Thinking of switching from HTC Evo to Epic 4G...

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I need your guys' expert opinions because I really dont trust reviews when it comes to things like this.. I have a rooted EVO 4G, I do everything with it. It is my lifeline for all my other devices to have internet etc.. Can you guys tell me what I would miss from my EVO that I cant do on the Epic? Is the Epic root as simple as the Evo root? Any info you can provide would be helpful.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I had an EVO 4G two phones ago and I can honestly say that the E4GT is an amazing device that does everything my EVO did and more. The battery life alone is amazing!!

Rooting the E4GT is very simple because in most instructions there is a link to a video by qbking77 that is VERY helpful. The ROM I'm running has hotspot unlocked for wifi tether.

Reactions: depechemodegurl

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I had an EVO 4G two phones ago and I can honestly say that the E4GT is an amazing device that does everything my EVO did and more. The battery life alone is amazing!!

Rooting the E4GT is very simple because in most instructions there is a link to a video by qbking77 that is VERY helpful. The ROM I'm running has hotspot unlocked for wifi tether.

Wow, that is great to hear! Did you have a hard time getting used to a non sense based rom? Is it true that you cant link contacts together and they show doubled in your contact list i.e facebook contacts sync plus google contact syncs and you cant merge the 2? The battery life is one of the main complaints I have about my EVo and today holding the Epic 4G made my Evo feel like a 10 ton brick!

dcaplinger76

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that is great to hear! Did you have a hard time getting used to a non sense based rom? Is it true that you cant link contacts together and they show doubled in your contact list i.e facebook contacts sync plus google contact syncs and you cant merge the 2? The battery life is one of the main complaints I have about my EVo and today holding the Epic 4G made my Evo feel like a 10 ton brick!

I went from an Evo 4g to an Evo 3d. Used the 3d for about 3 months and then upgraded another line to the Epic 4g touch and gave my wife the 3d. Couldn't be happier. I liked both the 4g and 3d, but the e4gt is amazing. With my normal work day use, so far I have 80% battery left after over 9 hours. Thats with an hour of screen on time. Also, no its not true that you cant merge the contacts. In contacts you hit the "join" contacts and you pick which ones you want to join together.

SC20120315-172129.png

SC20120315-172102.png

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

I can't speak for syncing contacts since I don't sync my contacts.

I didn't have any trouble moving over from Sense to AOSP at all to be honest. I really liked the different themes I tried out on all the ROMs I flashed. By the time I got rid of my EVO 4G I forgot what Sense was like :p

The last ROM I had on my E4GT gave me about 20+/- hours of battery life with average use. I just recently flashed an ICS ROM so haven't been able to test that out properly.

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well I think you guys have convinced me to make the switch. I was thinking of holding out for the nexus but I'm not in an area that will have LTE anytime soon.

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So I now hold in my hand a brand new white Epic, this phone is utterly amazing. The display screen alone is enough to make me drool. However, just a couple questions, do you guys know what the 2 black dots are for next to the earpiece and camera? I thought it would be the LED for missed notifications but that is on the other side. I havent seen them blink or anything so I'm not sure they are even LED's at all but thats what the book says they are. Also, after rooting will I be able to use more of the 16gb memory for apps and stuff, right now its showing that only 2gb is partitioned for that.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
About the 2GB for apps, that's it unless you get an external SD Card... but when you think about it, 2GB is a LOT. The only person that I ever heard even coming close to filling it had over 300 apps.

My suggestion? Put on what you like/use and then see where you're at. Worst case, shell out $20-ish for a class 10 16 GB MicroSD card.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
One is a proximity sensor while the other is used for the camera lighting and ambient lighting/auto adjust brightness I'm pretty sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
One is a proximity sensor while the other is used for the camera lighting and ambient lighting/auto adjust brightness I'm pretty sure.

That makes sense, the only thing I cant find that I had on my evo was in the settings under development there was a setting to keep the phone awake while it was on the charger but the Epic doesnt have that listed or its somewhere else and I havent found it yet.

rocker22dallas

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
do you mean epic 4g? or epic 4g touch? the epic 4g touch doesn't have a slide out keyboard, epic 4g does.

i own the epic 4g touch and it is super fast, easy to root, there are decent ICS leaked ROMs out. i would recommend this phone to anybody :p

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
do you mean epic 4g? or epic 4g touch? the epic 4g touch doesn't have a slide out keyboard, epic 4g does.

i own the epic 4g touch and it is super fast, easy to root, there are decent ICS leaked ROMs out. i would recommend this phone to anybody :p

I bought the touch too, slide out keyboard and smaller screen are not for me =)

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
The only thing you are going to miss is the kickstand. I have had around 4 android phones so far (Evo 4g, Epic 4g, Motorola Photon, Epic 4g Touch) and an iPhone 4. I use my epic 4g touch when in the states and take my photon when leaving the country.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense, the only thing I cant find that I had on my evo was in the settings under development there was a setting to keep the phone awake while it was on the charger but the Epic doesnt have that listed or its somewhere else and I havent found it yet.

There is no option on this phone to set the screen to always on while charging unfortunately. However, I believe there is an App from the market you can download that will do it.

shane f

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I just made the switch too from evo 4g to e4gt it has been really easy to root and get cwm on it. what are some great stable roms to look at? all I did so far is root, cwm,hot spot beacuase I had my evo tweaked really good.

would love to get my battery bar back that I had on top and I had custom (old marine corp recon symble) as the unlock slide

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I just made the switch too from evo 4g to e4gt it has been really easy to root and get cwm on it. what are some great stable roms to look at? all I did so far is root, cwm,hot spot beacuase I had my evo tweaked really good.

would love to get my battery bar back that I had on top and I had custom (old marine corp recon symble) as the unlock slide

Not sure about the battery bar or the slider but I'm running Calkulin's latest ICS Tweaked ROM and it is pretty nice. Pretty much stock looking with some sweet stuff added like: hacked Sprint hot spot, battery savings, faster, removed bloatware, etc.

Take a look on the XDA forums. It is basically like having a stock experience but better. Good luck with your new phone.

rocker22dallas

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't start installing ics leaks without research first. Calkulin has a tweaked gingerbread rom that Is near perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy S II epic 4g touch. 4.0.3 FC24 ICS

Reactions: cjones

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I need your guys' expert opinions because I really dont trust reviews when it comes to things like this.. I have a rooted EVO 4G, I do everything with it. It is my lifeline for all my other devices to have internet etc.. Can you guys tell me what I would miss from my EVO that I cant do on the Epic? Is the Epic root as simple as the Evo root? Any info you can provide would be helpful.

As a previous owner of the EVO 4G, and now the current owner of a Epic Touch 4G, I can honestly tell you you will miss nothing by making the switch. The phone is faster, and the battery life alone makes it worth it. Throw in the fact that the EVO 4G is end of life, and the Epic Touch 4G will be getting the ICS update I think it is a no brain er.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz