Hi folks, noob here, I am disabled and have relied up till now on my virgin mobile Samsung Intercept that is rooted<a friend did it> for my Internet service as I'm on SSA and have a limited fixed income. Now they are limiting the data one can use which has effectively killed any movie watching and made it hard to download ANYTHING, so I'm considering switching to sprint even though it's twice as much as I'm paying now. Question is, can I tether this phone successfully in any way<rooting?> that I may continue to enjoy my unlimited browsing and downloading of netflicks on my laptop as this is my only outside contact and entertainment source at this time do to my disability. If this can be done, I'll switch, if not, I'm open do ideas! Thanks...
    03-06-2012 01:39 AM
    Hi folks, noob here, I am disabled and have relied up till now on my virgin mobile Samsung Intercept that is rooted<a friend did it> for my Internet service as I'm on SSA and have a limited fixed income. Now they are limiting the data one can use which has effectively killed any movie watching and made it hard to download ANYTHING, so I'm considering switching to sprint even though it's twice as much as I'm paying now. Question is, can I tether this phone successfully in any way<rooting?> that I may continue to enjoy my unlimited browsing and downloading of netflicks on my laptop as this is my only outside contact and entertainment source at this time do to my disability. If this can be done, I'll switch, if not, I'm open do ideas! Thanks...
    Yes it can be done with rooting, on gingerbread you install a hacked version of the sprint hotspot app. On rooted ICS it seems wifi tether works with slight settings adjustment. BUT, and it is a big butt, Sprint speeds are slow... Really slow unless you are on 4g. Then if you are using 4g you will rack up those gigabytes pretty quick. Sprint will give you a warning if you either roam to much or if you use a lot of data, like 50gb+. I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear but I hope it helps your decision.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    fallendaemon likes this.
    03-06-2012 06:29 AM
    Sprint will give you the "warning letter" only if you blatantly abuse the service. People legitimately use over 10gb and up to a hundred without warning letters.

Be very discreet when you tether and not do anything that will tip the sprint system off that something is up with your account and cause a technician to check it out. Avoid torrents or heavy heavy gaming.

Since virgin mobile uses sprint towers...i doubt you'll see much change in the widely varying data speeds that is either very crap or very good.
    fallendaemon likes this.
    03-06-2012 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD