I finally decided to root my ET4G mainly so that I could sometimes use free wifi hotspot access. Now I find out that none of the apps I tried won't work and I am still wifi-less!!!

What's the deal with this phone?
    havok060 likes this.
    01-01-2012 01:46 PM
    You have to install a custom rom that has the Hotspot hack built in then you can use the sprint Hotspot app for free.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 02:16 PM
    You don't have to download a custom ROM or kernel to get wireless tethering.

Go to the Android Market, & download Open Garden, or Wireless Tether, or Wifi Tether.

Any one of them will get you tethered.

Edit: None of these will get a Honeycomb tablet, or Nintendo DS online tho.

They use"infrastructure" type wifi, & our ET4G gives "ADHOC" type.
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    01-01-2012 05:44 PM
    You don't have to download a custom ROM or kernel to get wireless tethering.

Go to the Android Market, & download Open Garden, or Wireless Tether, or Wifi Tether.

Any one of them will get you tethered.

Edit: None of these will get a Honeycomb tablet, or Nintendo DS online tho.

They use"infrastructure" type wifi, & our ET4G gives "ADHOC" type.
    Great information, never knew that. I have doubts about the market apps just because I imagine if they work carriers would ask Google to pull them.

01-01-2012 06:01 PM
    Great information, never knew that. I have doubts about the market apps just because I imagine if they work carriers would ask Google to pull them.

You can check out these and see which one works.
    Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
    01-01-2012 07:13 PM
    Oh I know these, I use them. I was referring to the ones mentioned earlier.

01-01-2012 10:03 PM
    If you are stock rooted, this is what worked for me. Give it a few minutes (up to 5) to connect (pc, ipod, etc) though. I thought it didn't work at first, but it takes a few minutes. Hope this helps!
    01-03-2012 07:58 AM
    I am stock rooted. I tried 3 or 4 different ones that I saw were suggested in the forums and none of them worked.

I will try some of the other suggestions mentioned.

As far as adhoc and such, I guess I never knew there was a difference. What can I expect to tether to if I do get it working? Maybe that was the problem. I was trying to tether to a tablet (HTC View) although no one else's phone was picking it up either. Hmmm.

I don't really want to get into flashing roms just yet. Hopefully I find something that works.
    01-04-2012 03:51 PM
    Ok, maybe I'm in over my head here...in fact I know I am. I used the root method with the addition of CWM5. Does that mean I'm not stock? This is all very confusing. I did just download wifi tether beta 10 from one of the links and it appears as though it is working but I don't have any device to try it out on. I'm at least not getting any error messages.

What devices should I be able to tether to?
    01-04-2012 04:43 PM
    Ok, maybe I'm in over my head here...in fact I know I am. I used the root method with the addition of CWM5. Does that mean I'm not stock? This is all very confusing. I did just download wifi tether beta 10 from one of the links and it appears as though it is working but I don't have any device to try it out on. I'm at least not getting any error messages.

What devices should I be able to tether to?
    If the only thing you did was root your phone then yes you still are considered stock. As far a devices, you should be able to wifi tether to anything i.e. other phones, ipods, laptops
    01-04-2012 06:47 PM
    If you are stock rooted, this is what worked for me. Give it a few minutes (up to 5) to connect (pc, ipod, etc) though. I thought it didn't work at first, but it takes a few minutes. Hope this helps!
    The zip worked perfect for me... I'm rooted, stock rom & modem with CWM5 recovery.

Sent from my Galaxy10.1 TouchWiz/ADWex equipped Starship.
    01-04-2012 07:04 PM
    WiFi Tether app mentioned is not very good. Not all of the security features are working on DInc. I can try to filter by MAC address to just allow my iPad to use the link, but it still allows any other device wanting access to connect.
    01-08-2012 09:48 AM
    WiFi Tether app mentioned is not very good. Not all of the security features are working on DInc. I can try to filter by MAC address to just allow my iPad to use the link, but it still allows any other device wanting access to connect.
    Agreed - same experience here. Why does the Wifi tether app connect as a ad-hoc connection on the SGS2, but when I used the same app on my old Evo, it connected as an access point w/ WPA2 security?
    01-10-2012 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD