02-09-2012 03:14 PM
189 ... 45678
tools
    I'm currently running Blazer Rom V2.0 and will be flashing a new Rom to get to EL13 shortly.

My Phone says I'm on:

Android version: 2.3.6 (but assuming that is because I manually changed my profile so I don't get the update messages?)

Baseband version: S710.10.s.EG30

Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EK02-CL704398

Build Number: Blazer v2.0 (ROM - obviously)

Looking at the ROM's I'm interested int - Caulkulin's ROM 2.5.1 has Gingerbread 2.3.6 and EL13 - with the Rogue Kernel.

BlazerRom V3.1 has EL13, stock Rogue EK02, and it looks like it may still be 2.3.4? (I don't see any reference to 2.3.6 in the features?)

So if I flash Caulkulin's V2.5.1 - then will my:

Baseband Version now be EL13
    Kernel Version be ????
    Build Number - Caulkulin's ROM V2.5.1

Where I'm still a little confused is - is EL13 both a Kernel and a Modem? or is EL13 just a modem upgrade?

And in the case of Both these ROMs - I'm always getting a Kernel and Modem in them?
    12-19-2011 11:35 AM
    So is this the easiest root method for the Touch? I am not interested in running a custom rom at the moment. I just want WiFi Tether and to remove all this Sprint/Samsung Bloat. Is it easy to unroot? I've come from an Evo and have been surprised to find how differently the root methods are. Hell, even the jargon has me confused. Does this method give me a custom recovery, e.g. CWM?
    12-19-2011 11:58 AM
    Adding to my previous question - Do I need to flash the EL13 Modem separately (before or after) I flash Caulkulin's ROM ???

I'm currently running Blazer Rom V2.0 and will be flashing a new Rom to get to EL13 shortly.

My Phone says I'm on:

Android version: 2.3.6 (but assuming that is because I manually changed my profile so I don't get the update messages?)

Baseband version: S710.10.s.EG30

Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EK02-CL704398

Build Number: Blazer v2.0 (ROM - obviously)

Looking at the ROM's I'm interested int - Caulkulin's ROM 2.5.1 has Gingerbread 2.3.6 and EL13 - with the Rogue Kernel.

BlazerRom V3.1 has EL13, stock Rogue EK02, and it looks like it may still be 2.3.4? (I don't see any reference to 2.3.6 in the features?)

So if I flash Caulkulin's V2.5.1 - then will my:

Baseband Version now be EL13
    Kernel Version be ????
    Build Number - Caulkulin's ROM V2.5.1

Where I'm still a little confused is - is EL13 both a Kernel and a Modem? or is EL13 just a modem upgrade?

And in the case of Both these ROMs - I'm always getting a Kernel and Modem in them?
    12-19-2011 07:25 PM
    I need help guys. When I try to install CW Recovery my phone will not boot into this specific recovery. I've tried to download CWM from Rom Manager and it seemed to download correctly but when I try to boot into it it gives me the triangle with the exclamation inside. Afterwards it goes in to the Android Recovery. I am rooted using this method.

Thanks,
    12-19-2011 08:47 PM

From samsung, el13 is a modem, kernel, and rom upgrade. The auto root package is only concerned with the bootimg/kernel because that needs to be changed to give you cwm

custom Roms sometimes will include kernels but usually won't include modems
    12-20-2011 08:08 AM
    Adding to my previous question - Do I need to flash the EL13 Modem separately (before or after) I flash Caulkulin's ROM ???
    You don't have to. Many people mix/match modems, kernels and roms from different versions to see what works best for them.
    12-20-2011 08:11 AM
    So is this the easiest root method for the Touch? I am not interested in running a custom rom at the moment. I just want WiFi Tether and to remove all this Sprint/Samsung Bloat. Is it easy to unroot? I've come from an Evo and have been surprised to find how differently the root methods are. Hell, even the jargon has me confused. Does this method give me a custom recovery, e.g. CWM?
    Imo this is the easiest and safest way to root because it doesn't involve flashing anything new.

Unroot is very simple, just choose option B

If you want cwm, choose option C (after option A)
    12-20-2011 08:14 AM
    You don't have to. Many people mix/match modems, kernels and roms from different versions to see what works best for them.
    So if the ROM states it has EL13 - then that doesn't mean the modem is included? That is my interpretation. So if I flash Caulkulin's 2.5.1 ROM - and it has EL13, then to get the modem I'll flash that separately... I suppose after each step I will check what my phone information states - that should give me a good idea.
    12-20-2011 08:23 AM
    I went to do a Nandroid backup before flashing - and it fails - not enough room.

What I think happened is this:
    - In added an external micro SD card - only a 2gb card... and it seems that the Nandroid backup was trying to go there - (and did not have enough room).
    - this seems to validate when i removed the card - the backup won't run at all... can't find where to write the backup - so that is consistent with originally trying to write to that card.
    - When I use Astro - - and go to directory: /mnt/sdcard/ I see a total of 11.5gb storage, Used: 1.19gb, avail: 10.31 gb, (or select sdcard usage)
    - When I go to directory: /mnt and see the list view of sdcard - I only see 725.67M and it is 100% full ??
    Is the /mnt/sdcard/ and /mnt - sdcard listing not the same thing???

After removing my external microSD card - when I go to run the Nandroid backup - I get a different error - can't find where to write the backup (so obviously it was trying to write the backup to my microSD card - but with that card gone - it won't go back to /mnt/sdcard/ where I found my original nandroid backup in /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/

Tried going into recovery mode and mounting /sdcard - that failed: - Error mounting /sdcard! Log record says:
    W: failed to mount dev/block/cyasblkdevblk0 (No such file or directory)

I could just go ahead and run Caulkilin's format zip - and reflash I suppose - but wanted to do that nandroid backup first.
    12-20-2011 08:37 AM
    Install the cwm from the auto root package, it supports internal and external sd

Roms don't include mod ems. Couldn't even flash modems through cwm until last month
    12-20-2011 05:46 PM
    Install the cwm from the auto root package, it supports internal and external sd
    So I'm assuming since I've already done this - and rooted this way - that all I need to do is run option C ?

(though I had already done this previously)
    12-20-2011 05:57 PM
    So I'm assuming since I've already done this - and rooted this way - that all I need to do is run option C ?

(though I had already done this previously)
    Yes option C

You may have done it already, but also may have overwritten cwm with a different version when flashing a rom that comes with kernel
    12-21-2011 01:03 AM
    Need help Guys, I auto rooted my wife's phone, the kennel is EG30+CWM and the Modem is also EG30. I followed the instructions on the first post, I did a backup and then I flashed Blazer v2.0 the screen said the install was sucessful i then rebooted the phone as the phone was going through all the different screens when it got to the lock screen the phone froze and than started to flash on and off. I pulled the battery and reinserted and still got the same results (flashing on and off). So i went back to CWM and did a recovery. Any help to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated!!
    12-21-2011 12:59 PM
    Yes option C

You may have done it already, but also may have overwritten cwm with a different version when flashing a rom that comes with kernel
    Yes - that was exactly what must have happened. So went to EG30+CWM again... .then PANICKED when I couldn't select any options - nor figure out how to get OUT of CWM... then I realized I had to use my home key - or else toggle my volume keys so that I could select with my power button.

So definitely - a different version of CWM must have been installed with one of my ROMs.

Was able to do a nandroid backup to my internal card now! Backed up with Titanium, disabled Go Launcher and on to flashing Caulkulin's 2.5.1 (may wait for 2.6).

Also - will be flashing the EL13 modem last - any feedback or concerns about going to EL13???
    12-21-2011 06:17 PM
    Also - will be flashing the EL13 modem last - any feedback or concerns about going to EL13???
    It works better, worse, same depending on your conditions. Just need to try it out and see which catgory you fall under.
    12-22-2011 07:31 PM
    I downloaded the software in this thread. Kaspersky flagged it is a virus. I ignored it, as most software that is legit but performs this way will flag as a virus.

Well, I got Security Sphere 2012 from it.
    12-22-2011 10:12 PM
    I downloaded the software in this thread. Kaspersky flagged it is a virus. I ignored it, as most software that is legit but performs this way will flag as a virus.

Well, I got Security Sphere 2012 from it.
    And you are absolutely sure that came from the e4gtauto.zip or e4gtauto-sfx.exe package?

That is a pretty strong accusation. Both files were already scanned for viruses before being uploaded.

To be safe, I went ahead and re-downloaded both files from the links provided. Then I downloaded the latest 12/23/2011 Kaspersky and ran it on both files.

As expected, it complained about the zergrush exploit, which is a *Linux* ARM6 executable. That binary format won't even run on Intel-based windows machines, so it is hard to believe it gave you windows malware.

zergrush IS an exploit (being used in this case to provide you root), so that is why it is being flagged. You can treat it as something to ignore, because you ARE trying to exploit your phone in this case.

As to how you got "Security Sphere 2012", I don't know, it didn't come from this package. Perhaps one of the random ads that pop up on your screen enticed you to inadvertently click on them and/or you are running unpatched browser or flash.

12-23-2011 01:25 PM
    Oh, for sure it was as soon as I was done downloading it. I ran the program, and boy oh boy, 6 hours later, I had a clean PC again. I wasn't even on a website, except for the website in the link that had the instructions.

I want to unroot, as my battery life has taken a 12 hour nose dive, plus I am getting LOS all over the place, but I am scared now.
    12-24-2011 07:23 PM
    Oh, for sure it was as soon as I was done downloading it. I ran the program, and boy oh boy, 6 hours later, I had a clean PC again. I wasn't even on a website, except for the website in the link that had the instructions.
    If you look at what you are downloading the claims you are making are not possible.
    1) zergrush is an ARM6 binary, it cannot run on Intel
    2) a "zip" file cannot by itself give you a virus
    3) adb.exe is straight from android toolkit and was scanned virus free through multiple checkers
    4) the self-extractor was scanned through multiple checkers
    5) hundreds if not thousands of people have downloaded the package w/o issues
    6) everything else in the package are batch files where you can examine the functions easily

If you are going to make the claim this package is distributing malware, at least give the Kaspersky warning malware name so I can begin to track down what your issue is.

I want to unroot, as my battery life has taken a 12 hour nose dive, plus I am getting LOS all over the place, but I am scared now.
    Now you really have no idea what you are talking about. There is no way the root in this package *caused* LOS. You would have had LOS regardless. The 3 files installed are essentially dormant unless you choose to run them. busybox is completely dormant. Superuser.apk is a database of who is allowed root privileges. su is not used unless you run an app requesting root priviliges. These files simply cannot cause LOS. I'm not saying you aren't experiencing LOS, but if you are, it isn't due to these files.

I'm being a little short with you simply because you aren't really listening to reason and just continuously make claims without addressing the rebuttals.
    12-24-2011 09:29 PM
    I'm going to recieve my device soon and have researched root access. I look forward to diving into things once I recieve my E4GT.
    12-25-2011 12:18 AM
    Sf, chill out. I am not accusing you of anything. I am not saying your method was bad. I am also not the only one with LOS after root.

Facts, I downloaded the package, got a virus, and my device has crap battery life now (7 hours now, was 24+), and LOS, 2-3 times a day, before it had never happened.

I don't know why, don't care either. I don't think you screw my phone or pc up, so don't flame me. I kust posted my experience, for good or for bad.
    12-25-2011 06:33 AM
    Sf, chill out. I am not accusing you of anything. I am not saying your method was bad. I am also not the only one with LOS after root.
    LOS is in the stock software though it doesn't affect as many people. LOS after root, where you had no LOS before, then suddenly start getting LOS is a symptom of installing a custom recompiled kernel. It is NOT a symptom of adding 3 essentially dormant files to your system, which is what this root is doing.

Facts, I downloaded the package, got a virus, and my device has crap battery life now (7 hours now, was 24+), and LOS, 2-3 times a day, before it had never happened.
    Facts are if you scan the package for a virus, nothing comes up except the known Android exploit which is in a binary format which cannot even run on Windows.

If after posting this message, I find I have a virus, does that mean that I got the virus because I posted this message?
    12-25-2011 11:24 AM
    Does this new root method work on a stock phone with the Kernel version EK02 ?
    12-29-2011 09:08 PM
    Does this new root method work on a stock phone with the Kernel version EK02 ?
    Yes it will. The EL13/EL26 are leaks and are not official but Sfhub has added support for those also.
    12-29-2011 09:26 PM
    does this work for EK02
    12-30-2011 09:12 PM
189 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD