How to Root/Flash

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you use Option C of the Auto Root package, you can install CWM. CWM will make an image of your current setup (except for the modem). It is best if you just want to take a snapshot of your system.

For individual app backups when you can pick and choose what to restore, I prefer Titanium backup.

I usually don't backup system data. If I do, I'm careful not to restore them after version upgrades and system data often is not portable across versions and can cause strange issues.

So you are saying, I should have picked option C not option A when setting the phone for root access.

I came back on today to ask 3 or 4 questions!

1) If I want to set my phone back to factory settings, I would need to have a 'stock ROM' available on my external sd card.

How can I make that stock ROM? Or do I just download it?

2) If I want to put my phone back to factory defaults, I don't do that with the Titanium Backup file, instead I use a copy of the stock ROM?

3) Then after putting back the stock ROM, then I can use Titanium backup file, so I can get all apps and personal settings back?

4) Is there a way to duel boot, this way I can install a custom ROM, try it out and then to be safe until I understand everything boot into the OEM ROM, and have all my settings there and run confident while running with the stock ROM, until I want to reboot and switch to studying and playing with one of the custom roms?

I want to be able to take my phone to Sprint if I have a hardware issue and not let them see that I've played with rooting or using custom roms.

I downloaded and purchased ROM Manger, which installed 'Clockwork' whatever that is?

It said it would do a backup of the current ROM, but did not work.

I also downloaded and purchased Busybox Pro which I installed.

I'm not sure what that does as well, but noticed that Titanium Backup Pro uses Busybox (at first it was set to use it's own custom version). When I installed the Pro version, I forced Titanium Pro to use the version I installed since it was a newer version.

I have just asked a few important questions coming from WebOS, as I had stated in previous messages. Which all of us a WebOS converts, probably are trying to get a grip on to understanding the whole process as compared to WebOS, which as previously stated, dead simple. I think we are all looking for that simplicity. Most of us are not Linux or UNIX priestest!

Although, I have had a few a UNIX classes in my day. And I'm pretty tech savvy, but feel like such a Newbie here!

I think I'm looking for a reason to be using all the tools in a simplified way.

I think I just want to know what each step or process is doing and why.

Will watching the video that someone posted in a previous message in this thread explain all of this?

Thanks.

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
So you are saying, I should have picked option C not option A when setting the phone for root access.

I did exactly what the video about showed; since I had the same build as he does; option A to get the root then option C to get CWM installed (since this requires the root do to first)

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just spent the time watching the videos that were recommend in this thread about how to root.

But I also watched installing Clockwork mod.

It's was interesting because I had stated that I installed Clockwork already, however I install the app from the market place not from the PC from the app to install root.

I think that is why I'm missing some stuff.

I'm going to install the purchased version of Clockwork and follow the example shown in the video.

I think that will allow me to get that backup of the stock ROM that I want.

Am I right?

So why would I use the Clockwork Pro from the market is it only to support the developer?

Thanks again!

Rob

PS I now recommend that a Newbies watch those 2 video first before attempting anything, especially us WebOS converts!

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
if anyone finds a video on how to do the flashing and ROM installation process; please post it and I would also do this quicker if I had the stock ROM as a fail safe

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
if anyone finds a video on how to do the flashing and ROM installation process; please post it and I would also do this quicker if I had the stock ROM as a fail safe
Everything you asked for is in the XDA thread. I'll post it here for your convenience:

ODIN Factory/Full Restores [EG30 / EK02 / EL13 / EL26]

Videos by qbking77 [Install Root / Install CWM]

Reactions: RawisTheGameHhH

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
great thanks; i'll use that for my stock rom; how about to install a new rom and stuff cause Blazer's instructions don't make sense to me; see first post
Most ROMs, you just boot into CWM and install the update.zip package that the ROM developer provided.

If you have a specific question point me at the thread (ie provide the link) and tell mw what isn't clear.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm saying after choosing Option A, you were rooted. Then you could have chosen Option C (which has a prerequisite of being rooted) to install kernel+CWM for the OS version you have installed.

1) If I want to set my phone back to factory settings, I would need to have a 'stock ROM' available on my external sd card.

How can I make that stock ROM? Or do I just download it?
ODIN Factory/Full Restore [EG30 / EK02 / EL13 / EL26]

2) If I want to put my phone back to factory defaults, I don't do that with the Titanium Backup file, instead I use a copy of the stock ROM?
Titanium is an application-level backup of your phone. It isn't the best tool for getting you back to factory defaults.

CWM is a partition-level image of your system. It is great to use to take a snapshot of your system, but not so great to restore individual apps.

For factory restores, use the ODIN packages I provided above. They will get you to the factory software for all cases.

3) Then after putting back the stock ROM, then I can use Titanium backup file, so I can get all apps and personal settings back?
Yes, that is a reasonable sequence. In Titanium, I suggest you only restore "system" data if have restored to the same OS version as when you backed up. The "user" data can be restored on any OS version.

4) Is there a way to duel boot, this way I can install a custom ROM, try it out and then to be safe until I understand everything boot into the OEM ROM, and have all my settings there and run confident while running with the stock ROM, until I want to reboot and switch to studying and playing with one of the custom roms?
The best way to experiment is to make a CWM/Nandroid backup of your system before installing a custom ROM. This will give you an exact image snapshot of your system you can restore to quickly. The only thing it won't backup is the modem, but you can flash those in CWM or just not worry about it as you can mix/match modems. (If you flash the ODIN Factory Restores above, they will restore modems, just the CWM backup doesn't backup/restore modems)

I want to be able to take my phone to Sprint if I have a hardware issue and not let them see that I've played with rooting or using custom roms.
I don't know what instructions you followed before. If you flash unsigned kernels in ODIN, it will increase a flash count and trigger a yellow triangle. If you ODIN flash the factory restores, it will get rid of the yellow triangle, but the flash count will remain. The only way to reset the flash count is to use a USB jig. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably haven't triggered any of these, so don't worry about it. All the threads I authored will not trigger the yellow triangle, nor will they increment the flash count.

Now whether Sprint actually cares about those things is a different question.

I downloaded and purchased ROM Manger, which installed 'Clockwork' whatever that is?

It said it would do a backup of the current ROM, but did not work.

I also downloaded and purchased Busybox Pro which I installed.

I'm not sure what that does as well, but noticed that Titanium Backup Pro uses Busybox (at first it was set to use it's own custom version). When I installed the Pro version, I forced Titanium Pro to use the version I installed since it was a newer version.
I wouldn't use ROM manager with this phone. It'll only confuse you.

Everything you need is provided, just read the XDA post.

Reactions: rlanza1054

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I re-read what you posted earlier.

So you are actually asking how to flash a ROM.

I'm sure qbking77 has a video somewhere, but I don't have the time to dig it up right now.

Here is a written summary:

First, create a CWM/nandroid image of your existing setup as failsafe
Assuming you have done Option A (install root) and Option C (install CWM)

Boot into CWM:
- disconnect USB
- power down phone
- wait until all lights are off
- simultaneously press and hold [Power]+[VolUp] buttons until CWM recovery menu shows up
- choose the option to backup to internal SD card (or external if you have one)
- this will take a snapshot image of your system as it currently exists which you can go back to if things get messed up

To install ROMs you would do the same procedure, except before going to CWM, you would place the zip file the ROM developer provided to you on your internal or external SD card, and after booting into CWM, instead of choosing "backup" you would choose "install .zip from sdcard" or however it is worded, then choose internal or external sd card, then navigate to the zip file and select it.

Keep in mind, the buttons for navigating the menus in CWM are:
[Power] - this is the back button
[Home] - this is the select button
[Vol+/-] - these traverse the menus up/down

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm saying after choosing Option A, you were rooted. Then you could have chosen Option C (which has a prerequisite of being rooted) to install kernel+CWM for the OS version you have installed.

ODIN Factory/Full Restore [EG30 / EK02 / EL13 / EL26]

Hi all again,

So this morning, I did the option C and now see what you are all talking about. I just ran my ROM backup from the boot menu.

I can't tell you how helpful those videos were!

Anyone reading this, please just watch the videos they are the best and put together in such a easy to understand manner. (Especially for those that hate to read manuals, I do read the manuals but needed some visual help this time!)

As I said, I just ran my backup, I selected the option just to backup, but I'm going to re-run the backup using the option to backup to internal sd card.

One thing that happened that I thought was unusual (but I'm not concerned, or should I be?), towards the end of the backup an error popped up 'No SD-EXT found. Skipping backup of Sd-ext.'?

I am assuming it was trying to backup the 'external_sd' card? If so, I'm not sure why it said I don't have one. I do have an external_sd card installed (a 32gb one, which works perfectly).

But I have a feeling it might mean something else.

As I stated, I am going to go slow in this process, so I fully understand what I am doing, so I don't end up with a bricked phone.

So far, with all of your intensive help, I am getting the best lessons possible and I can say how grateful I am to everyone. (Let's face it, I dropped into this thread, when you were helping someone else to start with!).

I bookmarked the ODIN stock ROM, and looked over the instructions real fast (will need to go back and re-read carefully before usage) and it looks like that page will get anyone out of real trouble. So please bookmark that page that was supplied by sfhub in his reply to my question just a few messages back.

But here it is: [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EK02_CL704398 (EK02 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers

This link (above) is for the EK02 ROM, most Sprint Samsung SPH-D710 have this one by default.

Also to make it easier for anyone reading this message and others, here a some links to the videos that these help people have provided me:

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch - Latest - YouTube

The above you tube video is by qbking77, he has put out a variety of helpful videos. The above video is 'How to Root your Samsung SPH-D710 Sprint.

How to Install Clockworkmod on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - Latest - YouTube

The above link is from qbking77 as well, and this one is how to install Clockworkmod.

He does have others great videos!

Rob

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow, sorry for this but I have a fast question:

I did the ROM backup, and I want to copy that backup off the phone to my pc, but I don't know what folder/directory it was placed into?

I see a folder labeled 'clockworkmod' and inside that I see other folder labeled 'backup', is that where the backup went?

There are several files but there is one file that makes me think this is the correct place, it's called boot.img!

Should I assume that this is the backup folder?

Thanks!

Rob

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow, sorry for this but I have a fast question:

I did the ROM backup, and I want to copy that backup off the phone to my pc, but I don't know what folder/directory it was placed into?

I see a folder labeled 'clockworkmod' and inside that I see other folder labeled 'backup', is that where the backup went?

There are several files but there is one file that makes me think this is the correct place, it's called boot.img!

Should I assume that this is the backup folder?

Thanks!

Rob
Yes, that is it. You can rename the folder to something more descriptive. Don't use spaces in the directory name. Also don't get mixed up between internal and external sd. You may have made backups to each.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that will work for any ROM. Make sure you choose the correct sdcard (internal or external).

Also once you flash format all, you no longer have a ROM, so make sure you immediately flash a ROM afterwards.

whats the difference between the 2 (internal and external)?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49