SPrint hotspot use

allan473

Mar 5, 2011
www.nebirds.com
My rooted evo has hotspot working. I can activate it.
My wife and I will be with wifi access for over a month. If I just turn on the hotspot and start using it for our two laptops and run up about 2 gb of usage - will Sprint notice it? If so, what would they do - charge me $30?
I would not mind calling Sprint and paying the $30 fee to have them turn it on, but I wonder if this will cause problems, either with my rooted phone or with my Sprint contract?
Any thoughts?

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Hotspot tethering speed is awful and the download speed seems to be capped at 3G speed even though you are connected at 4G speed. I rarely tether and the $30 a month is so not worth it at that speed. If you are not a heavy user and tether occasionally, EasyTether or PDAnet is MUCH faster.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about the same thing as the OP. I just got Culiken's custom ROM loaded on my phone and it has the Sprint HotSpot hacked. It works fine, but I am worried that Sprint some how will know I am using it and give me a major Smackdown or at the very least an extra $30 a month charge. I rarely use it and don't use much data when I do, but it is super handy when I need it.

Anyone know how these HotSpot hacks work on the custom ROMS?

allan473

Mar 5, 2011
www.nebirds.com
That is the rom I use too. I wonder if I use a third party wi tethering I might be safer than with the Sprint Hotspot. I have no way of knowing. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me (us.)

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Data usage is data usage... Sprint sees data uploaded and downloaded as just that... Data. They can't look at the data your using and say... "that 3gb of data was used streaming music and that 3gb of data was used tethering to a laptop". What they can see is "excessive" data usage.

Just be smart about what your using tethered data for...

I mean, don't go downloading or streaming a movie every night. And don't use your device as your only Internet connection.

I've been using a hacked version of the Sprint Hotspot app perrty much since I got my eVo on release day and now my ET4G.

Fyi... This subject has been discussed over and over again in just about every device forum for a few years now. That might be why you haven't gotten any responses to your question.

Sent from my Galaxy10.1 TouchWiz/ADWex equipped Starship.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Hotspot tethering speed is awful and the download speed seems to be capped at 3G speed even though you are connected at 4G speed. I rarely tether and the $30 a month is so not worth it at that speed. If you are not a heavy user and tether occasionally, EasyTether or PDAnet is MUCH faster.

Also... That's not true. Like I said in another thread, I can pull 6-9 mbps down over hacked hotspot. Don't think those are 3g speeds lol.

elmo

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
PDANet 3.25 now comes with a hotspot option. It integrates FoxFi. No rooting necessary. Both available in the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781