Running ICS 4.0.3 on my E4GT!!! You Jelly?

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm hoping someone can still shed a bit more light on this line:
-MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE ROM ON YOUR SD CARD AND ACCESS TO ODIN [PC OR MOBILE] IN ORDER TO FLASH A RECOVERY KERNEL AFTER FLASHING THE ROM.

I guess what i'm looking to find out is: should I change my normal flashing process when flashing this Rom (i'm used to flashing Blazer and its subsequent updates)? Or is this line in the event something goes wrong? Noob question i'm sure but if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it...

Thanks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm hoping someone can still shed a bit more light on this line:
-MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE ROM ON YOUR SD CARD AND ACCESS TO ODIN [PC OR MOBILE] IN ORDER TO FLASH A RECOVERY KERNEL AFTER FLASHING THE ROM.

I guess what i'm looking to find out is: should I change my normal flashing process when flashing this Rom (i'm used to flashing Blazer and its subsequent updates)? Or is this line in the event something goes wrong? Noob question i'm sure but if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it...

Thanks!

This is because there is a problem with the Rogue kernels right now that involve /data. So Calkulin is packing his ROM ZIPs with the stock kernel that does not include CWM. Flashing the CWM kernel repack in CWM itself or as part of a ROM package is causing boot issues for some, which is why he is recommending people use Odin or Mobile Odin to flash the CWM kernel repack.

FYI Calkulin has found a fix for the kernel issue that is being tested right now. So this may not be an issue soon. You may just want to wait until that gets worked out and SH updates his CWM repacks.

briandearing

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh is that what he meant by Jelly? I thought it was a play on the Dr. Scholl's "Are You Gellin?" commercials lol. Sigh, I think I'm getting old.

LOL, yea. Jelly = jealous.

uhh why would anyone be jealous?

That would be me joking, sorry if you didn't take it that way. I know ALL devs work hard on their projects and didn't mean to say they don't just because it's not an ICS base. I've never claimed to be a developer, or to have extensive knowledge about developing. I'm just an android enthusiast that loves to mod my E4GT. The whole point of this post was to let people know that there is finally a ICS based ROM out, that I am using it, and that it is working great for me. Like many others I've been waiting for one of these for many, many weeks (ever since my good friend was giving me crap about how good his Nexus is). And of course, all modification is done at your own risk.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

That would be me joking, sorry if you didn't take it that way. I know ALL devs work hard on their projects and didn't mean to say they don't just because it's not an ICS base. I've never claimed to be a developer, or to have extensive knowledge about developing. I'm just an android enthusiast that loves to mod my E4GT. The whole point of this post was to let people know that there is finally a ICS based ROM out, that I am using it, and that it is working great for me. Like many others I've been waiting for one of these for many, many weeks (ever since my good friend was giving me crap about how good his Nexus is). And of course, all modification is done at your own risk.

I don't think he was that bothered by what you said. I think he was more trying to make the point that anyone can run ICS because he, the person who brought us the first leaks, made it possible for everyone. Btw, how is that working out for you?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maluminse

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Some minor neat improvements. Overall Im underwhelmed. Its slower than before and Ive now lost root upon the install.

Another neg is the power band used to scroll now its double wide.

Its a big meh. If anyone has a link on how to (re) root ics let me know plz. Its ok. Do it if you want. If you dont you're not missing out on much.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't think he was that bothered by what you said. I think he was more trying to make the point that anyone can run ICS because he, the person who brought us the first leaks, made it possible for everyone. Btw, how is that working out for you?

no lol wasnt about the whole cuz i put it out or like that lol

my point was its been out for a while, didnt know anyone didnt know about it ;P

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
So perhaps somewhat foolishly, I flashed 1.3 of this mod a little while ago without realizing it would remove CWM. I understand that the process of restoring CWM/a previous ROM would involve Odin, but i'm unsure of exactly how to do this. I'm not asking for a step by step here, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it :).

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So perhaps somewhat foolishly, I flashed 1.3 of this mod a little while ago without realizing it would remove CWM. I understand that the process of restoring CWM/a previous ROM would involve Odin, but i'm unsure of exactly how to do this. I'm not asking for a step by step here, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it :).

Well, 1.3 of this ROM is based on the FB21 build, so you could go here xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL/RECOVERY][ICS] Rogue *Stock FB27* (Updated 3/5/12) download download the FB21rev2 TAR and flash it in Odin to get a CWM kernel back. Then you could get where you want to go from recovery. Keep in mind however that flashing kernels not signed by Samsung using Odin will increase your flash count and cause the yellow triangle on the boot screen. To avoid this, you can use sfhub's autoroot tool ([ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers) to install the FB21rev2 kernel or use Mobile Odin. Neither of these two kernel flashing methods have the two minor side effects.

OR

You could start over by going back to rooted EL29 using sfhub's Odin One-Click ([ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers), flash the EL29 kernel with CWM then go from there.

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
JayWill,

excellent instructions! Thanks so much for the info. I assume option 2 would simply restore the device to a stock state?

edit: I clicked the link and answered that question for myself. Thanks again!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
JayWill,

excellent instructions! Thanks so much for the info. I assume option 2 would simply restore the device to a stock state?

edit: I clicked the link and answered that question for myself. Thanks again!

Yes it will restore you to a stock ROM with root, but also with stock recovery. You can then use sfhub's autoroot tool (linked within that thread) to install the EL29+CWM kernel and you're all set to go anywhere you want from there.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Calkulin has FC06....I think samsung is giving us nightlies....this is crazy....it was just built today. I feel bad for the themers and developers, they must really be getting annoyed by now. Even most users can't keep up.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Calkulin has FC06....I think samsung is giving us nightlies....this is crazy....it was just built today. I feel bad for the themers and developers, they must really be getting annoyed by now. Even must users can't keep up.

I get the feeling Sprint is testing these builds on the fly, so Samsung is sending the TARs over for each build, and that's where the leaks are happening.

roncad

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Any body willing to help a newborn would greatly be appreciated. The problem I have is I wanted to try out the new Venom 4.0.3 ice rom on my epic 4g touch but wanted to go back to my previous rom after the test drive. So just like had done when flashing the ice rom, I used rom manager to restore a backup rom. In doing so the screen went black and only a blue light is on. I have tried the hold up volume button and power button to get to recovery with no results. I have Aldo tried the OTG reset plug in hopes to get it to go to a Odin screen with no luck. Only a blue light. Is this phone toast or can it be fixed.
Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Any body willing to help a newborn would greatly be appreciated. The problem I have is I wanted to try out the new Venom 4.0.3 ice rom on my epic 4g touch but wanted to go back to my previous rom after the test drive. So just like had done when flashing the ice rom, I used rom manager to restore a backup rom. In doing so the screen went black and only a blue light is on. I have tried the hold up volume button and power button to get to recovery with no results. I have Aldo tried the OTG reset plug in hopes to get it to go to a Odin screen with no luck. Only a blue light. Is this phone toast or can it be fixed.
Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

I hate to be the one to say it but I think your phone is toast. It sounds like you know what you are doing and have already gone through the trouble shooting steps I would recommend. Maybe just throw it on a charger and let it sit for a few hours then try again.

For other readers, please I'm begging you DO NOT use rom manager no matter what anyone says. We will make a thread/announcement when it is fully functioning. And, honestly that might never happen. Just learn to use the recovery not rom manager or any app associated.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it would probably be a good idea to get a ROM Manager warning post up. Too many people are used to using it and combined with these ICS leaks we're just seeing too many bricks.

I'll try to get guide on how to work with these ICS leaks and the appropriate warnings tonight or tomorrow.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

Reactions: dtm_stretch

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think it would probably be a good idea to get a ROM Manager warning post up. Too many people are used to using it and combined with these ICS leaks we're just seeing too many bricks.

I'll try to get guide on how to work with these ICS leaks and the appropriate warnings tonight or tomorrow.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

Also that cm9 needs to be flashed from EL26 with clockworkmod and not rogue or anything else.

Reactions: JayWill

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Also that cm9 needs to be flashed from EL26 with clockworkmod and not rogue or anything else.

Yeah I'll include a section on CM9. I haven't flashed it personally, but I've also read up on the process and the cases where people have bricked their phones.

For me, I've seen 3 common variables related to these "blue light specials" ...

1) ROM Manager / Temp Recovery
2) Touch Recovery
3) CM9

And to a lesser extent, but possibly still related, any ICS Kernel + CWM repack. I've personally wiped and flashed an ICS ROM from a ICS Kernel + CWM repack twice now, but I would probably put this into the "risky" camp. My guide will focus on flashing anything ICS related from a GB Kernel + CWM repack or in Odin.

Let me know if you can think of anything else I may not have touched on dtm. Thanks man.

Reactions: dtm_stretch

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I am in the exact same boat. I have flashed several things from ICS repacked kernels with no issues. But I have not even attempted cm9 nor do I intend to till there is a more reliable way. The only thing I would add, is when returning to EL29 from any ICS rom, Odin the package that wipes completely and start from the beginning. Do not restore a gb nandroid back up while on ICS only restore it once you have returned to gb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000