So I took the update this morning when it came because I had read that if you had rooted but were running the stock stuff it would be no problem. Ummmm...... NO!

My phone has been stuck in Clockwork Mod Recovery all day. I am a Tech Noob and don't have any "real" knowledge of what I am doing. Right away I sent a message to my Tech Jedi friend who said I needed to put Odin on it and gave me a link to XDA. Yeah, for a guy like me that means nothing. Thank god he is going to save my *** and try and fix it tonight at his house.

If any of you out there who are rooted and thinking about taking the update from Sprint.... DON'T DO IT!!!

Learn from my mistake. Hopefully my friend can work his tech magic and fix my Precious!

*Typing this from the fetal position*
    02-01-2012 04:20 PM
    So I took the update this morning when it came because I had read that if you had rooted but were running the stock stuff it would be no problem. Ummmm...... NO!

My phone has been stuck in Clockwork Mod Recovery all day. I am a Tech Noob and don't have any "real" knowledge of what I am doing. Right away I sent a message to my Tech Jedi friend who said I needed to put Odin on it and gave me a link to XDA. Yeah, for a guy like me that means nothing. Thank god he is going to save my *** and try and fix it tonight at his house.

If any of you out there who are rooted and thinking about taking the update from Sprint.... DON'T DO IT!!!

Learn from my mistake. Hopefully my friend can work his tech magic and fix my Precious!

*Typing this from the fetal position*
    Are you sure it is "stuck" in Clockwork Mod?

Press some of the capacitative buttons or power button or vol buttons and one of them should give you the clockwork mod menu, from which you can reboot the system.

The first thing the OTA does is check to make sure every file it depends on is present and unmodified. If any file is off, it will immediately stop the install and not continue. Therefore if it hit an error with the verification stage, nothing would have changed on your phone yet.

I've flashed the OTA and reached error situations probably over 40 times now (during testing of my packages) and never had anything bad happen. I just proceeded to boot into Android after getting back to CWM menu.

BTW if you want to see ahead of time whether the OTA will succeed, run Option D (OTA Compliance Check EK02->EL29) in the Auto Root package available here:
    [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

It will tell you in less than a minute whether it will work and if not, what files are missing or have been modified.

And yes, if all you did was root, the OTA will work. I probably tested that over 10 times with my packages. Most of the time what happens is once you get root, using your newfound powers, either consciously or unconsciously you make changes in the ROM, for example, removing bloat, installing CWM, getting rid of camera sounds, etc.
    02-01-2012 05:01 PM
    Clockwork mod is why the update failed. Recovery needs to be stock as well, so you would have had to remove it first. If everything is truly stock, rooted users CAN install the OTA update. In your case you were not completely stock, although I know you thought you were.

Because you can boot into recovery you're in fine shape. I'm sure your friend will get things going for you in no time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-01-2012 06:53 PM
    All is good everyone. My friend, the Tech Jedi, used his powers of the force (Odin) for good and helped me out. Then we rooted again and loaded a custom ROM and all is right with the world again.

May the Force be with You All.
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    02-02-2012 08:56 AM
    All is good everyone. My friend, the Tech Jedi, used his powers of the force (Odin) for good and helped me out. Then we rooted again and loaded a custom ROM and all is right with the world again.
    BTW in case it isn't obvious, loading a custom ROM will definitely cause the OTA (and future OTAs) to fail.
    02-02-2012 10:55 AM
    And yes, if all you did was root, the OTA will work. I probably tested that over 10 times with my packages. Most of the time what happens is once you get root, using your newfound powers, either consciously or unconsciously you make changes in the ROM, for example, removing bloat, installing CWM, getting rid of camera sounds, etc.
    Got a link for directions on removing the camera shutter sound?
    02-02-2012 12:33 PM
    Got a link for directions on removing the camera shutter sound?
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe those kinds of tweaks are found in custom ROMs.
    02-02-2012 02:02 PM
    So glad I disable update notification since I am on custom rom.
    02-02-2012 03:35 PM
    How do you disable the notification?
    02-09-2012 07:20 AM
    How do you disable the notification?
    [How-To] Disable System Updates & Clear Notification - xda-developers
    02-09-2012 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD