Questions about rooting

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly new to Android, I had an iPhone from 2007 until September of last year. I love this phone and will never go back to ios. But I have a few questions about rooting the phone and putting Calk's rom on it. Will all my apps and pics get deleted from rooting? And also, I really like Go Launcher and Go Locker, can I still use those once I put Calk's rom on? I really don't care for Touchwiz too much.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When you ultimately get the point of flashing Calkulin's ROM, you will want to perform what is referred to as a "full wipe". This will wipe your Apps and data, but not your pictures. Pictures are stored on the "internal storage" partition (the file system refers to this as /sdcard) and are not touched during a wipe. A full wipe clears and formats /system (where your ROM and other system related files are kept), /data (where your Apps and App data is kept) and both caches (normal and dalvik).

If you use sfhub's one-click Odin solution to root ([ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers) and choose the "No Data Restore" version, this should preserve all of your user Apps and data. You could then purchase Titanium Backup Pro from the market, and use it to do a batch full backup of all of your Apps + Data. Then after you flash Calkulin's ROM, you can restore many of those Apps. I say "many" because sometimes (albeit rarely) restoring App data can cause problems on a new ROM. I usually only restore Apps that I REALLY want the data for, and manually re-install the rest.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm fairly new to Android, I had an iPhone from 2007 until September of last year. I love this phone and will never go back to ios. But I have a few questions about rooting the phone and putting Calk's rom on it. Will all my apps and pics get deleted from rooting? And also, I really like Go Launcher and Go Locker, can I still use those once I put Calk's rom on? I really don't care for Touchwiz too much.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Android Bobby. We are all happy you turned away from the Dark Side and gave up you iFruit.

I do believe the last version of Calkulin's ROM has Go Launcher build right in.

Over at XDA it says:

v2.9.1
Fixed error in v2.9 battery saver script
Removed rotation animation(Enable zip in FAQ)
Enabled CRT animation

Added
Governor options for battery profiles in battery saver script

Updated
GO Launcher EX v2.80

Reactions: bobby james

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks guys. One more question. How do I tether once I've rooted and installed a rom? I have an asus transformer prime and would really like to tether from my phone to it.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks guys. One more question. How do I tether once I've rooted and installed a rom? I have an asus transformer prime and would really like to tether from my phone to it.

Calkulin's ROM has the 4G hotspot hack baked in. So after flashing the ROM, just load the native Sprint Hotspot app and you're good to go. Just try not to abuse it too much! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463