Hi all,

I want to install Swype beta and according to the instructions, I need to uninstall the pre-installed version first.

Sprint has locked down Swype and the instructions said to use Titanium Backup Pro, which I have.

I tried to uninstall it and for some reason it's not working.

When I asked a more general question in our top level forum for our Samsung SPH-D710, about whether it could even be done, the answer was vague and that person said it could be done but I had to delete 3 files. He could not remember the thread he read that on.

Swype themselves do say you have to delete the installed version first. But that are not giving information on people who need to root their phones to get it uninstalled since it came 'per-installed'.

I also tried Rom Toolbox and seem to lead me to think it worked but it did not.

Has anyone does this already and if so, can you guide me please.

I don't want to do too much damage if I make a mistake. I have made all the backups necessary already. Both apps and rom backups.

Thanks!

Rob

PS I also installed SlideIT Keyboard, which is very very nice. I just got addicted to Swype and hear about all the great feature their new version has.
    01-01-2012 10:57 PM
    Try this:

1. uninstall swype using titanium backup
    2. delete libSwypeCore.so from /system/lib using rootexplorer mounted as r/w
    3. reboot in to recovery and clear dalvik cache.
    4. download swype installer and follow directions
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    01-01-2012 11:33 PM
    Try this:

Thank you so much!

I actually was logging on to post a message saying I had success!

However, I did it in an unorthodox way!

I used Titanium Backup Pro to convert the system app to user app!

Doing that gave me the ability to uninstall Swype as you would any other app that users installs.

Because it worked, I'm not sure I need to do those extra files that you told me to do?

So far, it's running perfectly! However, I have read a few threads that users are saying the beta version does some weird things. I haven't encountered anything.

Again, thank you!

Coming from WebOS, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to all this rooting stuff, it was so much different and easier with WebOS. But I'm sure I get it after put more time into it!

Thanks!

Rob
    01-01-2012 11:52 PM
    Thank you so much!

I actually was logging on to post a message saying I had success!

However, I did it in an unorthodox way!

I used Titanium Backup Pro to convert the system app to user app!

Doing that gave me the ability to uninstall Swype as you would any other app that users installs.

Because it worked, I'm not sure I need to do those extra files that you told me to do?

So far, it's running perfectly! However, I have read a few threads that users are saying the beta version does some weird things. I haven't encountered anything.

Again, thank you!

Coming from WebOS, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to all this rooting stuff, it was so much different and easier with WebOS. But I'm sure I get it after put more time into it!

Thanks!

Rob
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. I had some problems with the beta, for example typing one letter words was a pain and the word prediction got worse over time. I switched to swift key x, which is slower but seems to have less mistakes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-02-2012 08:49 AM
    Ok guys, I managed to get Swype beta installed.

So far it's much better than stock with single letter words and the spacing issue with those single letter words.

There is also a keyboard that provides you with cursor keys and the standard cut copy and paste functions.

I had said I had trouble removing stock with Titanium Backup.

I found a easy around that problem, using a feature within Titanium Backup to convert app from a system app to a user app.

With that set, then I was able to do a regular uninstall.

Then install new version of Swype beta using their installer app.

Rob

I have started to use SlideIT, which offers since additional options that Swipe does not.

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk
    01-03-2012 11:33 AM
    Try this:

"Thank you!!! I went back to a Stock-like Rom and I missed my Swype-Beta."

-Jen(jaxx)
    08-08-2012 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD