03-05-2012 08:32 AM
33 12
tools
    I recently rooted my Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch... Now what do i do??? I know i can install custom ROMS, custom software, but what are other advantages of Rooting an Android???
    02-22-2012 10:04 AM
    Custom ROMS are the big advantage. They give you the hacked wireless tether and more choices in how your phone runs. Try Culkin's ROM. Great battery life and nice little tweaks.

Until CM9 comes out for our phone the ROMS will not look all that different since most of them are based off the stock ROM.

Happy Flashing!
    02-22-2012 10:45 AM
    Even if you don't load a custom ROM (I haven't yet), it's nice to be able to go in and nuke all the bloatware.
    02-22-2012 01:36 PM
    I just installed Blazer Rom (my very first ROM i have ever installed) and I love it!!
    02-22-2012 03:09 PM
    Usually people root for a reason, you rooted just because? Surely, there was a reason you wanted root?
    02-22-2012 05:35 PM
    I love the ability to back up my apps and app data with Titanium Back up. Changing roms is really cool too when I get bored of the phone.

I haven't really used the ability to nuke bloatware, but will do that at some point to say I did. :-)

nnb
    02-23-2012 09:03 AM
    I've seen a lot of hype about a few ROMs... Cyanogen, Culkin's, and a few others... Which one would you all recommend???
    02-23-2012 03:38 PM
    I've seen a lot of hype about a few ROMs... Cyanogen, Culkin's, and a few others... Which one would you all recommend???
    Cyanogen (CM7) is an unofficial kang and has some bugs. It's also no longer being developed. It works, but it's probably not the best option for your first venture into ROMing. For Cyanogen, I would wait for official CM9 (based on ICS).

To get your feet wet, Calkulin's is a solid ROM that comes with all the bells and whistles and likely won't let you down.
    ArtVandelay likes this.
    02-23-2012 04:41 PM
    Cyanogen (CM7) is an unofficial kang and has some bugs. It's also no longer being developed. It works, but it's probably not the best option for your first venture into ROMing. For Cyanogen, I would wait for official CM9 (based on ICS).

To get your feet wet, Calkulin's is a solid ROM that comes with all the bells and whistles and likely won't let you down.
    What he said. Calkulin's ROM really opens up the phone and gives it a faster, new feel. The GO EX stuff is awesome too.
    02-24-2012 11:03 AM
    What is the latest version of Calkulin???
    02-24-2012 02:55 PM
    What is the latest version of Calkulin???
    [ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT v2.9.1 [ EL29 l Fast l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script ] - xda-developers
    02-24-2012 03:10 PM
    Me too! Just today... Ditto! Same Question ....

I have clockwork mod for backups and more ....

Tried easy tether ...

these were my two biggies....

I wanted to tether my 10.1 tab to my GS2 E4GT only to find I have to root my Tab 10.1 too booooooooooooooo!
    02-24-2012 07:31 PM
    I keep reading about FB17 & FB09 Firmware versions... I currently have EL-29 installed... im trying to do the ICS 4.0.3... I'm just starting to get into all of the rooting & installing of Custom ROMs... I need help lol
    02-25-2012 09:50 AM
    I keep reading about FB17 & FB09 Firmware versions... I currently have EL-29 installed... im trying to do the ICS 4.0.3... I'm just starting to get into all of the rooting & installing of Custom ROMs... I need help lol
    Honestly, if you are just starting out I would hold off on flashing the ICS leaks. There are still a few bugs with them and even some of the most advanced users have bricked their phones. But if you are really determined check out xda.
    JayWill likes this.
    02-25-2012 10:54 AM
    Thats what im doing im holding off until theres a rooted version of the offical ics then ima flash the rom but im already rooted and ready to go
    02-26-2012 12:01 AM
    Thats what im doing im holding off until theres a rooted version of the offical ics then ima flash the rom but im already rooted and ready to go
    They're all rooted when the leak is posted thanks to Calkulin. However, kernel repacks that include CWM are usually behind, so they don't come with custom recovery. What I've been doing is flash the ROM and modem if necessary, then using sfhub's autoroot tool to inject a kernel with CWM. It's rather simple but you do need to understand things a bit deeper than average.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-26-2012 01:50 PM
    OK, So i took your suggestion & downloaded calkulins... what would you recommend next/?? and where did you get the root for your SGS2??? I See you are running ICS 4.0.3...
    02-27-2012 12:48 PM
    02-27-2012 01:29 PM
    That's a good ROM if you like the theming. I have mijjah's stock Blend ROM on a Nandroid backup while I tinker with the ICS builds.

OK, So i took your suggestion & downloaded calkulins... what would you recommend next/?? and where did you get the root for your SGS2??? I See you are running ICS 4.0.3...
    Sorry I'm not sure I understand your question. Where did I get the root? Yes I'm running the latest ICS leak for our phone. But as suggested earlier in this thread, I'd avoid it until more of the kinks are worked out or more importantly, you get more familiar with flashing this phone.
    02-27-2012 04:03 PM
    If I root the phone and intsall Calkulin's rom, can I still update the phone when android get's updated or do I have to reset it? I'm still fairly new to Android and haven't rooted any devices yet. Also, will all the apps I've downloaded be deleted from the phone if I root?
    02-27-2012 04:08 PM
    That's a good ROM if you like the theming. I have mijjah's stock Blend ROM on a Nandroid backup while I tinker with the ICS builds.

Sorry I'm not sure I understand your question. Where did I get the root? Yes I'm running the latest ICS leak for our phone. But as suggested earlier in this thread, I'd avoid it until more of the kinks are worked out or more importantly, you get more familiar with flashing this phone.
    ok cool... thanks... yes i was wondering where you downloaded it from... i know sometimes, i read about certain ROMs, but no links are provided... What types of bugs/glitches are you experiencing with that rom??? I also see a lot of videos on installing ROMs, and you have to have prerequisite installs and versions of calkulin's before installing the new software... what's the very first piece of software that i need, that is required for most ROM installs??? i know Calkulins is one of them, which i already have on my device, which was suggested to me earlier in this post...
    02-27-2012 05:14 PM
    ok cool... thanks... yes i was wondering where you downloaded it from... i know sometimes, i read about certain ROMs, but no links are provided... What types of bugs/glitches are you experiencing with that rom??? I also see a lot of videos on installing ROMs, and you have to have prerequisite installs and versions of calkulin's before installing the new software... what's the very first piece of software that i need, that is required for most ROM installs??? i know Calkulins is one of them, which i already have on my device, which was suggested to me earlier in this post...
    Bugs I've experienced with the ICS builds are summarized in my ICS Initial Observations thread here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ervations.html

The only time a ROM is going to sometimes be a prerequisite for something else is when you're adding a theme. Themes are usually designed for a particular ROM, as themes make modifications to a ROM's framework. With custom ROMs, one framework rarely exactly matches another, thus the need to create themes specifically for certain ROM versions. You will never need to have one particular ROM on your phone in order to flash another one.
    02-28-2012 11:52 AM
    I love themed ROMs cause it makes me feel like I have a new phone every time I flash a new ROM
    cjones likes this.
    02-28-2012 12:01 PM
    I love themed ROMs cause it makes me feel like I have a new phone every time I flash a new ROM
    Yeah I totally agree. But his Dark ICS theme is a bit too .. ummm .. DARK for my tastes hehe. It is really cool though. Themers don't often go that far and theme so many App icons.
    02-28-2012 12:11 PM
    Yeah I totally agree. But his Dark ICS theme is a bit too .. ummm .. DARK for my tastes hehe. It is really cool though. Themers don't often go that far and theme so many App icons.
    I've always been a fan of dark themes
    02-28-2012 12:36 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD