Help with ROMs and so forth

kipdurran

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping for some help. I have successfully rooted my phone but it is still stock. This was no problem and done with Odin.

I have now decided that I would like to take the plunge into custom ROMs, kernels etc. I have done a lot of reading but the more I read the more confused I get.

I would like to try the Caulkin rom.

I installed clockwork mod from the markletplace (I now realize that it was not the latest version) and flashed it.

A video I saw said I needed dropbox and nandroid so I grabbed those too. I just am not sure what to do with any of them.

When I booted into recovery (up volume and power) I got the Odin screen.

Now I get a different one that I am sure is clockwork, but I will get a triangle with a yellow exclamation point.

Same thing when I try to back up the current rom.

My current kernel is 2.6.35.7-sph-d710.el29-cl852097

Android version 2.3.6

I have downloaded recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.5-epic4gtouch but it is a zip file and I am not certain of how to install.

I hope someone can help me out and explain all these elements.

Thanks

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I suspect you don't actually have clockwork mod. Use this tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1342728
Run option C.
Now you have CWM.
Reboot holding power + volume up should take you there. Now follow the install instructions of the ROM of your choice

Edit: recommend you get titanium backup and backup all user apps. On your first flash you will be required to wipe all data (factory reset) and you will lose all setting and apps. Titanium will bring them back. When you flash an update to the same rom, you will perform a modified wipe that doesn't erase data. Hope this helps you a bit

Sent from my Blazing ET4G

Reactions: kipdurran

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome!

Run that stock for a day (also make a Nandroid backup) then flash a theme... Overstew's ICS theme is pretty awesome

Sent from my Blazing ET4G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes