New to android, need help with rooting please

Mike863

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I apologize in advance for any dumbness on my part, but I'm not exactly the best with computers. Well I got the E4GT this past weekend and would like to root it...so that's what I was trying to do last night but ran into a snag. I have Samsung Kies installed and I am using Odin3v1.85. I have everything set up and ready to go but Kies constantly says "connecting" and won't get past that step. Also, my computer will recognize my phone as long the phone is turned on, but when I am in Odin/download mode then my computer will no longer recognize it...says something like "device not found" or something along those lines. Hopefully one of you geniuses can help out, it'd be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi there. Okay, first off, since you state you're "not very good with computers" I have to ask ... why do you want to root your phone? These phones are like little computers, and rooting them as well as taking advantage of many other things that root offers means digging deeper into the operating system than the manufacturer and carrier wants you to. They don't want you to partially because they want to minimize returns and service calls from people who are "not very good with computers".

I'm not meaning to sound condescending ... not in the slightest. I just want to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, and make sure you think about the reasons you want to root your device. Rooting this phone is rather easy, but the access it offers can open you up for potential headaches down
the road. With that said ...

For rooting, forget about Odin for now. It's not necessary to root your phone anymore. Follow the steps in this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...016-new-root-method-sfhub-automated-root.html and the linked XDA thread. It's by far the best and safest way to root this phone now.

Good luck!