Stock ROM Users stand up!

algee650

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey all

Any stock ROM users happy with their phone as is?

I just switched over from my Palm Pre of over 2yrs. A phone that needed to be overclocked to work normally (stock was 500mhz...overclocked it to 1ghz), but that was the extent of my "rooting" - upgrading kernel (correct lingo?)

I've been banging away on this phone for the last 3 days and find the performance top notch. What are some of the reasons to flash with a new ROM other than performance bump?

Thanks
Al

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Why I root and what the custom ROM I'm running brings to the table ...

Remove system apps that take space and often run battery draining services in the background when I don't even use them
Backup, freeze and restore apps easily
Make a complete backup image of my system via custom recovery
Underclock and/or undervolt the CPU for improved battery performance
Complete removal of Carrier IQ (current EL13 ROM leak)
Zipaligned on bootup (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-zipalign-in-android-and-how-it-works-complete-guide/)
Camera works with less than 15% battery life AND during calls
Disabled camera shutter sound
No increasing ringtone on incoming calls (big pet peeve of mine)
AdBlocking
Data indicator shows true 1x/3G connection
Change bootanimation and sound, as well as ability to theme system apps

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
  • Deeper UI enhancements
  • Battery optimization
  • Wifi/Hotspot tethering
  • App+Data backup/restore
  • Hacks/Tweaks to improve the phone experience

This is just a small list of things that can be done with rooting. Everyone probably has a different reason as to why they root a device. Out of the box the device is good. however, there are many reasons why a person would want to root, even if remaining on the stock ROM and Kernel.

To see what you can really do with a rooted device you might want to head into the Root/Hack forum and see what the various ROMs have to offer.

algee650

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Why I root and what the custom ROM I'm running brings to the table ...

Remove system apps that take space and often run battery draining services in the background when I don't even use them
Backup, freeze and restore apps easily
Make a complete backup image of my system via custom recovery
Underclock and/or undervolt the CPU for improved battery performance
Complete removal of Carrier IQ (current EL13 ROM leak)
Zipaligned on bootup (What Is Zipalign In Android And How To Make Apps Zipaligned)
Camera works with less than 15% battery life AND during calls
Disabled camera shutter sound
No increasing ringtone on incoming calls (big pet peeve of mine)
AdBlocking
Data indicator shows true 1x/3G connection
Change bootanimation and sound, as well as ability to theme system apps

Good stuff to know!

Underclock and/or undervolt the CPU for improved battery performance - Wow, it's pretty good already.
Disabling camera shutter sound - What is up with that? You need to root your phone to disable it?
Camera works with less than 15% battery life AND during calls - Anything to improve battery is a good thing.

What ROM are you using? Can you brick your phone doing this?

Thank you!!

algee650

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
  • Deeper UI enhancements
  • Battery optimization
  • Wifi/Hotspot tethering
  • App+Data backup/restore
  • Hacks/Tweaks to improve the phone experience

This is just a small list of things that can be done with rooting. Everyone probably has a different reason as to why they root a device. Out of the box the device is good. however, there are many reasons why a person would want to root, even if remaining on the stock ROM and Kernel.

To see what you can really do with a rooted device you might want to head into the Root/Hack forum and see what the various ROMs have to offer.

Wifi/Hotspot tethering is what I'm talking about!! Good to know that I could root my phone and leave the stock ROM and Kernel.

Say for just wifi tethering and battery optimization, what (stable) ROM would you recommend?

Thank you!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an Epic 4G Touch yet -- it should arrive this afternoon. Though, I have been researching and there are a few good looking ROMs on XDA right now. When I get setup and start flashing I'll be sure to post back what I enjoy.

I'll be using Blazer ROM and Calkulin's ROM first. There are many others that I want to try as well.

Here is a Stock ROM for download. Please verify before you attempt to flash that its compatible with your modem/kernal. I'm coming from an HTC Hero and there is a big learning curve for me right now. The Hero doesn't have Modems to worry about. Specifically, compatibility issues between different modems, kernels and ROMs.

I look forward to being a part of this community and learning from it, as I learned much from the Hero Community.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 4th custom ROM now. viperROM > Calkulin's > Blazer > UnNamed. Of those, I've found my latest, UnNamed, to be the smoothest, most bug/issue free custom ROM I've run so far. No weird random hot reboots. No bootloops when I update my Launcher and forget to set it as default again before a reboot. Nothing but goodness. All of these are great ROMs in their own rights, but something about UnNamed simply works for me. It's the ROM I'd most recommend right now.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is a Stock ROM for download. Please verify before you attempt to flash that its compatible with your modem/kernal. I'm coming from an HTC Hero and there is a big learning curve for me right now. The Hero doesn't have Modems to worry about. Specifically, compatibility issues between different modems, kernels and ROMs.

I look forward to being a part of this community and learning from it, as I learned much from the Hero Community.

Welcome to the E4GT, and the development side of things. You'll find the ROM, kernel and modem versions on this phone are fairly interchangeable ... especially the modem. For example, for awhile I was running a EK02 base custom kernel with a EL13 base ROM, and it ran just fine. In fact, many people are running this kernel (Desperado from Team Rogue) with their EL13 ROMs.

Also, you can really use any modem version with any ROM/kernel version combination. I tend to like everything on my system to be the same build version, but it isn't necessary.

Reactions: srkmagnus

algee650

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an Epic 4G Touch yet -- it should arrive this afternoon. Though, I have been researching and there are a few good looking ROMs on XDA right now. When I get setup and start flashing I'll be sure to post back what I enjoy.

I'll be using Blazer ROM and Calkulin's ROM first. There are many others that I want to try as well.

Thanks!! I'm pretty green with this stuff and kind of scared to F up my phone - although last night I watched a number of videos and understand what the process is made it seem pretty straight forward.

And welcome to the community!! I'm a noob too...joined yesterday :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the E4GT, and the development side of things. You'll find the ROM, kernel and modem versions on this phone are fairly interchangeable ... especially the modem. For example, for awhile I was running a EK02 base custom kernel with a EL13 base ROM, and it ran just fine. In fact, many people are running this kernel (Desperado from Team Rogue) with their EL13 ROMs.

Also, you can really use any modem version with any ROM/kernel version combination. I tend to like everything on my system to be the same build version, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks for the warm welcome and explanation :). I can't wait to get the device (hurry up UPS delivery) and start diving in. I was always worried about going with a Samsung device because of the lack of OEM updates. But it looks like the community has great support for the device and I'm not so worried about using this phone for the next two-years or so until I'm available to upgrade again.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome and explanation :). I can't wait to get the device (hurry up UPS delivery) and start diving in. I was always worried about going with a Samsung device because of the lack of OEM updates. But it looks like the community has great support for the device and I'm not so worried about using this phone for the next two-years or so until I'm available to upgrade again.

Yeah development has been pretty good. We have alpha ports of CM7 and Miui (hey it's a start), and 5 or 6 ROM options built from the Samsung stock ROM. Theme support has been pretty good as well. But official AOSP support will probably always be hindered by the fact that this is a CDMA WiMax phone.

Also, Samsung has been pretty good with updates on this phone so far. We've already had one official OTA (EK02) and now two leaked bases since then with EL13 and EL26 (EL26 just leaked today). EL13 completely removed Carrier IQ from the system, probably at the request of Sprint. But yeah, it is Samsung we're talking about here. The recent drama surrounding ICS on the OG Galaxy S line tells the whole story pretty well.

damessengr33

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Anyone know of a good reference to flashing ROM? I have already rooted my S2 Epic Touch 4G and although I have rooted other phones I have had in the past I will admit I am a noob when it comes to flashing to a custom ROM.

I am really wanting to get the full potential of my phone along with a nice GUI but I really dont want to end up bricking my phone(if it is possible).

I rooted using sfhub's auto root method and also installed clockworkmod 5.0, WIFI-tether as well. everything seems to be functional with no issues but I am trying to figure out which would be the best ROM to flash with and how to do it?

any ideas?

I am looking forward to learning new stuff here as I am new to the forum so thanks to anyone and everyone! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7