I've been holding off on running a custom ROM in my phone until now. After looking around, I can't decide which one I should go with. I'm hoping to gather some input form users who have experience with ROMs on the E4GT. Thanks!
    11-29-2011 07:30 PM
    I've only run two, viperROM and Calkulin's, which I'm running now. Both are great in their own ways. I found viperROM to be a bit more stable, and Calkulin's to be better on battery use due to the built in undervolting. You could achieve the same undervolting with viperROM using his script but I never got around to tinkering with it. Both are lightning fast. I'm running Calkulin right now because it has better theme support and viperboy has been busy with the ICS port so he hasn't updated his ROM in a month.

Blazer ROM also looks good but I haven't tried it, and ACS has their own ROM out but it's a bit too themed up for my taste.

Development is undergoing a bit of a transition right now though, as a new base ROM, kernel and modem was just leaked last night. It may be best to wait on flashing a new ROM until the current ones are updated off the new base.
    11-29-2011 08:23 PM
    Best bet is to root, make a nandroid backup and then flash away. Everyone's opinion is going to be different.
    11-29-2011 09:05 PM
    @munnarg, I am rooted but I have yet to do a nandroid backup. I have to be honest, I am not familiar with nandroid. Where/how should I go about this? I have flashed ROMs many times with my Galaxy Fascinate back when I had it but I never did backups. I'm thinking it's best I do it this time around.

@JayWill72, thanks for the info. You confirmed my thoughts about waiting. I kept telling myself I should wait based on these latest leaks and I think I will do this. In the meantime, I need to learn this nandroid backup
    11-29-2011 10:00 PM
    qbking77 has videos on how to install clockwork mod, which will allow you to make a android backup.

Epic 4G Touch Android Development - xda-developers
    11-30-2011 09:16 AM
    In my opinion, the Blazer ROM is good. Ever since I flashed it, there's been no LOS. Added the ICS theme looks great.
    11-30-2011 04:24 PM
    In my opinion, the Blazer ROM is good. Ever since I flashed it, there's been no LOS. Added the ICS theme looks great.
    agreed, i've been running Blazer Rom 1.2 and its my daily driver, great battery, fast
    11-30-2011 04:53 PM
    Blazer kept having random reboots other than that its ok.

Is there a way to flash TSM settings to any rom?
    11-30-2011 07:22 PM
    ViperRom 2.2 with the LoS Checker 2.1 zip. I tried the newer 3.01 LOS zip, but I'm having better luck with the 2.1 LoS Checker zip. Don't know why,bu t I've actually witnessed my device loose signal & then watched it reset/regain a full signal within about 30-40 seconds. So on hoping that's the KiD checker at work. However thats the only single LoS ive ever had,or noticed, since running ViperRom 2.2 with the 2.1 LoS Checker zip installed. I'm also currently using SPB Mobile Shell 3D & various other widget apps just to give the device some style. I've also tweaked a few settings & get an avg benchmark of 3700-3900 score ,&I never OC.I am using V6supercharger & 3G Turbocharger,along with a few more goodies
    12-01-2011 12:13 AM
    Calk's 1.5a ROM with the ICS 1.6 theme and Rogue 1.1 kernel has been AMAZING for me. Ever since this ROM and kernel, not had one LOS in the 10 days I have been on this setup, before running just rooted stock I has 4 LOS's in a week.

The battery life is crazy good, phone is warp speed fast, and the ICS theme plus few other misc transparent widgets I am running, and I am in love

Calk is known as one of the top developers for Sprint Android phones, his work is near perfection.

12-01-2011 09:01 PM
    StrongSteves odexed ROM is very good!! Can be found on XDA
    12-03-2011 09:59 PM
    New just released today
    [ROM][EK02 2.3.6] UnNamed v1.0.0 - (12/11/2011) - A clean, feature rich daily driver - xda-developers

I'm really digging this rom , Its smooth & clean ics animations rock wont be going back to Calks build anytime soon
    12-11-2011 06:50 PM
    I am running V2.0 of BlazerROM - very fast - GREAT battery life. No issues...

I will say I have had a better experience with BlazerRom than Calk's ROM.
    12-12-2011 06:00 PM
    Hey guys, I just got the epic 4g touch as my first smart phone and i'd like some advice. I want to root it and i'm seeing all of these roms and I just don't know which one to go with. Any recommendations?
    12-14-2011 12:05 AM
    I have been running through a lot of ROMs today just to try them out. So far I've done Calkulins2.0.1A Which I like a lot when using the ICS theme. I also tried UnNamed which I thought was a little too close to stock, although I did like some of the mods. I am about to flash the Blazer ROM, so I'll let you know how I like it tomorrow!
    12-14-2011 03:09 AM
    Please do, i'm just trying to figure this out and it seems like Calkulin's might be the one go to go.
    12-14-2011 03:16 AM
    Yeah, I ran Blazer for a bit this morning, but flashed back to this Calkulin ROM. I miss ICS from when I was on my Nexus S, but this is a decent substitute. For now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    12-14-2011 05:47 PM
    Yeah, I ran Blazer for a bit this morning, but flashed back to this Calkulin ROM. I miss ICS from when I was on my Nexus S, but this is a decent substitute. For now.

Yeah I ran Calkulin's ROM for awhile, and have been on Blazer for the past couple of days. Both are excellent. I haven't decided which I like better yet. It may be a coin flip. Although I'm probably just buying time until the unofficial CM7 port is more polished. I'll likely be running Blazer for awhile though.

btw, Calkulin relased v2.5 today which is on the leaked EL13 base. He has download links within the thread but hasn't updated the OP yet.
    12-14-2011 06:43 PM
    BlazerROM has a beta with EL13 now. I'm holding off until there is some more testing but results are looking good so far.

Having used both Calk and Blazer - it comes down to personal preference. They both are excellent ROMs. In both cases I'm switching to GoLauncherEX from either TW or LauncherPro. So once I've switched the launcher that seems to be driving my user experience more than anything.
    12-15-2011 07:49 AM
    New just released today
    [ROM][EK02 2.3.6] UnNamed v1.0.0 - (12/11/2011) - A clean, feature rich daily driver - xda-developers

I'm really digging this rom , Its smooth & clean ics animations rock wont be going back to Calks build anytime soon
    This this the only ROM that has worked flawlessly for me, and I've flashed maybe three other roms before this. I happy with it. I don't go checking back for updates often because it works perfect.

01-19-2012 03:40 PM
    This this the only ROM that has worked flawlessly for me, and I've flashed maybe three other roms before this. I happy with it. I don't go checking back for updates often because it works perfect.

Not that an update is needed for now, but we probably won't see any new versions of UnNamed. The dev moved to a Windows Phone about a month ago. It's a bit saddening as it really is an excellent ROM.

01-19-2012 04:48 PM
    Cyanogenmod 7.2 (Alpha). Everything is now working except 4g.
    01-19-2012 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD