[APP REVIEW] Mobile Odin Pro

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
There are certain Android applications that commonly emerge as "must have" tools for those who like to root and mod their device. Applications like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer and ROM Toolbox quickly come to mind.

Well, I've added another to my list ... Mobile Odin (Pro)

Mobile Odin does exactly what standard Odin does, but right on your phone. While this may sound unnecessary, the mobile version actually has some pretty nice perks. First, you cannot mess up by clicking the wrong boxes or putting the wrong TAR files in the wrong place. The user simply clicks the "Open" button, selects the TAR file and Mobile Odin will flash all the partitions it can find from within that file. Also, if you decide to select a specific partition in the App, Mobile Odin won't let you put the wrong file there. In the end this means a reduced chance of bricking your device when working with Odin.

Second, there's a couple other subtle perks of flashing with Mobile Odin. When you use PC Odin to flash a kernel that has not been signed by Samsung, it increases the Odin flash count on your phone and creates an annoying yellow triangle on the boot screen. If you ever need to take your phone in to Sprint for service, there's a chance that they may check that flash counter and deny service because you previously flashed and/or rooted your phone. But when you flash using Mobile Odin, it does not increase the flash count or change the boot screen.

Essentially, this is what CWM is to ZIP files, except for TAR files, and you do it right from your phone's UI rather than recovery. Additionally, the Pro version of Mobile Odin will also root stock TAR firmware on the fly via the EverRoot function, which is really cool and sometimes useful. Never again will you be left without root after a flash if you use this feature (Pro version only).

There is a Lite version of Mobile Odin that can be downloaded for free if you're a member of the XDA forums (you'll also have to manually download and install the appropriate flash kernel) or you can buy the Pro version from the Android Market for $4.99. The main difference between the two is the Pro version has the EverRoot feature while the lite version does not. Also, the Pro version will automatically download the appropriate flash kernel for our phone.

In summary, if you own a Samsung device (that's on the device support list of course), I consider this App to be a "must have" tool for those who enjoy flashing their phone.

Android Market Link: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...chainfire.mobileodin.pro&hl=en&token=Kc_oncqO
XDA Link: [09.02.2012] Mobile ODIN v2.15 [ROOT] - xda-developers

Reactions: dtm_stretch

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nice write up Jay.. Man I wish we had Mobile Odin for our NS4G's... Not that we really need it but it would be fun to check out especially after all the Odin days back on my Epic 4g.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up Jay.. Man I wish we had Mobile Odin for our NS4G's... Not that we really need it but it would be fun to check out especially after all the Odin days back on my Epic 4g.

Yeah it can really come in handy sometimes. I bought the Pro version because I do like to support good Android developers, and well ... I drop 5 bucks at Starbucks without batting an eye. Why not spend that on something that makes my device flashing easier and more flexible? It's been really useful recently, with the flurry of ICS leaks coming out. CWM kernel repacks are usually a bit behind the ROM releases, so MO let's me flash a CWM kernel later without the binary counter / yellow triangle issue. sfhub's wonderful ADB based application can do this too, but sometimes laziness gets the best of me, and I can download and flash with MO while sitting on my couch watching American Dad, rather than in front of my PC. I mean seriously ... my PC is ALL THE WAY UPSTAIRS! Give me a break I'm old. :D

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff. Sounds like a great application. I read up on it a few weeks back and was jealous immediately.

Again nice write up...

Reactions: JayWill

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I have read some conflicting things, does this flash modems or no?

Also, users should probably still learn how to use regular odin just in case their phone doesn't boot or something because then the app is useless.

Anyways thanks for the right up, I am contemplating buying the app. I was just holding out for initial reviews plus I have a lot of faith in the pc version which has yet to let me down.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the use of the PC version in the event your device won't boot up thus making Mobile Odin useless.. Good point.

I do like the point Jay makes that when conditions are right, using Mobile Odin is almost error proof when you can't screw up placing the files in the wrong spot where many users always make their initial errors with Odin.

Either way, valid points on both fronts.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the use of the PC version in the event your device won't boot up thus making Mobile Odin useless.. Good point.

I do like the point Jay makes that when conditions are right, using Mobile Odin is almost error proof when you can't screw up placing the files in the wrong spot where many users always make their initial errors with Odin.

Either way, valid points on both fronts.

Oh I agree 100% and I will buy the app, I was just wanted to cover that users should know how to use odin then get the app. The app makes things so convenient with all these leaks flying out. I am really curious how the app is able to partition the phone. It is messing with my head. Imagine if this app could make .tar back ups and reflash those.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep you do need to use PC Odin at least once, for the original root. Although sfhubs nice work even makes that blunder proof. I haven't used Mobile Odin to just flash a modem yet, but I'll download a few of them and report back.

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am really curious how the app is able to partition the phone.

Oh I forgot to respond to this part. The answer is, it doesn't. Mobile Odin won't flash PIT, or EFS, or other deeper system files. In other words the files that can jack up your phone if you flash the wrong one. If you need to use a PIT file to fix partitions or whatever desktop Odin is still necessary.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I just tried to flash the FB27 modem.bin file and it didn't work. It went through the whole process, but after the reboot baseband still shows as FC05. I'll have to research it. Its been awhile since I read through the support thread.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I just tried to flash the FB27 modem.bin file and it didn't work. It went through the whole process, but after the reboot baseband still shows as FC05. I'll have to research it. Its been awhile since I read through the support thread.

thanks for checking it out, what about tar packages that include the modem bin?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well here was the response from the developer regarding the modem ...

Chainfire said:
This maybe a problem specific to CDMA devices... I'm not sure yet though.

Regarding the modem in full TARs, I'm not sure heh. I've not yet used MO to flash a full TAR, only kernels, which it does do a great job with.

When the next full TAR leaks I'll probably use MO to test it myself, including the EverRoot function. So far FC06 is only available in ZIP form and doesn't include a new modem.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So from what I've been able to gather, Mobile Odin will flash the modem from a full TAR flash, or as a piece of a TAR image (removing the other elements of the TAR and only flashing the modem). The current version will not flash a modem.bin file. The downside of course is having to download the full TAR just to flash the modem (assuming a TAR is even available). So for now, modem.bin files need to be flashed in PC Odin (phone slot) or CWM.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
So from what I've been able to gather, Mobile Odin will flash the modem from a full TAR flash, or as a piece of a TAR image (removing the other elements of the TAR and only flashing the modem). The current version will not flash a modem.bin file. The downside of course is having to download the full TAR just to flash the modem (assuming a TAR is even available). So for now, modem.bin files need to be flashed in PC Odin (phone slot) or CWM.

Did you read through the 1,000 page thread at xda for mobile odin to get that answer? If so, thank you very much I lost interest around pg 45.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you read through the 1,000 page thread at xda for mobile odin to get that answer? If so, thank you very much I lost interest around pg 45.

LOL no I didn't read the whole thread. I did some sleuthing, applied some common sense and drew this conclusion. It's not concrete, but I'm pretty sure my conclusion is correct.