I've looked around and can't seem to get exact information on it. So what exactly does and doesn't add to the Odin flash count on the phone? Also, can it actually be reset so someone from sprint couldn't see you flashed something if you need to take them up on the warranty?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    werdot likes this.
    03-07-2012 01:00 AM
    The only flash event that adds to the Odin counter is when you use Odin to flash a kernel that was not signed by Samsung. So using Odin to flash a kernel repacked with CWM for example, will add to the count.

To reset the count to zero, you would need to plug in a download mode USB jig which you can buy off EBAY for a couple bucks.

Sn1per 117 likes this.
    03-07-2012 01:28 AM
    The only flash event that adds to the Odin counter is when you use Odin to flash a kernel that was not signed by Samsung. So using Odin to flash a kernel repacked with CWM for example, will add to the count.

To reset the count to zero, you would need to plug in a download mode USB jig which you can buy off EBAY for a couple bucks.

Thanks. So is there a way to always get around adding to it, or do you have to at some point? (besides staying stock obviously)

03-07-2012 01:43 AM
    Thanks. So is there a way to always get around adding to it, or do you have to at some point? (besides staying stock obviously)

Yes there are ways around it, which of course involves never using Odin to flash an unsigned kernel. The catch is, to get to CWM on your phone which can then be used to flash kernels to your heart's content without worrying about the flash count, you need to flash a kernel packed with CWM by some method other than Odin.

There are two ways to accomplish this on our phone currently. Via sfhub's autoroot tool using the kernel install option, or via Mobile Odin. One of the perks of using Mobile Odin to flash unsigned kernels is that it doesn't add to the counter.

Sn1per 117 likes this.
    03-07-2012 02:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD