New root method- Sfhub Automated Root

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Automated root of your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN or ROM Flash)

Android Central / XDA member Sfhub has saved the day for those wanting simple root leaving EXISTING kernel/initramfs/recovery/rom in tact.

attachment.php

Quote:Sfhub
Thanks Revolutionary for the exploit, Denys Vlasenko for busybox, ChainsDD for su

This guide is for directly rooting EG30 Android for the Samsung E4GT using a 100% automated script.

This root method uses your EXISTING kernel/initramfs/recovery/rom, so it shouldn't suffer from LOS (unless you had LOS with stock to start with)

Nothing is flashed, so you just get your existing setup with the addition of ROOT.
This will NOT trigger the Yellow Triangle nor will it increase your ODIN flash count.
[ROOT][EG30] Automated root of your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN or ROM Flash) - xda-developers

Last edited:

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: New root method

Definitely a good way to root. This will help retain the stock system and hopefully prevent or at least limit LOS. Do you mind updating the OP and title to give more information to those interested in rooting? I have a feeling this method will be stickied and I don't think it is necessary to recreate a new thread since you just started one.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: New root method

Definitely a good way to root. This will help retain the stock system and hopefully prevent or at least limit LOS. Do you mind updating the OP and title to give more information to those interested in rooting? I have a feeling this method will be stickied and I don't think it is necessary to recreate a new thread since you just started one.
Updated :)

Reactions: dtm_stretch

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Nice! Finally an easy way for those who fear LOS to gain root. If sfhub manages to get a custom recovery in there it'll be the ultimate solution for those who want full unmolested stock.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris778811

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

Nice! Finally an easy way for those who fear LOS to gain root. If sfhub manages to get a custom recovery in there it'll be the ultimate solution for those who want full unmolested stock.
I added CWM5 support via chris41g's stock (not recompiled) EG30 kernel with CWM5 repacked into the initramfs. This is probably as close to stock with CWM5 as you are going to get with Samsung because, unlike other platforms, they share the same kernel for both Recovery and Android. Also there is support to put back your completely stock EG30. You can bounce back and forth between the two as much as you like.

Theoretically you could probably run Custom Recovery out of Android rather than booting into Recovery. It would take a while to work everything out to get that working. If someone has done the work, I'll gladly integrate into the automated install script.

cboekhoven

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

So glad to see sfhub has come over from the Optimus S. Loved your work over there. I am excited to see how fast this got updated with CWM. Seems like early this morning XDA was commenting on needing the integration of CWM.

Great work sfhub!!!!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Well I rooted and got 1st LOS ever had on this device.
Joke.....yes a bad one but couldn't resist :)
Ive owned ET since release day never had it happen hope to never does.
I'm going to hold off a couple weeks on adding CWM into mix watching closely to make sure LOS has nothing to do with simple root.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I rooted and got 1st LOS ever had on this device.
Joke.....yes a bad one but couldn't resist :)
Ive owned ET since release day never had it happen hope to never does.
I'm going to hold off a couple weeks on adding CWM into mix watching closely to make sure LOS has nothing to do with simple root.

I am doubtful that it is cwm that causes the LOS. I only get LOS when I run kernels that aren't completely stock. Running chris41g's stock pulled I have yet to experience LOS and that has cwm built in.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I am doubtful that it is cwm that causes the LOS. I only get LOS when I run kernels that aren't completely stock. Running chris41g's stock pulled I have yet to experience LOS and that has cwm built in.

OK I'm sold time to have fun calks rom has been knocking on my door since release.

Now to the question.
I rooted using no SD card.
Should I un-root then re-root with SD card installed being that CWM is going to play part?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm sold time to have fun calks rom has been knocking on my door since release.

Now to the question.
I rooted using no SD card.
Should I un-root then re-root with SD card installed being that CWM is going to play part?

You should be ok to use the internal card because cwm can use both. Just remember caulk's rom uses the lost experimental kernel and I have experienced LOS with that, just flash the stock pulled from chris41g after flashing the rom.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

You should be ok to use the internal card because cwm can use both. Just remember caulk's rom uses the lost experimental kernel and I have experienced LOS with that, just flash the stock pulled from chris41g after flashing the rom.

Cool just installed cwm-chris41g package everything went smooth.
Sorry I'm new always used SD card in EVO days to transport goodies for flash.

I took a look in internal storage and his kernels not showing :confused:
Do I drop calks rom & chris kernel into that storage folder?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Cool just installed cwm-chris41g package everything went smooth.
Sorry I'm new always used SD card in EVO days to transport goodies for flash.

I took a look in internal storage and his kernels not showing :confused:
Do I drop calks rom & chris kernel into that storage folder?

Yeah just drop the rom and kernel on to the internal sd card.

Oh and when your in cwm just make sure you choose install zip from internal sdcard not the regular option that just says install zip grok sdcard because that accesses the external sdcard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slingbox

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Calk's ROM is gonna flash your kernel Sling. You'd have to flash the stock pulled kernel over it, which is what you've been avoiding in the first place. Just wanted to make sure you knew what you would be getting yourself into.

Reactions: Slingbox

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Yeah Calk's ROM is gonna flash your kernel Sling. You'd have to flash the stock pulled kernel over it, which is what you've been avoiding in the first place. Just wanted to make sure you knew what you would be getting yourself into.

yeah it would be nice if he had kernel-less version like the good old EVO days.
Anyway my toy is rooted everything feels tight. I'm thinking about going with setup your currently running.
Is new kernel good?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
yeah it would be nice if he had kernel-less version like the good old EVO days.
Anyway my toy is rooted everything feels tight. I'm thinking about going with setup your currently running.
Is new kernel good?

I'm using the kernel packaged with Calk's ROM for now. I'd like een running that kernel for over a week on VIPERROM with great results. I will probably try the new Team Rogue kernel soon though.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You know, one of beauties of this root method now that it comes with CWM, is you now have I Nandroid image of your stock system. If you get your first LOS and it bothers you enough your a Nandroid restore away from being back to full stock. Not to mention still having a zeroed Odin counter and not having to deal with the yellow triangle.

Awesome work sfhub. Truly awesome.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Going to watch from the sidelines and see the full LOS report after people have ran it for a bit. Definitely gives hope though.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Would someone mind posting the steps for flashing via CWM? I assume they are the same no matter what you flash, just like in ODIN?

I just don't know the details/order - I think CWM is obtained by holding the down volume and power key but I don't know what to do after that - I understand the zip files need to be downloaded to the sd card? Is that SDCARD or EXTERNAL SD CARD?

If there's a thread with these instructions, I'd appreciate it - I've been reading for days and I'm fried.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Would someone mind posting the steps for flashing via CWM? I assume they are the same no matter what you flash, just like in ODIN?

I just don't know the details/order - I think CWM is obtained by holding the down volume and power key but I don't know what to do after that - I understand the zip files need to be downloaded to the sd card? Is that SDCARD or EXTERNAL SD CARD?

If there's a thread with these instructions, I'd appreciate it - I've been reading for days and I'm fried.

For flashing via CWM.

-To boot into the CWM recovery hold vol up + power it will show the samsung and yellow triangle screen just give it a minute or so

-If you are on the most current CWM 5.0.2.7 then both internal and external sd cards are supported, I am pretty sure on 5.0.2.6 and lower the internal card is not supported. It is listed at the top of CWM which version you have.

-Once in CWM use the volume keys to navigate up and down.

-In the newest CWM power is the back button and the home button (the house shaped button on the bottom) is the enter. On 5.0.2.6 the Power button is the enter botton.

-To flash something, after booting into CWM, navigate down to install zip from sd card. Press the home button(or power if you are on an older version)

-In the new menu, you will see options for "install zip from sd card"(which means external) or "install from internal sd card". Just select the option you want. Then navigate to the "yes" to flash.

- Remember to always make a nandroid back up which is in the "back up and restore menu" under "backup."

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish