)?

Thanks
    12-15-2011 10:47 AM
    Question on ROM and EL13 update (can't ask on XDA as I'm not a 'developer'

I am running V2.0 of BlazerROM. There is a beta version that I believe has EL13 in it - is that a correct assumption?

Anyway - I am not starting to get my system update notifications - and am ignoring them.

- so will updated to the new BlazerROM w/EL13 stop the update message?
    - if not - what do I have to do to stop it (then OR now)?

Thanks
    Yes the EL13 update beta he posted would stop the update notification pop-ups, but it's not necessary to upgrade yet to get the messages to stop. I'm not moving to the EL13 version until more testing is done and it moves out of beta status. PH's Blazer ROM seemed to have some issues on 2.3.6 before, which is why he opted to stay on a 2.3.4 base. I want that to get figured out first.

So!

In your /system folder is a file called build.prop. Open it with a text editor and scroll down to "ro.build.version.release=2.3.4". Change "2.3.4" to "2.3.6" and save, then reboot. You may get a notification popup on your first re-boot, so clear it and the updates will stop from there on.
    12-15-2011 11:31 AM
    This worked for a while (it seemed) - but today - getting the notifications again...

Verified that the /system/build.prop "Ro.build.version.release=2.3.6" is correct.

Have rebooted - powered off...
    12-16-2011 08:54 AM
    This worked for a while (it seemed) - but today - getting the notifications again...

Verified that the /system/build.prop "Ro.build.version.release=2.3.6" is correct.

Have rebooted - powered off...
    Hmm that's weird. You should only get the notification on a reboot. Well, you could also do this ...

[How-To] Disable System Updates & Clear Notification - xda-developers

The only downside is you would need to unfreeze system updates in order to update your Profile or PRL, which isn't that big of a deal since having to do either of those two things should be rare.
    12-16-2011 11:09 AM
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this and i just got a sgt4g. after i root can i install Blazer v2.0 or do i have to install v1.2 because the phone is using a stock kennel EG30 and not EK02 or does it make a difference at all. Sorry if this question has already been asked.
    12-16-2011 06:09 PM
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this and i just got a sgt4g. after i root can i install Blazer v2.0 or do i have to install v1.2 because the phone is using a stock kennel EG30 and not EK02 or does it make a difference at all. Sorry if this question has already been asked.
    In general it is good to match the modem/kernel/rom since those were tested together by Samsung.

In practice though, it has been ok to mix/match different versions of each.

Not all ROMs come with kernels, but Blazer ROM does comes with its own kernel, so those were tested together and should work fine. The only "mismatch" you might have is the modem/radio (which ROMs generally do not come with) In practice, we've found that you can use use different radios with different kernels so you should be fine. Certainly nothing is going to blow up or brick your phone so go for it.
    marable likes this.
    12-17-2011 01:02 AM
    I have a galaxy s2 epic 4g touch, I researched and found out that I would need to root so I can get the wifi hotspot option back on the phone. I am guessing I am trying to add old file back to get that option? then I think all I need to after that is download a wifi hotspot app. like android-wifi-tether do u guys know of one that has a lot of features like setup ssid, how much data u are using etc. which one is the best?

so I found this info regarding rooting the phone using the odin app,
    I put the phone in download mode then I was at the part for the
    sph-d700-xxxxx-8gb-rel.tar file, I had to go look for that file and found

SPH-D700-EB13-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 I thought to myself my phone is a sph-d710 does it make
    a difference the file says d700? also the tar file has another extension .md5 does that
    make a difference?

also what does the file do? and what does these files do?

Deodexed-Rooted-Busybox-CWM-EK02.tar
    Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_EK02.tar

the directions says make sure u have the latest win 7 drivers, which drivers is it referring
    to the usb drivers?

and now I find this post with an "easier way to root"

I might have missed this but what are the steps for easy root?

its so cool to read the excitement in you guys post, please give steps to the newbies
    and some explanation of what files represent and what your doing to the phone when you install these files. I like tinkering with the phone, I read there is a good backup app that can be used if u break the phone, one that will put phone back just the way it was whats the name of that app, do I have to back up to s/d card or can I back up to pc? thanks for all your help.
    12-17-2011 07:43 PM
    Do not flash the D700 stuff, it is for a different phone. You'll probably have bad results, possibly very bad, if you try.

If all you want is to run Android WiFi Tether, just use the link in the first post. It'll add root to your existing ROM and then you can use Android WiFi Tether.

Don't do ODIN until you read more about it. You can get yourself into trouble if you are not aware what you are doing. Just a wrong button push can brick your phone.

The AutoRoot is very safe. It is almost impossible for it to cause your phone harm.
    12-17-2011 10:15 PM
    Do not flash the D700 stuff, it is for a different phone. You'll probably have bad results, possibly very bad, if you try.

If all you want is to run Android WiFi Tether, just use the link in the first post. It'll add root to your existing ROM and then you can use Android WiFi Tether.

Don't do ODIN until you read more about it. You can get yourself into trouble if you are not aware what you are doing. Just a wrong button push can brick your phone.

The AutoRoot is very safe. It is almost impossible for it to cause your phone harm.
    ok thx for the tip, very important. I got the automated root window up not sure what to pick, what does
    install su, busybox not el13 mean?
    install bootimg/zimage (eg30,eg31,ek02,el13 cwm/stock )
    what does those codes stand for is there a place I can see what those codes stand for?
    12-17-2011 11:46 PM
    ok thx for the tip, very important. I got the automated root window up not sure what to pick, what does
    install su, busybox not el13 mean?
    This means install root.

install bootimg/zimage (eg30,eg31,ek02,el13 cwm/stock )
    what does those codes stand for is there a place I can see what those codes stand for?
    This means install CWM/ClockWorkMod. That is a custom recovery program that allows you to install custom ROMs.
    12-18-2011 04:11 AM
    This means install root.

This means install CWM/ClockWorkMod. That is a custom recovery program that allows you to install custom ROMs.
    ok I am starting to understand a little more, for my case I want to get the phone to where it does not have tht stupid sprint wifi hotspot app which keeps getting in the way anytime I install a third party app.

Shipped ROM S710.0.5S.EG30 Gingerbread 2.3.4 tar 7/30/2011 this is the shipped rom.
    Update #1 (OTA) S710.0.5S.EK02 Gingerbread 2.3.6 zip 12/7/2011 over the air rom
    Update #2 'leak' S710.0.5S.EL13 Gingerbread 2.3.6 tar / zip 12/12/2011 update rom

then you have the kernels

then you have the modems.
    12-18-2011 10:20 AM
    ok I took option a which is install root, install su, busybox not el13, it ran with no errors. but I am still getting the prompt from sprint wifi hotspot app. how do I get rid of sprint wifi hotspot app? please help

I dnot think I need option c right which is install booimg/zimage that has el13 in it, thats what I dont want right?
    12-18-2011 10:29 AM
    Aside from a one click root I don't think this could be any easier, painless and simple, thanks for posting!
    12-18-2011 01:01 PM
    ok I took option a which is install root, install su, busybox not el13, it ran with no errors. but I am still getting the prompt from sprint wifi hotspot app. how do I get rid of sprint wifi hotspot app? please help
    Root doesn't, by itself, fix/change anything. It gives you the permissions/ability to fix/change anything.

As to the hotspot, I'm not sure what you mean by the "prompt from sprint wifi hotspot app". I've never seen that.

I dnot think I need option c right which is install booimg/zimage that has el13 in it, thats what I dont want right?
    Option C has many different BootImg/zImage/Kernel choices (those are all equivalent names for the same thing). You have the option of installing the EG30, EG31, EK02, and EL13. For example, if you installed EG30, then, while something would be installed, there would be no change because that is what you had already on a phone from the factory. Also included are versions of the above repacked (reassembled) to include CWM. The linux kernel is the same as the one shipped from Samsung, but the associated recovery files were replaced. CWM allows you to install custom ROMs and also run update.zip's folks have created to fix different things.

If you want to completely get rid of Sprint WiFi Hotspot, you probably need to search for that on XDA. It actually isn't just a regular app. It is integrated into the core UI. I remember seeing someone made the effort to take it out, but don't recall where. It is probably easier to flash a ROM that enables Sprint WiFi Hotspot than it is to find one that has it removed.
    12-18-2011 02:24 PM
    ok I am starting to understand a little more, for my case I want to get the phone to where it does not have tht stupid sprint wifi hotspot app which keeps getting in the way anytime I install a third party app.

Shipped ROM S710.0.5S.EG30 Gingerbread 2.3.4 tar 7/30/2011 this is the shipped rom.
    Update #1 (OTA) S710.0.5S.EK02 Gingerbread 2.3.6 zip 12/7/2011 over the air rom
    Update #2 'leak' S710.0.5S.EL13 Gingerbread 2.3.6 tar / zip 12/12/2011 update rom

then you have the kernels

then you have the modems.
    The bolded ones actually include modems, kernels, and ROMs.
    12-18-2011 02:25 PM
189 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD