How To Return To Stock (EK02)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that someone can help me out. Does anyone know of a way to return a rooted E4GT (EK02) back to factory stock? I rooted my buddies last night and just want to make sure we can put it back if he decides he doesn't like root. Thanks in advance for all the help. :)

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: CaMelGuY1337

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: How To Return To Stock

Thank you so much, I have been looking all day for a simple solution like this. Just what I needed. Quick question though, I installed a custom recovery....will option B in the Auto Root package always erase the recovery? Thank again for this. :D

P.S. Can you give me a link to download Odin, I'd like to have it so I can learn how to use it. :)

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: How To Return To Stock

Thank you so much, I have been looking all day for a simple solution like this. Just what I needed. Quick question though, I installed a custom recovery....will option B in the Auto Root package always erase the recovery? Thank again for this. :D
Option B (unroot) undoes Option A (root). If you installed CWM, use Option C to install the stock version of the ROM *before* unrooting.

BTW the link I gave you above is for ODIN to restore EK02.

The auto root package is here:
[ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

P.S. Can you give me a link to download Odin, I'd like to have it so I can learn how to use it. :)
ODIN download link is in the 2nd post of the ODIN thread above.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, but I don't think I could use this. It's for EG30 and I'm unrooting EK02. Your post is very appreciated though. :)

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!
It is for ek02 also, probably only eg30 was out for whichever post you read that makes you think it is for eg30 only.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, but I don't think I could use this. It's for EG30 and I'm unrooting EK02. Your post is very appreciated though. :)

Hey buddy.... You can use that auto root.... Its setup up for a bunch of different versions.

When you hook up your buddies ET4G to your cpu and run the exe. file, once the command window pops up and you choose to root or unroot on the first page, on the next page you'll be given the choice to choose what build version you have.

Sent to you from my SGS2 Class Star Fighter.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey buddy.... You can use that auto root.... Its setup up for a bunch of different versions.

When you hook up your buddies ET4G to your cpu and run the exe. file, once the command window pops up and you choose to root or unroot on the first page, on the next page you'll be given the choice to choose what build version you have.

Sent to you from my SGS2 Class Star Fighter.

Really, that's totally sweet. Thanks for the heads up. :D

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Really, that's totally sweet. Thanks for the heads up. :D

When you choose either to root or unrooted using this method be sure to us the the right firmware version (EK02)... There are a few other versions to choose from. You'll see what I mean when you use it.

Sent from my Galaxy10.1 TouchWiz/ADWex equipped Starship.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Here are some clarifications:

In the Auto Root package, you'll find the options to
Option A - root
Option B - unroot
Option C - install BootImg/zImage

A) "Root" works for EG30/EG31/EK02 (ie all the released versions) If you want root for newer versions EL13/EL26/EL29 the Auto Root package works in conjuction with pre-rooted ODIN One-Click packages referenced in the Auto Root thread

B) "Unroot" works for any version (that was rooted with Auto Root or the ODIN One-Clicks). you don't actually need to specify the version, it is the same for all of them. You also don't need a PC to run the scripts. Using a PC is all automated, but if you can't for some reason, just copy the copy2sd\000root folder to your phone and manually run the unroot script. Instructions are in the 2nd post of the Auto Root thread.

C) If you installed a zImage (to get CWM) then it is your responsibility to install the non-CWM "stock" version before you unroot. You also don't need a PC to run these, just have to copy the files to your phone and run the scripts manually. Instructions in the 2nd post.

Aside from the Auto Root package, there are a set of ODIN One-Click tar packages that will get you to stock by flashing (ie overwriting) modem/kernel/ROM (as opposed to uninstalling root, which is what the Auto Root package does).

For the EG30/EK02 ODIN One-Click packages, you just flash them and you are back to stock.

For the EL13/EL26/EL29 ODIN One-Click packages, after you flash them, you will be completely stock except for rooted ROM. Just run Option B (unroot) and you will be at 100% stock.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Edit - Weird, a post I just made got duped and inserted here after a Gateway timeout message.

Last edited:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, having a few problems. When I use option C then option F in the auto root package it goes through pushing files, but when I look at the about phone section before using option B to unroot it still says on the Starburst ROM. Any suggestions? :)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Also I couldn't get CWM to restore the nandroid I made when I first rooted it.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, having a few problems. When I use option C then option F in the auto root package it goes through pushing files, but when I look at the about phone section before using option B to unroot it still says on the Starburst ROM. Any suggestions? :)

Also I couldn't get CWM to restore the nandroid I made when I first rooted it.

I am a little confused, what is your end goal? If we know this we will be able to help you get to were you need to be. If you are on starburst rom why would you run the autoroot? Shouldn't you already have root?

My suggestion from the information given is just flash the EL29 one-click and select the download that retains user data. This will give you root and stock EL29. From there use odin to flash a kernel with CWM built in (you can use mobile odin if you are confident). Then reboot into CWM and make a back up, then flash what ever you wanted to flash.....although I don't know if that was your intention.

If you want to just return to stock just select the EL29 one-click that resets user data.

Edit: If you just want to go back to stock EK02 without root just flash this Ek02 one-click. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1409634&highlight=ek02

Last edited:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My main goal now is to bring his phone back to the point it was when he bought it from Sprint. He decided he didn't like root, mainly because he didn't use any root features. Thank you guys for everything. :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That thread is exactly what the doctor ordered, thank you so much. Just one more quick question.....if I used the auto root method, can I still use that thread to bring it back to stock?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That thread is exactly what the doctor ordered, thank you so much. Just one more quick question.....if I used the auto root method, can I still use that thread to bring it back to stock?

I really suggest just flashing the EK02 Odin one-click I linked above. That will put his phone back to where he pulled it out of the box. Then he can check for updates and take the EL29 update via OTA if he wants. By the way, all going with EK02 rather than EL29 saves is having to then run the autoroot tool to remove root (the EL29 package is pre-rooted while the EK02 package is not).

Edit - Oops I misunderstood your question. How you rooted originally doesn't matter. Just flash that and you're all set.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I really suggest just flashing the EK02 Odin one-click I linked above. That will put his phone back to where he pulled it out of the box. Then he can check for updates and take the EL29 update via OTA if he wants. By the way, all going with EK02 rather than EL29 saves is having to then run the autoroot tool to remove root (the EL29 package is pre-rooted while the EK02 package is not).

Edit - Oops I misunderstood your question. How you rooted originally doesn't matter. Just flash that and you're all set.

Awesome.....thank all of you so much!!!! I can't believe how easy it is to root and unroot this device. I can only imagine the skill it took to do all that. I know you saidit will bring it back to like when he pulled it out of the box....but just so I don't worry about anything, it removes CWM as well correct? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol