03-14-2012 02:09 PM
26 12
tools
    I'm thinking about rooting my device. I used to do it on my HTC hero before with no problem. I think it was because I knew that phone had been given up on. I want to try the CM9 alpha build. What do you guys think?
    03-05-2012 12:57 AM
    The CM9 alpha still has some issues but it's coming along nicely. You'll want to follow the install instructions very carefully though if you try it, which if I remember correctly, involve flashing CM7 first, then CM9 over it. Personally, I haven't tried CM9 as it's not quite ready enough for me, but others are enjoying it.

But there are other benefits to rooting as well of course, so I say go for it. Rooting and flashing a Samsung phone is a bit different than HTC, so there will be a bit of a learning curve. Read up and get your self familiar with Odin.

For root, here's the best method for the current firmware ... http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-firmware.html
    03-05-2012 02:30 AM
    I have yet to root any android device that I've had. I just havent been able to understand how to do it. I'm usually more phony savy. Ive unlocked and jailbroken iPhones with no problem. For some reason rooting instructions just aren't clicking with me.
    03-05-2012 06:06 AM
    I have yet to root any android device that I've had. I just havent been able to understand how to do it. I'm usually more phony savy. Ive unlocked and jailbroken iPhones with no problem. For some reason rooting instructions just aren't clicking with me.
    If you decide you want to, it's not that bad... There are great links here to help you along your way. qbking has some good youtube videos also. Lastly, if you get stuck - folks in the forums are very helpful.
    03-05-2012 08:19 AM
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna be trying it later tonight. I'll keep you guys posted on how it went.
    03-05-2012 10:53 AM
    If you decide you want to, it's not that bad... There are great links here to help you along your way. qbking has some good youtube videos also. Lastly, if you get stuck - folks in the forums are very helpful.
    Yes, the videos by QBking77 can be a life saver!! I like to see what's going to happen before I actually root a device. QBking explains and shows the whole process very well and sometimes gives you troubleshooting tips if something doesn't go right.
    03-05-2012 11:13 AM
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna be trying it later tonight. I'll keep you guys posted on how it went.
    Before I rooted, I read all the instructions and watched the videos. The videos helped me out a lot since I was able to see what was going to happen.

Let us know how everything goes
    03-05-2012 11:32 AM
    Before I rooted, I read all the instructions and watched the videos. The videos helped me out a lot since I was able to see what was going to happen.
    Excellent advice as well! I too invested the time upfront. Better spent earlier rather than later.
    03-05-2012 12:14 PM
    I myself have screwed up 2 seperate devices and got them bricked by rooting. Well i got them rooted actually, but they got bricked when i tried flashing a ROM. I am not going to attempt that again myself until i am eligible for an upgrade. But if you want to do it, just make sure you research and read everything thoroughly a few times to understand everything. As Vdub said, the videos by qbking77 are very informative.
    03-05-2012 12:20 PM
    I myself have screwed up 2 seperate devices and got them bricked by rooting. Well i got them rooted actually, but they got bricked when i tried flashing a ROM. I am not going to attempt that again myself until i am eligible for an upgrade. But if you want to do it, just make sure you research and read everything thoroughly a few times to understand everything. As Vdub said, the videos by qbking77 are very informative.
    Yup, I bricked my MoPho and it wasn't pretty. I got it rooted but when it came to the jacked way things needed to be done on that phone to flash a ROM, I messed something up. Messing up my MoPho led me into getting the E4GT and I was actually able to restore my MoPho after a few days of reading numerous forum posts.

My friend has been asking me to root his E4GT and I always tell him that things can go wrong and it's my responsibility. There are warnings here for a reason

I loved that I was able to root my phone but I'm also well aware of the risks in doing so.
    03-05-2012 01:06 PM
    Until recently, this phone was pretty darn hard to brick. Although I'd have to argue that it still is. However, something has been going on that seems to involve the new ICS kernel, a possible increase in the use of ROM Manager, and an ill-timed introduction of Touch CWM that all might be playing a part in a rather insidious brick that is corrupting the data partition of the internal memory, rendering it useless and unrecoverable (in some cases). Until recently, most bricks were "soft" which could be easily recovered with Odin. The only hard bricks you saw was from people flashing something intended for another device. I'm hoping these issues go away once we fully transition to ICS and Samsung publishes the source code for the kernel.

Still, if you're careful, follow the instructions and use tried and true methods for flashing a Samsung phone (Odin and Clockwork Mod) I'd say you have a very small chance of bricking this device. Also, Mobile Odin Pro is a really neat tool that has a couple advantages over desktop Odin besides convenience. It's a paid app, but is worth checking out if you do a lot flashing.
    03-05-2012 01:30 PM
    So... I'm trying to follow what QBking is instructing me to do in the video but the odin file won't download to my computer. it keeps removing the files. Norton keep giving me a big red alert saying it's an extremely harmful thing. Should I just try odin pro? is one better than the other?

EDIT: NVM!!! too be continued though. It's late here in sunny SD will continue my rooting adventures tomorrow. Thanks guys!
    03-06-2012 02:06 AM
    So... I'm trying to follow what QBking is instructing me to do in the video but the odin file won't download to my computer. it keeps removing the files. Norton keep giving me a big red alert saying it's an extremely harmful thing. Should I just try odin pro? is one better than the other?

EDIT: NVM!!! too be continued though. It's late here in sunny SD will continue my rooting adventures tomorrow. Thanks guys!
    FWIW, I've never had a problems with the files I've downloaded for rooting my phone.
    03-06-2012 08:14 AM
    "Go For It, Connect Four"! Remember sometimes you'll have temporally disable Norton. This is what I have to do! Seriously besides all the cool looks with rooting, I don't think there's enough info about the +'s to rooting! 1st... The new battery life is truly amazing! Ics is buggy like jay mentioned but def available NOW! The Ability to remove unwanted/used apps, hotspot, backup(entirely), the list just goes on... Oh & didI mention the battery lol 6hrs+ pure on screen time is amazing!
    What was I waiting for, I should've enrolled in "Flashanomics 101" on release date. Fell in love all over again! I'm changing themes like the weather. Smooth flashing to you, keep us updated...
    Here's my Boo Berry Cereal theme lol... Blazer 4.0...
    03-06-2012 08:26 AM
    That's one of the reasons I loved rooting my HTC Hero. My Battery life was amazing after I rooted it. I have odin and CWM ready to go for tonight I just want to know which rom should I try. CM9 and the new FC09 Leak look cool.
    03-06-2012 10:25 AM
    That's one of the reasons I loved rooting my HTC Hero. My Battery life was amazing after I rooted it. I have odin and CWM ready to go for tonight I just want to know which rom should I try. CM9 and the new FC09 Leak look cool.
    Personally, I would avoid CM9 and the ICS beta builds for now, until you get the hang of rooting and flashing this phone. Stick with the GB ROMs, get comfortable with the whole process and all the variables, then move on to ICS when you feel you're ready.
    03-06-2012 01:45 PM
    +1 on what JayWill72, said. Nobody is trying to tell you what to do but given the fact ICS is still unofficial and buggy it's better to learn from a more stable OS and ROMs in this case Gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    03-06-2012 01:53 PM
    Personally, I would avoid CM9 and the ICS beta builds for now, until you get the hang of rooting and flashing this phone. Stick with the GB ROMs, get comfortable with the whole process and all the variables, then move on to ICS when you feel you're ready.
    +1 on what JayWill72, said. Nobody is trying to tell you what to do but given the fact ICS is still unofficial and buggy it's better to learn from a more stable OS and ROMs in this case Gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

I know when I first started flashing ROMs I kept to the ones that were working 100% until I got more comfortable. Since CM9 and pretty much all ICS ROMs are in beta, there are tons that could popssibly go wrong. I was sweating the whole time I was flashing CM9 to my TouchPad
    Samsmalls likes this.
    03-06-2012 02:52 PM
    Agreed.

I know when I first started flashing ROMs I kept to the ones that were working 100% until I got more comfortable. Since CM9 and pretty much all ICS ROMs are in beta, there are tons that could popssibly go wrong. I was sweating the whole time I was flashing CM9 to my TouchPad
    Couldn't agree more with you guys. The main GB ROM's I run are rujelus22,s blu kuban and team nocturnals blend. They are great and very stable. I still haven't tried any ICS ROM's yet, just too nervous!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    03-06-2012 05:25 PM
    Couldn't agree more with you guys. The main GB ROM's I run are rujelus22,s blu kuban and team nocturnals blend. They are great and very stable. I still haven't tried any ICS ROM's yet, just too nervous!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    I tried an ICS ROM (sweating through the whole process ) and although it was really sweet. I just wanted something that was more stable for daily use.
    03-07-2012 08:55 AM
    Thanks a lot guys. I chose a stable rom rather than an alpha. I love it. Not gonna say I needed it as bad as my Hero needed it but it's really good. I'm gonna slowly start flashing other roms to see which I like. Just glad I know how to do it now. Thanks. Any good GB roms out there?
    03-08-2012 12:05 PM
    Thanks a lot guys. I chose a stable rom rather than an alpha. I love it. Not gonna say I needed it as bad as my Hero needed it but it's really good. I'm gonna slowly start flashing other roms to see which I like. Just glad I know how to do it now. Thanks. Any good GB roms out there?
    A name you will probably know from your Hero days, Darchstar, just joined the E4GT development scene and released a CM9 test build last night. Things just got interesting. I've read about him doing amazing things on the Hero.

[ROM] CyanogenMod 9.0.0 Testing builds for Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers
    03-08-2012 01:15 PM
    I can attest to the great stuff he did on the hero
    03-08-2012 07:48 PM
    does anybody have a direct link to qbking77's video tutorial on how to root? I searched for him on youtube, but he has like 500 videos.

nevermind, I found it.
    03-10-2012 10:01 AM
    Got it for ya.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pWjmKCsoc[/YT]
    03-10-2012 10:19 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD