01-12-2012 04:28 PM
64 123
tools
    Hey guys; I am hoping someone out there has some patience for a noob to rooting/flashing. I would like to use the Blazer ROM [ROM]Blazer Rom[12/21/11][v3.2][Bugged Out] - xda-developers on my phone; however I have no idea what I am doing. I see the install directions but I have no idea what they mean:

Nandroid
    Flash Blazer 2.0
    Flash this modified zip.
    Flash Blazer - Don't wipe data.

Any help for noobs?
    12-28-2011 02:33 PM
    Hey guys; I am hoping someone out there has some patience for a noob to rooting/flashing. I would like to use the Blazer ROM [ROM]Blazer Rom[12/21/11][v3.2][Bugged Out] - xda-developers on my phone; however I have no idea what I am doing. I see the install directions but I have no idea what they mean:

Nandroid
    Flash Blazer 2.0
    Flash this modified zip.
    Flash Blazer - Don't wipe data.

Any help for noobs?
    First things first. Is your phone rooted?
    12-28-2011 02:40 PM
    First things first. Is your phone rooted?
    I am not; sorry. I am prepared to get flamed but hopefully I will learn the tricks of the trade for my future use.
    12-28-2011 02:42 PM
    I am not; sorry. I am prepared to get flamed but hopefully I will learn the tricks of the trade for my future use.
    No worries no flaming here.
    You need to download this file:e4gtauto-sfx.exe
    1) Prerequisites Checklist
    USB Debugging is ENABLED - [Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging]
    USB Storage Mode is OFF - [Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected" - should be off by default - pic]
    Samsung Drivers [http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...3251052473515] are INSTALLED
    Phone is connected to USB port and recognized

Once all the criteria has been met, run the .exe file you downloaded and you have root.
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    12-28-2011 02:46 PM
    USB Debugging is ENABLED - [Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging]
    USB Storage Mode is OFF - [Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected" - should be off by default - pic]
    Samsung [USB/Android drivers] are INSTALLED

Once all the criteria has been met, run the .exe file you downloaded and you have root.
    Thanks; I will give that a try; will this wipe my phone? If so I will take note of my apps that I have installed first.
    12-28-2011 02:48 PM
    Thanks; I will give that a try; will this wipe my phone? If so I will take note of my apps that I have installed first.
    It shouldn't, but there is always a chance. Once you get that done let me know and I will walk you throught the rest of it.
    RawisTheGameHhH likes this.
    12-28-2011 02:54 PM
    It shouldn't, but there is always a chance. Once you get that done let me know and I will walk you throught the rest of it.
    will do; wont be for a couple hours or so; god help me
    12-28-2011 02:58 PM
    will do; wont be for a couple hours or so; god help me
    It really not difficult at all just the thought that it could mess up your phone kind of puts a mental block in there. Once you have done it once though it gets addicting trying out new firmware and differnt kernels. It accually ends up being a lot of fun.
    12-28-2011 03:01 PM
    It really not difficult at all just the thought that it could mess up your phone kind of puts a mental block in there. Once you have done it once though it gets addicting trying out new firmware and differnt kernels. It accually ends up being a lot of fun.
    root complete and installed ClockWorkMod as well!
    devgru82 likes this.
    12-28-2011 05:08 PM
    root complete and installed ClockWorkMod as well!
    Awesome. Now you just have to download the ROM you want. Put it on your sdcard. Download an app called quickboot from the market. Reboot into recovery through quickboot. Go to backup and restore and make a backup of your system. Wipe Data/Factory reset, then go to mounts and storage and format system. Then back to the main screen and install zip from sdcard and poof! You are done
    12-28-2011 06:35 PM
    Awesome. Now you just have to download the ROM you want. Put it on your sdcard. Download an app called quickboot from the market. Reboot into recovery through quickboot. Go to backup and restore and make a backup of your system. Wipe Data/Factory reset, then go to mounts and storage and format system. Then back to the main screen and install zip from sdcard and poof! You are done
    can you recommend any apps that require a root?
    12-28-2011 06:38 PM
    can you recommend any apps that require a root?
    These are the ones I always have on my phone:
    1. Titanium Backup
    2. Autokiller Memory Optimizer
    3. System Tuner
    4. Adfree Android
    5. XDA
    6. Some kind of Root File Explorer
    12-28-2011 06:41 PM
    Samsung Drivers are INSTALLED

Wow, you've made it finally sound so easy. I just wanted to root my device just so I could run a full backup with Titanium Pro, before I try anything else.

I do have one quick question:

I noticed under the USB debugging setting, the is another option labeled:

'Allow mock locations'!

Since, you did not say to check that off, I assume we don't enable that setting.

However, in what case would you use that setting? What is it for?

Also, should I install 'superuser' from the market, do I need it?

Thanks!

Rob

PS Also coming from WebOS, which was rather easy to modify! So am being very careful with Android, I want to do the great stuff, but I want to understand what I am doing first, so I don't 'brick' my phone, something impossible to do with WebOS. I do love this phone so much! What a change!
    12-28-2011 10:47 PM
    Wow, you've made it finally sound so easy. I just wanted to root my device just so I could run a full backup with Titanium Pro, before I try anything else.

I do have one quick question:

I noticed under the USB debugging setting, the is another option labeled:

'Allow mock locations'!

Since, you did not say to check that off, I assume we don't enable that setting.

However, in what case would you use that setting? What is it for?

Also, should I install 'superuser' from the market, do I need it?

Thanks!

Rob

PS Also coming from WebOS, which was rather easy to modify! So am being very careful with Android, I want to do the great stuff, but I want to understand what I am doing first, so I don't 'brick' my phone, something impossible to do with WebOS. I do love this phone so much! What a change!
    just follow this video; makes it painless;
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    12-29-2011 05:56 AM
    if i install a ROM is all my info/data lost?
    12-29-2011 07:34 AM
    Yes. Just make sure your contacts are backed up to Google and you can get a SMS backup app from the market
    12-29-2011 07:44 AM
    Just to clarify, only your system data is lost. So contacts stored on your phone (if you have any), SMS messages, Call History, all Settings like Wifi and Bluetooth pairings, etc. Anything on your Internal and External SD cards will not be touched. So you don't have to worry about pictures, videos, downloads, music and the like.
    12-29-2011 11:42 AM
    Hi all,

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for making it real easy to root my phone.

The directions were dead simple and it worked perfectly.

I guess I can now learn how to do some interesting stuff, but as I said, I wanted to get a good backup first.

I purchased Titanium Pro & Backup Pro.

I tried to do a full backup of the entire system but don't feel confident that I have a restorable full backup file.

I used Titanium Pro and selected from the 'batch' mode, to do a full backup of all apps and system data.

What that the correct setting to use?

Thanks again!

Rob

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk
    12-29-2011 10:37 PM
    If you use Option C of the Auto Root package, you can install CWM. CWM will make an image of your current setup (except for the modem). It is best if you just want to take a snapshot of your system.

For individual app backups when you can pick and choose what to restore, I prefer Titanium backup.

I usually don't backup system data. If I do, I'm careful not to restore them after version upgrades and system data often is not portable across versions and can cause strange issues.
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    12-29-2011 11:06 PM
    wow thats a lot to digest; i thought rooting was taking a big step; WRONG; maybe i'll try this tomorrow if i find something i like
    12-29-2011 11:07 PM
    If you use Option C of the Auto Root package, you can install CWM. CWM will make an image of your current setup (except for the modem). It is best if you just want to take a snapshot of your system.

For individual app backups when you can pick and choose what to restore, I prefer Titanium backup.

I usually don't backup system data. If I do, I'm careful not to restore them after version upgrades and system data often is not portable across versions and can cause strange issues.
    So you are saying, I should have picked option C not option A when setting the phone for root access.

I came back on today to ask 3 or 4 questions!

1) If I want to set my phone back to factory settings, I would need to have a 'stock ROM' available on my external sd card.

How can I make that stock ROM? Or do I just download it?

2) If I want to put my phone back to factory defaults, I don't do that with the Titanium Backup file, instead I use a copy of the stock ROM?

3) Then after putting back the stock ROM, then I can use Titanium backup file, so I can get all apps and personal settings back?

4) Is there a way to duel boot, this way I can install a custom ROM, try it out and then to be safe until I understand everything boot into the OEM ROM, and have all my settings there and run confident while running with the stock ROM, until I want to reboot and switch to studying and playing with one of the custom roms?

I want to be able to take my phone to Sprint if I have a hardware issue and not let them see that I've played with rooting or using custom roms.

I downloaded and purchased ROM Manger, which installed 'Clockwork' whatever that is?

It said it would do a backup of the current ROM, but did not work.

I also downloaded and purchased Busybox Pro which I installed.

I'm not sure what that does as well, but noticed that Titanium Backup Pro uses Busybox (at first it was set to use it's own custom version). When I installed the Pro version, I forced Titanium Pro to use the version I installed since it was a newer version.

I have just asked a few important questions coming from WebOS, as I had stated in previous messages. Which all of us a WebOS converts, probably are trying to get a grip on to understanding the whole process as compared to WebOS, which as previously stated, dead simple. I think we are all looking for that simplicity. Most of us are not Linux or UNIX priestest!

Although, I have had a few a UNIX classes in my day. And I'm pretty tech savvy, but feel like such a Newbie here!

I think I'm looking for a reason to be using all the tools in a simplified way.

I think I just want to know what each step or process is doing and why.

Will watching the video that someone posted in a previous message in this thread explain all of this?

Thanks.

12-30-2011 10:58 AM
    So you are saying, I should have picked option C not option A when setting the phone for root access.
    I did exactly what the video about showed; since I had the same build as he does; option A to get the root then option C to get CWM installed (since this requires the root do to first)
    12-30-2011 11:21 AM
    Ok, I just spent the time watching the videos that were recommend in this thread about how to root.

But I also watched installing Clockwork mod.

It's was interesting because I had stated that I installed Clockwork already, however I install the app from the market place not from the PC from the app to install root.

I think that is why I'm missing some stuff.

I'm going to install the purchased version of Clockwork and follow the example shown in the video.

I think that will allow me to get that backup of the stock ROM that I want.

Am I right?

So why would I use the Clockwork Pro from the market is it only to support the developer?

Thanks again!

Rob

PS I now recommend that a Newbies watch those 2 video first before attempting anything, especially us WebOS converts!

12-30-2011 11:33 AM
    if anyone finds a video on how to do the flashing and ROM installation process; please post it and I would also do this quicker if I had the stock ROM as a fail safe
    12-30-2011 11:58 AM
    if anyone finds a video on how to do the flashing and ROM installation process; please post it and I would also do this quicker if I had the stock ROM as a fail safe
    Everything you asked for is in the XDA thread. I'll post it here for your convenience:

ODIN Factory/Full Restores [EG30 / EK02 / EL13 / EL26]

Videos by qbking77 [ ]
    12-30-2011 12:32 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD