Noob needs help... Rooted but don't know what to do next..

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I used sfhub's process and rooted my phone. I don't understand how to flash a ROM, however, I tried using ROM Manager to backup my stock ROM, but the little android guy with an exclamation mark in a triangle popped up so I had to pull the battery and go through the recovery screen to reboot. My phone is fine now, but I still want to flash a ROM so I can have some overclocking on my phone. Or do I not need a custom ROM to do that? Sorry, I'm new to all of this, I probably sound like an idiot right now... BTW, I can't download WiFi tethering app from the appstore; how am I supposed to utilize the unlocked tethering from rooting? Thanks for all the help

To dtm_stretch : i dont have 5 posts so i can't reply to your PM, so if you read this, then yea haha..
dtm_stretch said:
Did you get it figured out? The thread was closed so I couldn't reply there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

No, I'm scared to try again after i got the exclamation mark last time, I don't wanna brick my phone lol..
It would be really helpful if you could give some pointers, sorry, I know it's a hassle, but everything I findseems to be for Odin or is something outdated..

Thanks a ton for the PM by the way.

Last edited:

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
PLEASE HELP. I flashed calkulin's rom onto my phone, and it was working fine. But then I used MyBackup to try to restore all my files, and halfway through, it rebooted my phone for some reason. Now my screen just shows the lock screen for about 5 seconds and then goes blank and does the same thing over and over! I tried to boot in recovery mode but it doesn't work, it boots like normal and then gets locked up into the lock screen again... Please dont tell me I bricked my phone somehow... the flashing and everything worked fine, it wasn't until i tried to restore my files with MyBackup

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay... So I fixed my problem... -__-
Anyways... How come I cannot overclock my phone? I have Calkulin's ROM and SetCPU, I looked up the kernel that came with Calkulin's ROM (Rogue), and it says it supports OC? So why can't I.. Please and thank you.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Okay... So I fixed my problem... -__-
Anyways... How come I cannot overclock my phone? I have Calkulin's ROM and SetCPU, I looked up the kernel that came with Calkulin's ROM (Rogue), and it says it supports OC? So why can't I.. Please and thank you.

First things first I really apologize for sending you the PM and not checking your post count, then taking forever to reply to your thread, I am really sorry!!

Anyways I am glad you have everything figured out. So onto the overclocking, you can use the app "setCPU" to control the overclocking, the app costs money on the android market but if you are a member of the XDA community then you can download the app for free, just sign up. Here is the link for the app SetCPU for Root Users [2.2.4] Undervolting and more 07/07/2011 - xda-developers

just download the latest version 2.24 and put it on your sdcard and make sure in settings>applications> unknown sources is checked. Then go back to the sd card select it and install it.

Just some advice, be very careful. Do not set anything to set on boot until you know for sure it is stable. I would be careful doing anything above 1.5ghz because not every phone can handle it. I personally don't even bother overclocking because the phone can handle anything stock.

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Haha, yea I got it figured out I think. The kernel that came with Calkulin's ROM was pretty much a rooted stock one i think? So I flashed Rogue 1.3 Desperaldo, and I can overclock now. And yea haha I bumped into that problem of unstable clock speeds X___X If I uncheck "Set on Boot" then when does the phone start to match the CPU speed indicated, when you launch setCPU?

And don't worry man, haha it's not like you're obligated to help me, and I know you guys get these kind of questions all day, everyday, it's totally understandable. Thanks again.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
When you uncheck set on boot, it just means that every time your phone restarts you will have to reset the overclock/underclock settings instead of leaving it checked and those settings will be set automatically. Which you can see if you set it to an unstable setting then you might have some real problems getting your phone stable again.

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have a new problem now. Even with stock processor speeds, my phone keeps rebooting when I turn on profiles. All I have for profiles is 200-500 for screen off, and this was fine for me in the last kernel, why am I having this problem now? And setCPU keeps setting my default scaling as conservative rather than ondemand now 0.o sorry for incessant barrage of questions..

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have a new problem now. Even with stock processor speeds, my phone keeps rebooting when I turn on profiles. All I have for profiles is 200-500 for screen off, and this was fine for me in the last kernel, why am I having this problem now? And setCPU keeps setting my default scaling as conservative rather than ondemand now 0.o sorry for incessant barrage of questions..

Which kernel are you using? It might not be set up to handle profiles. You could also try a different cpu manager instead of setcpu, like AnTuTu or Voltage control. Both are on the android Market for free.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm using rogue 1.3 desperado, it's fine now, only had a freeze this morning when I tried to turn on my phone, don't know, maybe my phone just needed some time to get used to all the new tweaks