03-05-2012 08:32 AM
33 12
tools
    They're all rooted when the leak is posted thanks to Calkulin. However, kernel repacks that include CWM are usually behind, so they don't come with custom recovery. What I've been doing is flash the ROM and modem if necessary, then using sfhub's autoroot tool to inject a kernel with CWM. It's rather simple but you do need to understand things a bit deeper than average.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    You're definitely right about that... i see that this is not the easiest thing to do... Certain steps have to be taken, so that you don't screw up your device... i wanted to try it out, and see all of the capabilities everyone kept talking about, and i love it... I tried out the ICS 4.0.3 FB 17, but there was too much missing (swype, voice to text, and a few other key features that makes the device as fun as it is... i so i ended up flashing to the latest version of calkulin, as mentioned earlier in this post... I THINK i've got the hang of this for now lol... i just have to install the latest versions of CWM as they come out... i've probably had to reset my device 7 or 8 times over the past few days, trying to get everything straightened out... but through my toil, frustration & sweat, i finally got it lol... Thanks to everyone for helping... much appreciated...
    02-29-2012 04:25 AM
    I love themed ROMs cause it makes me feel like I have a new phone every time I flash a new ROM
    I am the same way with themes. Feeds the hunger for a new phone that over takes me somedays.

Jay- do you know of any good themes for Calkulin's ROM? I am just using the ICS theme from GoLauncher right now.
    02-29-2012 11:09 AM
    I am the same way with themes. Feeds the hunger for a new phone that over takes me somedays.

Jay- do you know of any good themes for Calkulin's ROM? I am just using the ICS theme from GoLauncher right now.
    If you want to complete the ICS theme, [THEME][ACS]ICS Theme[1/31/2012]ICS transitions are BACK! - xda-developers but I don't believe that it's been updated to Calkulin's latest ROM version. It will probably work fine, but there's a chance that Calk changed something in the framework in the latest version and flashing this theme would remove those changes and revert to the 2.8.1 files.

When a ROM updates to a new version, it usually takes themes a little time to catch up. Also, since we're in the middle of a transition to ICS, many themers are working on themes for ICS ROM builds. For all other themes, check through the themes sub-forum over at XDA. Most of the themes are designed to work on Calk's ROM.
    02-29-2012 12:54 PM
    It will probably work fine, but there's a chance that Calk changed something in the framework in the latest version and flashing this theme would remove those changes and revert to the 2.8.1 files.
    That's ok, since that is the version I have on my phone. LOL

Thanks much Jay.
    02-29-2012 02:15 PM
    That's ok, since that is the version I have on my phone. LOL

Thanks much Jay.
    Ahh you're golden then. Like when flashing a new ROM, make a Nandroid backup before you flash a theme. Also, wipe cache and dalvik cache. Have fun!
    02-29-2012 02:37 PM
    ok, so now that i'm rooted, and have Calkulin installed, am i still able to get the regular sprint software updates, as if i were NOT rooted (like normal)???
    03-04-2012 03:08 PM
    ok, so now that i'm rooted, and have Calkulin installed, am i still able to get the regular sprint software updates, as if i were NOT rooted (like normal)???
    Nope, you will not get them over-the-air. You will be able to apply them manually, which is awesome because more often than not, this is wayyyyy before sprint pushes it to your phone.
    03-04-2012 03:36 PM
    Rule of thumb is to never accept an OTA update. Thankfully, ROM devs seem to have disabled those notifications. If you were to accept it, you would lose root and have to wait for a new rooting method for that build. Only update when one of the devs have a rooted version.
    03-05-2012 08:32 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD