I cannot use my phone after rooting and then trying to install a rom. I wiped the cache and dalvik and ended up with a message saying status bar quit. I went back to stock rom and still got the message. I went back to root and then went to recovery after seeing this advise:

1)Make a nandroid backup
    2)Format System Under Mounts and Storage (Important!) and Wipe Data
    3)Wipe cache
    4)Wipe dalvik
    5)Flash

I don't know what step two is - I don't see that option. is it the same as a data/factory reset?

Anyway, I wiped cache and dalvik and in advanced I wiped the battery status and the other thing (can't remember) I could wipe there.

I just repeated the process and still get the message and can't use the phone.

Any ideas?
    11-15-2011 10:01 PM
    ok so before u do anything read this all the way through ok some of these steps might not be necessary but never the less these are the steps i take when flashing roms and i never have problems. So first off go into recovery mode on while you're in recovery mode take the back cover off and pull out your sd card just so u dont erase everything on it then put the cover back on so the battery doesn't fall out during the process...now on to the wiping first off wipe data factory reset then wipe cache then go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache then go to mounts and storage and format everything data cache system. i mean everything that says format.Now pull the back cover back off and put your sd card back in and put the cover back on make sure the phone stays on during this whole process and flash your rom of choice..and sometimes while in recovery the power button becomes the back button and the home key becomes the selection key so dont freak out if this happens ....hope this help let me know
    11-17-2011 09:32 PM
    I am keeping your post for future reference. I did not format all you could format but I did something and got into more trouble. The opening screen with the name of phone appeared and just stayed there. I could boot in recovery but no matter what I did the same thing happened when I did a reboot.

I took it to the local Sprint store. They spent 20 minutes with it before they gave me a new phone.

Whew!
    11-17-2011 09:49 PM
    well thats one way to fix the problem lol....but they gave u a new one....did it have the yellow triangle?

well anyways don't let that discourage you i have a lot of droid phone htc samsung moto ect... and i haven't ever completely bricked one.. believe it or not its rather hard to do so... Ive even flashed roms over roms just to see if it would brick kinda of dumb i know.... but my little experiments have made me more confident when it comes to flashing roms kernels ect....and when it comes to any galaxy you still have odin if all else fails which is a lot easier to use then it sounds...also there's usb jigs that force you into download mode when the phone get really bad...so im just putting these out there so u can have some reference and do some research on it if you plan on flashing once again
    11-18-2011 10:32 AM
    well thats one way to fix the problem lol....but they gave u a new one....did it have the yellow triangle?

I rooted the new one - it has the yellow triangle. What does that mean anyway? Just that it is rooted?

The old phone (the one I returned) had a yellow triangle till it got to the last stage - the one it was in when I returned it - no yellow triangle then.
    11-18-2011 10:42 AM
    I rooted the new one - it has the yellow triangle. What does that mean anyway? Just that it is rooted?

The old phone (the one I returned) had a yellow triangle till it got to the last stage - the one it was in when I returned it - no yellow triangle then.
    The yellow triangle just means that there its a non official recovery not the official stock recovery.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    11-18-2011 11:15 AM
    it nothing bad it has to do with the kernel and your phone but it wont do any harm theres a way to get rid of it its pretty easy... but if you flash another kernel its just gonna come back ....im assuming your pretty new to the whole flashing thing put its pretty easy,,,u just have to make sure that u always read and understand everything that developers say when your going to flash one of there roms or themes ,,for the most part they will tell you if its stable or not and what kinds of kernels are compatable with that rom so anyways if need any help just let me know..or you can email me its my user name at gmail cause im not always on here
    11-18-2011 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD