Does anyone know if the new update to EL29 will break root?
    01-25-2012 10:09 AM
    Does anyone know if the new update to EL29 will break root?
    Yes it will if you OTA update. Then you just use autoroot to reroot.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    01-25-2012 10:18 AM
    Yes it will if you OTA update. Then you just use autoroot to reroot.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    so i can just install the update and re-root; thats it?
    01-25-2012 10:19 AM
    So sfhub's autoroot will work?
    01-25-2012 10:55 AM
    So sfhub's autoroot will work?
    It should. If not I'm sure he'll have it updated soon, but I'd go ahead and give it a go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-25-2012 11:02 AM
    should we unroot first?
    01-25-2012 11:02 AM
    Just went and checked, and found this:

You may have heard... the zerglings fought a noble battle against the samdroids and held their own for many battles, but were finally defeated on the EL13 battleground. Starting with EL13 the zergrush exploit is plugged. Do not fear, as the zerglings have enlisted their old ally Odin to fight the next battle for them.

Found that in the one-click odin thread for Rooted EL29. I think this one-click is the way we would need to root. Thread is here:

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted)
    01-25-2012 11:11 AM
    i guess my real question is what happens if i apply the update and i am still rooted while applying the update?
    01-25-2012 11:31 AM
    i guess my real question is what happens if i apply the update and i have still rooted while applying the update?
    If you are rooted, and did not modify ANYTHING in the system (ROM, kernel, modem, recovery .. i.e. didn't install CWM, and any system apps and/or framework, then you DO NOT need to un-root first and you are free to download and install the update. In other words, if all you did was use sfhub's automated root tool to root and did nothing else, then you're fine. If any of the the system components I listed above is different on your phone from the stock EK02 system then you will need to update manually.
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    01-25-2012 11:38 AM
    If you are rooted, and did not modify ANYTHING in the system (ROM, kernel, modem, recovery .. i.e. didn't install CWM, and any system apps and/or framework, then you DO NOT need to un-root first and you are free to download and install the update. In other words, if all you did was use sfhub's automated root tool to root and did nothing else, then you're fine. If any of the the system components I listed above is different on your phone from the stock EK02 system then you will need to update manually.
    I do have cwm and a few rooted apps installed but no roms/kernels/etc
    01-25-2012 11:41 AM
    I do have cwm and a few rooted apps installed but no roms/kernels/etc
    Apps that require root access are fine. It's only if you removed any system Apps that may cause a problem. However, if you want to install the update via OTA, you will need to use sfhub's tool to remove CWM first.

01-25-2012 12:45 PM
    Oh sorry I hadn't realized the EL29 update fixed sfhub's autoroot exploit, so you won't be able to use the tool to re-root as far as I know. You'd have to use Odin and the file and instructions linked earlier in this thread.

01-25-2012 12:58 PM
    can i just do this?

01-25-2012 01:24 PM
    That only updates the radio, not the entire system. You need to use the odin link I posted on the first page of the thread to get the whole update.
    RawisTheGameHhH likes this.
    01-25-2012 01:39 PM
    That only updates the radio, not the entire system. You need to use the odin link I posted on the first page of the thread to get the whole update.
    thanks; i am just copying down all the apps i have since it wipes your system
    01-25-2012 01:40 PM
    if i do the above procedure; will i get the OTA from sprint still?
    01-25-2012 01:54 PM
    thanks; i am just copying down all the apps i have since it wipes your system
    If you use the version that says "preserve user data" you will not lose your applications.

if i do the above procedure; will i get the OTA from sprint still?
    You will not get the OTA because you will be on the most current version.
    01-25-2012 02:05 PM
    but i thought Sprint was adding and removing some things or does this ODIN already have that applied?
    01-25-2012 02:15 PM
    but i thought Sprint was adding and removing some things or does this ODIN already have that applied?
    This Odin will contain that.

01-25-2012 02:19 PM
    This Odin will contain that.

Great; thanks for answering my questions; i will give it a go later tonight!
    01-25-2012 02:19 PM
    did it and worked like a champ; thanks again!
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    01-25-2012 06:24 PM
    Installed the rooted EL29. I was getting battery drain at the rate of 3-4% per hour with little to no useage. Even FC'ing programs had no affect. Reinstalled OTA EK02 and rooted. Back to normal 1-2% battery usage. Will wait for the OTA and hopefully someone will find a way to autoroot OTA EL29.
    01-28-2012 10:44 AM
    Why would you think the EL29 OTA would perform any different? The active files are exactly the same. The only thing I could suggest is generic advice to perform a factory reset if you get strange behavior or unexplained battery drain.

If you really feel your issue would be resolved with the OTA, just backup your stuff and apply the OTA. If it still drains, then the issue for your case is EL29, not how you got EL29.
    elmo and RawisTheGameHhH like this.
    01-28-2012 11:14 AM
    Thanks. I'll look into it some more.
    01-28-2012 11:44 AM
    seems normal for me; i get about 2 days with moderate usage
    01-28-2012 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD